New Baby Keets - Pigeon-Talk
Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Archives > Archive - Small Talk

Posted 12th March 2008, 04:48 AM

New Baby Keets

This is a pix of the three new baby keets that were born a little over a week ago. I think one might even be an albino then again it could be a lutino. Won't know until the feathers come in.

Advertisement

Posted 12th March 2008, 05:02 AM
Holy Crap!!! Those babies are TINY!!! Never seen a baby Keet before. They are SOOOOOOO cute. Please keep us updated with pictures.
Posted 12th March 2008, 08:09 AM
Thumbs up

Cyn79
They are sooo sweet! I used to breed budgies and ringneck parakeets.
I love their little snub noses.

Posted 12th March 2008, 12:23 PM
Oh, they are so sweet. Looking forward to pictures as they grow. Lucky you!
Posted 12th March 2008, 02:18 PM
I've never seen a baby parakeet before either. They definitly look...different....and small! Can't wait to see them when they start getting their feathers in

"It is not only fine feathers that make fine birds." - Aesop

~Semper Fidelis~
Posted 12th March 2008, 02:25 PM
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryOfExeter View Post
I've never seen a baby parakeet before either. They definitly look...different....and small! Can't wait to see them when they start getting their feathers in
Ditto! Thank goodness for the parents? Or, are you feeding them, Cyn?

I look forward to seeing them "dressed" too!

very gentle hugs & scritches

Shi
Posted 12th March 2008, 03:25 PM
OH MY GOSH! They are teensy tiny! Please do keep us updated with pictures!

Terry

Posted 12th March 2008, 07:54 PM
Wow, and those are a week old? They must have been micro sized when they hatched! They are darling, even without feathers. I am really glad this thread appeared. I had a pair for four years and the hen never laid an egg. She died, I think from a respiratory infections several months ago. I had a second little hen who was a rescue who shared the cage, but for the most part they ignored her. After a couple of days of mourning, the little cock began showing her attention. And three days ago she chewed up a bunch of paper in the corner of the cage and laid an egg. I put a box in for her and moved her paper and egg into it. She refused and moved everything out as much as she could. Now she has laid a second egg right on the floor of the cage in the corner and sits on them.. He is feeding her from all appearances. I know nothing about breeding budgies. Am scared to death I will not do the things I should to help them. Aside from providing a nest box, which she didn't want, any info would be helpful.

Margaret
Posted 12th March 2008, 09:06 PM

Mama Keet/eggs

Margarret, I have a couple of suggestions about the keets. First...I would take the bottom panel out of the nest box.....the part that has the concave area...and place it in the corner of the cage on the floor where she has chosen to nest. Put her eggs in it....no need for nesting material....and see if she will accept that as her nest. The concave is to keep the eggs from rolling all over the place. She will lay 5/6 eggs with a day between laying and they will hatch that way....one at a time...that's normal, Some where along in time before the babies begin to wander..you must put a ''fence'' round the whole nest to keep the babies together.
Second...you should give her a bit of extra calcium as you haven't been preparing her for motherhood and 5/6 eggs will seriously deplete her. I would give one drop of liquid calcium on the days she does NOT lay...for a total of three drops. And watch her closely to make sure she isn't panting for a long period of time...if she does get egg bound....the same action on your part as if she was a pigeon....drop of oil in the vent, keep warm, and a drop of calcium orally, etc. and SCREAM for help on PT.
Third...start now introducing the parents to ''egg food'' so they will eat it and feed the babies with it when the time comes.
EGG FOOD...mash a hard boiled egg and sprinkle Kaytee baby food in it until it becomes crumbly.
Offer the parents egg food every day even if they don't eat it right away.... somehow the parents seem to know that is there to help with the babies after they are born and they will start eating it.
The babies will be born a day apart and you will soon have a one week old and a one day old in the nest if all the eggs hatch..that's normal.These tiny critters are no bigger than a bumble bee when they are born and they lie on their side or back when they are being fed by Mama.
Daddy feeds Mama...Mama feeds babies....when oldest chick is about 10/12 days old it will start to feed the begging younger ones.
Got a question....just holler!!
Posted 12th March 2008, 09:11 PM
Wow! I never seen a baby keet either.
Would love to see pictures as they grow, Please!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Mark 1:10
And straightway coming up out of the water, He saw the heavens opened, and the Spirit like a dove descending upon Him.
Posted 12th March 2008, 10:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by little bird View Post
...EGG FOOD...mash a hard boiled egg and sprinkle Kaytee baby food in it until it becomes crumbly...
Very interesting information, especially the egg food recipe!

The babies are darling!
Posted 13th March 2008, 02:56 PM

baby keets

Margarret.. Had another thought about warmth. Normally keets raise their babies inside of a wooden box and wood keeps warmth better than metal or plastic. I would arrange a heating pad around the OUTSIDE of the cage on that corner and I would set the whole cage on a heavy towel and I would drape a heavy towel or blanket over the top & sides of the back two thirds of the cage where she has chosen to nest. You will see that after the third baby is born....there ain't enough Mama to cover the babies and the rest of the eggs and the babies have to keep themselves warm so it's better if the whole cage is kept above room tempts,even tho you are in Calif....they are going to need some help.
Boy, Margarret, I hope you can get Mama to use a nest box if she does this again. And be aware, she will start a second clutch as soon as she can kick most of the kids out the door. If she hatches more than two.....don't let her.....separate her if you have to.

Last edited by little bird; 13th March 2008 at 02:59 PM..
Posted 13th March 2008, 07:11 PM
Little Bird,

Thank you, thank you for the information. I don't have a real nest box, I offered a shoe box. I'll try again with the bottom cut away. I agree with the added heat and already have the cage draped to keep them warmer. I'll start the egg mix. I sent away for some dummy eggs, I could only find canary sized, but felt they would be about the same as the keets. Can I remove the eggs and replace them with the plastic as I do with the pigeons? I really don't want more parakeets if there is an option. But I don't want to take the eggs in case she would continue laying and deplete herself. I have the calcium. She has finely ground oyster shell and cuttlebone and I'll add a drop of calcium for her daily as well. If we can practice keet birth control with dummy eggs that will be the best outcome all around. But if she hatches this clutch, then I am better prepared thanks to your information. This is a little handicapped hen, she can't fly due to a wing injury, but she is healthy otherwise and has no impairment moving about the cage.

Margaret
Posted 13th March 2008, 07:41 PM
AHhhh...handicapped.....that explains why she didn't want the box......too hard to get in and out. If you do NOT want these babies then do as you do with the pigeons..BUT...if you leave the first egg until she has laid all she is going to lay....you will be throwing away a chick. You must mark the eggs with numbers as laid and throw away the first two and replace with dummys right away then replace after the next two but try to keep a full set of dummies as she will keep laying until she has 5 or 6. If canary eggs are all you can find....use them...they are smaller but she might be fooled. If you can get white ones all the better....canary eggs are bluegreen colored....or you can boil them as you would pijie eggs, cool & put them back.
Do not give her calcium EVERY day.....one drop every other day until she has had 3 tiny drops.
If you have babies they need a very rough surface to crawl on as they splay much easier than a pijie...not cloth....
If you can get to a pet shop and just examine the interior of the wooden nest boxes you will see what I mean.
You do not have to introduce them to egg food if you don't let any babies hatch, but if there is an oops....they should already KNOW what egg food is and hopefully like it. It can always be given as an occasional treat.
Any other questions....just holler.

PS..I make house calls if you supply transportation round trip.

Last edited by little bird; 13th March 2008 at 07:47 PM..
Posted 13th March 2008, 08:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by little bird View Post
AHhhh...handicapped.....that explains why she didn't want the box......too hard to get in and out. If you do NOT want these babies then do as you do with the pigeons..BUT...if you leave the first egg until she has laid all she is going to lay....you will be throwing away a chick. You must mark the eggs with numbers as laid and throw away the first two and replace with dummys right away then replace after the next two but try to keep a full set of dummies as she will keep laying until she has 5 or 6. If canary eggs are all you can find....use them...they are smaller but she might be fooled. If you can get white ones all the better....canary eggs are bluegreen colored....or you can boil them as you would pijie eggs, cool & put them back.
Do not give her calcium EVERY day.....one drop every other day until she has had 3 tiny drops.
If you have babies they need a very rough surface to crawl on as they splay much easier than a pijie...not cloth....
If you can get to a pet shop and just examine the interior of the wooden nest boxes you will see what I mean.
You do not have to introduce them to egg food if you don't let any babies hatch, but if there is an oops....they should already KNOW what egg food is and hopefully like it. It can always be given as an occasional treat.
Any other questions....just holler.

PS..I make house calls if you supply transportation round trip.
Thank you again. I'm hoping to get the dummies in time. I'll try to find a nest box to see the inside and see if I can duplicate it. I will do the calcium every other day. She just laid the third egg this afternoon. I did mark them 1,2,3, and thought I would remove egg # 1 to give me a little breathing time. I don't want to be throwing out a chick and do want to be prepared for an oops. I have had the keets for years and was laboring under the belief that they wouldn't lay eggs without a nest box. My other hen never did.

Having you come out for a house call would probably be a lot cheaper than some of the avian vet bills I have had. And I would throw in a lovely companion pigeon for you to take back home with you.

M.

Tags
avian vet, baby food, dummy eggs, heating pad, nest boxes, nesting material, oyster shell, pet shop, respiratory infection