Watery poo, with photo's? - Pigeon-Talk
Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Pigeon Crisis - Emergency! > Sick or Injured Pigeon and Dove Discussions

Notices

Posted 28th July 2019, 10:38 AM

Watery poo, with photo's?

MoHi

I have a few feral pigeon's with really watery poo, they are all eating/drinking.

One of them is sitting there puffed up now and then, but is that a reliable indicator of something not being right?

Any advice please?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PicsArt_07-28-08.46.19.jpg (29.0 KB, 22 views)

Last edited by Andrew2007; 28th July 2019 at 01:48 PM..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Posted 28th July 2019, 01:20 PM
Talking

watery pooz

dear andrew2007,-feral critters do their best to find food/water,and have to deal with predators and the environmental stress..-the pooz show that,so you are correct,we need to improve their immune system with human[infant]electrolytes,probotics-wild bird food,with extra sunflower hearts,safflower,peas and lots of-water,--they could be showing signs of cocidiosis in which case require meds-ie baytril,bactrim,please call a avian dvm for advice-they would most likely test the pooz,for said protozoan,-hopefully we can rehydrate them,and get their belly full of good food and probotics--resulting in their immune systems fully functional,--sincerely james waller
Posted 28th July 2019, 01:54 PM
Thanks James

Rather than wait to get their poo tested I started to treat them for Coccidiosis yesterday, we have a product called Harker's Coxitabs in the UK which contains 2.5mg diclurazil per tablet.

There's very little information to confirm the right dosage, the manufacturer says one tablet per bird but I read on here that they should be dosed 10mg/kg for three days so I'll do that.

Posted 29th July 2019, 06:04 AM
They have to drink a lot to get watery stool.. they drink a lot sometimes to flush their systems, perhaps because they do have a disease or infection or over abundance of the bad bacteria as their immune system is not keeping it in check.

To add what you are trying, give a probiotic after you treat them and add apple cider vinegar to their water as a prebiotic, which makes a better environment for the useful bacteria to grow in the gut.

Keeping their own immunities up by giving a high quality feed for pigeons and a clean environment. Calcium source, and even add perhaps a vitamin supplement to the feed in powder form. It can stick on the seeds and legumes with a bit of olive oil.
Posted 29th July 2019, 10:29 AM
Thanks Ladygrey

I've been to the vet's who said they could test the poo but on returning they say that their microscope isn't working!

They prescribed 0.25ml Baytril twice a day, I forget for how many days. Someone told me that this was a relatively harsh antibiotic so I'm not sure about using it now as I still don't know with any certainty what I'm treating?

If I send off the poo to the lab I'm not sure what tests to ask for, what's stopping me is that I don't really want to wait five day's collecting poo for a salmonella test as the pigeon may not last that long. I think I can get most thing's tested apart from Salmonella.

Last edited by Andrew2007; 29th July 2019 at 10:34 AM..
Posted 29th July 2019, 02:04 PM
Talking

pigeon illness/??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew2007 View Post
Thanks Ladygrey

I've been to the vet's who said they could test the poo but on returning they say that their microscope isn't working!

They prescribed 0.25ml Baytril twice a day, I forget for how many days. Someone told me that this was a relatively harsh antibiotic so I'm not sure about using it now as I still don't know with any certainty what I'm treating?

If I send off the poo to the lab I'm not sure what tests to ask for, what's stopping me is that I don't really want to wait five day's collecting poo for a salmonella test as the pigeon may not last that long. I think I can get most thing's tested apart from Salmonella.
dear andrew2007,-no microscope[unacceptable],-the baytril is a start[10mgx2daily],-keep a running log of meds,weight,issues[daily]-get a small digital-kilogram-scale for weighing[before and after]every meal..kg weight is great.-using a large cloth,wrap the bird loosely [covering the eyes]for weighing-you must subtract the weight of the cloth-for true weight.-a healthy pigeon weighs 320kg..--great job-they appreciate it--sincerely james waller
Posted 29th July 2019, 02:48 PM
Thanks James, he's just under 300g which is a good weight considering he's not that big, he's quite chunky.

He hasn't been eating himself today but that may be as I've been hand feeding a formula straight into his crop since his appetite reduced.