What would be your go-to diagnosis? - Pigeon-Talk
Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Pigeon Crisis - Emergency! > Sick or Injured Pigeon and Dove Discussions

Notices

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted 30th January 2019, 04:08 PM

What would be your go-to diagnosis?

Just a couple of weeks after my last injured pigeon, my cat and I have a new houseguest 😞 I spent some time earlier today trying to catch a pigeon about to lose its foot without luck, poor thing. Apparently the universe decided it was a day for a pigeon after all. My neighbour found it tonight and contacted me.

This is the first time there's been no visible injury out of five pigeons. We have a vet appointment for tomorrow morning (assuming he survives the night) but I'm wondering if any of you have ideas. Wings and feet look fine, no blood. His beak was hard to open, like really difficult. Something didn't look right in his mouth (no growths or smell that I noticed). Like his tongue was attached to the roof of his mouth or something.

It's cold out (about 6 degrees Celsius) and based on when I caught him, he was likely sitting in the cold for five hours or so. He's puffed right up and his eyes aren't always open. When I picked him up, I briefly thought he was dead till he roused. Could be anything I know, but any of you pigeon experts have a guess? The last pigeon I had, she had PMV (per the vet, or something similar) and there are no signs of any kind of symptoms with this one. I'm wondering if the beak and general stiffness might be because of the cold, or a symptom of whatever's wrong.

Anyway, please send very good thoughts. I'd love for this little guy to make it. The death of the last one was devastating. His name is Gabriel (Spanish pronunciation, for what it's worth).