Pigeons available - Pigeon-Talk
Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Pigeon Daily > Pigeons & Doves Wanted & For Sale

Posted 8th November 2003, 05:46 PM
Hi, I have quite a few pigeons, and need to scale down. I live in Delaware, USA. I have a soft spot for animals in general, and over the years have taken in quite a few fancy ones that resemble various photos in the Gallery on this site. They look like Oriental Frills, Seraphims, Chinese Owls, etc., but I really don't know their true heritage - they could have been pure or maybe not. The man who originally owned them passed away. I also have white ones "resembling" Homers that would make great pets as they are very gentle. I don't believe they are pure Homer since they do not act like my Homers at all, and prefer to stick close to home. I also have some young pure Homers that were bred just this year. I need to scale down, but I really want to be sure they are going to good homes where they will be cared for and appreciated - not abused or killed. Most are friendly, land on me daily and like to be pet, and are used to kids and a dog, with the exception of the Racing Homers. I have young birds as well as pairs that I do not want to separate from mates. I love my birds very much, but I am becoming overwhelmed since I have this disease called "Bird-itis" and can't say no! So an elderly man died and I got his pigeons, and an elderly lady can't care for hers, so I took hers in, and now I have soooo many when you add theirs to mine! They have room to fly around and I feed them well, but I think it would be better for them if they had more room. Please only respond if you want a pigeon as a pet, or a racing Homer that you will treat well. It breaks my heart to part with them, but it would break it even more if they did not go to a loving home. From what I see on this web site, there are a lot of people with big hearts and a soft spot for pigeons, so you don't think I am nuts for posting this and can relate to the joy of simply snuggling with a pigeon. Anyway, not to write a book here...hope to hear from others who love pigeons and would like to give some a good home. Thank you.

Hi Rick,
No ferals. I do feed some visiting ferals and they show up like clockwork, one even eats from my hand, but they do not come into my loft - they do not seem to want to, and I am sort of glad since that is the way disease can be spread. Anyway, I have some mixed breed domestic pigeons as well as the ones who look pure. For the mixed ones I was just asking for some assistance with shipping costs - perhaps split the cost of the box and the shipping? For the pure looking turbits and pure banded Homers I did want to ask something, but I'm not even sure what, so you could make an offer and we'd come to some agreement. My main objective to to scale down and find these mixed breeds loving homes since they make great pets. I don't want them killed, abused or used for training - they would not work well for that anyway since they are very calm, tame and docile. I am going to ask for references of anyone interested, too, because I don't want some person who will use them for the dog training telling me they will be pets and then just killing them anyway. I made promises to 2 elderly people to find them good homes, and I take that seriously. Just to let you know, I did purchase my original pure Homers and some of my orginal pure Turbits at various prices, and have raised several babies that I have kept track of through banding. The Homers are AU banded and eligible for racing. I paid anywhere between $15 to $350 per Homer when I got into this; I have Blue Bars and Checkers. I have been offered $10 per turbit or 2 for $15 by local pigeon fanciers, but I didn't care for how they use these birds (seems they end up as food for the Hawk, which I know he needs to eat too, but I'd prefer it be something wild instead of my tame, unsuspecting turbits just sitting there looking cute). If you just want some sweet pets of various colors, then the mixed ones would be perfect for you, since they can be settled fairly easy, and once settled, do not go far from the loft when let out. They got used to me and now fly to me, landing on me, and will even give me a kiss if I turn my face toward them while sitting on my shoulder - so if you have young kids these pigeons could become one of the most treasured memories of their childhoood. If you want to get into racing the Homers, I have some late Spring and early Summer hatches that you could breed some babies from and probably resettle. Just let me know what you are looking for.

Hi,
What a little cutie! Yes, it sure looks like a Seraphim. I have a few of those, totally white. Is yours by itself? Do you know if it's a male or female?
Lisa

OK, I'll bet this is a new topic! Forgive me if it's a bit off the wall, but I'm sick of wasting time and energy on guys who just don't understand how we all feel on pigeons.com. So here goes...I am wondering if anyone knows of a single's site to meet other pigeon and bird lovers. I mean there is match.com, and matchmaker.com, right? There should be a way to meet other bird lovers like ourselves. Anyone know of any? I'm sick of being introduced to or meeting guys who think I'm an eccentric bird nut. I mean what's wrong with my pigeons landing on me and giving me pigeon kisses every morning! I can't think of a better way to start my day. What's wrong with taking in a sick bird and nursing it back to health, or crying if it dies? What's so odd about setting up a brooder and handfeeding a baby that was getting pecked on and would have died otherwise? Why is it OK to spend big money on dog stuff, but no OK to spend money on vitamins, medicine or loft supplies for my pigeons. I'm not eccentric; I just have a big heart for animals, particularly birds. So, can anyone help me out? I'd really like to meet a guy who can share in the joy of having birds, instead of being jealous of them or just not having interest in them. They are a part of my life and here to stay!

Hi,
As this pigeon is so tame, he is most likely a pet. You could put a found ad in the local newspaper, but make the person describe the bird and give the band number to claim it. I belong to a club, and the club secretary may be able to shed some light on the band number, so I'll ask him tomorrow as it's too late right now. In the mean time, you can continue your routine as pigeons like routines, or bring the pigeon inside and keep it in a spare cage with a perch, but I'd keep it in a garage or basement or room that does not have a return air duct and is far from your parrot just in case of diseases that can become airborn and transmitted, particularly psittacosis - it probably isn't likely, but as the pigeon has been flying free outside, it is possible, so it's better to be safe rather than sorry. I've got many parrots too, and have brought some of my own pigeons inside at times, but I also keep Doxycycline on hand as I show my parrots and they become exposed to other parrots at the shows. Pigeons like a mix of seed and grain, and you can get some pigeon feed relatively cheap at a local Southern States - it runs about $15 for 50 lbs, gbut cats carry something very toxic to birds in their saliva - I don't know if it's the certain bacteria or
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Posted 9th November 2003, 03:17 AM
What colors, and how much? Any ferals?
Posted 9th November 2003, 08:49 AM
Talking

CAN YOU TELL ME WHAT TYPE OF PIGEN THIS IS?

GO TO THIS LINK, I ASK YOU BECAUSE I THINK IT IS A SERAPHIM!

THANKS

Posted 30th November 2003, 01:29 PM
Hi Lisa! We live in MI and might be interested in some of your pigeons. What kinds did you have available? We would be able to pay full shipping if we got one. Also what kind of references would you want? We could get one from our vet, and our son's 4-H group. He shows various kinds of poultry and would love to show a pigeon too! We have many animals, including a pair of rollers. They would definitely be pets only. Thank you. Becky.
Posted 2nd December 2003, 07:33 AM
Hi again Lisa. Did my email go through? Wrote one letter but computer screwed up and didn't send. Wrote another, hope it went through. If it didn't let me know, we are interested. Thanks!! Becky.
Posted 3rd December 2003, 08:49 AM
Hi again Lisa! I just sent another email, hope it goes through. Email was right, computer must have screwed up again. If it doesn't go through again, our email is [email protected] Thanks for bearing with us! Becky.
Posted 14th December 2003, 09:27 AM
Thumbs up

I dont show but I sure do like pigeons and have lots of heated loft space for them let me know.
benny oglesby

Tags
domestic pigeons, pigeon fanciers, pigeon feed, racing homer, sick bird, young bird

You may also search for: