Compass is a SHE!!!! - Pigeon-Talk
Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Archives > Archive - Pet Pigeons And Doves

Posted 15th September 2007, 05:25 PM
Exclamation

Compass is a SHE!!!!

i already posted this in my old thread, but i thought i'd start a new one because he is now indeed a she... so here's a new beginning of sorts...

i just checked her and there is another "egg" ( sac, no shell just the membrane) i went out and bought her some "oyster" grit... and gave her a little pile of it... i wouldn't think she did have a calcium deficeintsy ( sorry spelling) i have been giving her " ultracare nutrimin" liquid mineral supplement for over a month ( ever since i noticed she was going thru her first molt) and i was giving her the higher potency dosage because she was molting... so i don't know why she would be lacking calcium. unless the fact that she molted and laid her eggs so close together that it depleted her nutrients???
she seems fine, eating and flying and biting me like always.... do you think i should be concerned?
and isn't she a bit young to be laying eggs? she's about 5 months old now.
and what should i do with these "eggs"? should i dispose of them or leave them in there until she gets bored of them?
i posted a pic of her eggs here on webshots if you wanna take a look.
thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Posted 15th September 2007, 05:35 PM
If this is her first time laying eggs it may be just the one time, but you definitely need to give her a seperate dish with calcium/oyster grit. She needs a good multi-vitamin mineral, not just minerals.

I would give her some leafy greens like kale, once in a while, and a good pigeon seed with a variety of grains and legumes.

I would also sprinkle some brewers yeast on her seed with a drop of wheat germ oil to get it to stick to her seed, once a week.

A cod liver oil cap once a month would also do wonders for her, as garlic would. Probiotics are also in order as some aCV in the drinking water.

You should replace these eggs with plastic eggs and see if they will hold her attention/interest for awhile, to keep her from laying again. She really needs time to build some calcium reserves.

Last edited by Skyeking; 15th September 2007 at 05:37 PM..
Posted 15th September 2007, 05:52 PM
when our girl pigeon Barbie lays her eggs we wait like a day after #2 egg is layed and we switch it when she is not looking and block her nest with a paper so she will not see it when we do it. We bought 2 dummie eggs at a hobby store i think.

Posted 15th September 2007, 06:07 PM
treesa~ thank you so much!
i have everything you mentioned except the probiotics... can i add the acv to the mineral supplement water? and the cod liver; this is the stuff for humans right? i have liquid gels and just liquid; how much should i give "her" ( her! its still weird calling her that )

cool pigeon~ yes, the whole dummy egg thing; i have NO idea where i am going to find some at... but thank you for the "replacing eggs" tip...

thanks again guys
Posted 15th September 2007, 06:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by quincar23 View Post

cool pigeon~ yes, the whole dummy egg thing; i have NO idea where i am going to find some at... but thank you for the "replacing eggs" tip...

thanks again guys
we got 2 of them at the mall where they sell books and gift stuff. I think they were 3 $ each.
Posted 15th September 2007, 06:13 PM
OK...... she pecked one of her "eggs" so now its just a pile of membrane; she has yolk all over her beak now... do you think i should remove them... i think she knows they're not normal... she would much rather come sit on my shoulder than sit on them anyways...
Posted 15th September 2007, 06:16 PM
Oh. I am calling papa at work to tell him to read what you asked about the apple vineger. We give it to our pigeons but only a few times a week and he only uses a special kind.
Posted 15th September 2007, 06:27 PM
Greetings to you Carisa,

Alex just phoned me and asked me to look at your and his posting.

Well, he told you right about where we got the dummy eggs. We bought ours last February at the mall at a novelty store where they have unusual gifts. Actually I was intending to either buy them via a pigeon supply outlet or an arts and craft store, like maybe Hobby Lobby. (not sure if you have one of them?) My wife, Bev, actually came across accidentily when we were just browsing for a birthday idea. They cost about thress bucks a piece.

I see she pecked the egg...they are pretty good about sensing if something is not right. Just clean her up, and get rid of them.

Calcium grit would be good for her right now.I get mine at Pet-co...the grey kind. Normally we give our pigeons the rded grit, but evry now and thenm especially the girls, they need this kind best. Especially after bearing eggs.

Good luck to you.

And, I am sure you will adjsut right.

Regards.

TOOTERVILLE
Posted 15th September 2007, 06:32 PM
Sorry, I forgot about the ACV (Apple cider vinegar).

We use only Bragg's raw apple cider vinegar with the "mother" ingredient in it.

You may order it on line, or obtain it from most any health food store. I paid $2.88 for a bottle about a year ago, and still have a bit left.It is concentrate and goes a long way.

I mix mine with a teaspoon and a half to a half gal. of water.

I place it in their water dish, twice a week.

On the days I don't they get their probiotics, and garlic on the next.

TOOTERVILLE
Posted 15th September 2007, 06:49 PM
thank you so much victor!

and by the way... i disposed of her "eggs" when she wasn't looking... but i wanted to put something there in their place... i have a bowl full of little polished stones; so i picked out 2 similar in size and ran them under hot water for a minute and put them in her nest... when i put her back in her cage she hopped up in her nest and positioned the "fake eggs" under her!
so i may not need to buy dummy eggs after all...

i will purchase some acv tho...
thanks again

Last edited by quincar23; 15th September 2007 at 06:50 PM.. Reason: grammical error
Posted 15th September 2007, 08:34 PM
Hi Carissa,

Here's a link to the pigeon supply houses:

http://www.pigeons.biz/forums/showthread.php?t=9455

You can buy nesting materials and fake wood or plastic
eggs at the pij supply houses. You can also get calcium
w/D3 and Magnesium for absorption, I use CalSure which
comes in a liquid form. Indoor pijies need D3. Might want
to have some Calcium Gluconate on hand as well.

Make sure and get the raw ACV as Victor mentioned w/the
mother' in it as there are more nutrients in this format.

You now know why many folks say you can tell the difference
between a male and female pigeon when the eggs start dropping .

fp
I have been feeding pigeons, thousands of them for years. But there was one, a beautiful bird, pure white with light grey tips on its wings; that one was different. It was a female. I had only to wish and call her and she would come flying to me.
I loved that pigeon as a man loves a women, and she loved me. As long as I had her, there was a purpose to my life. Nikola Tesla
Posted 15th September 2007, 10:21 PM
Hello,
I can't really be of much, BUT you have already been gave GREAT advice. I'm sure other members of PT with girl pigeon experiance will post and add their thoughts as they see this thread.

I just wanted to say CONGRATS on knowing your pigeon's sex!
You have a little girl ! I can't wait to finally know the sexs of all of mine.

Best of Luck!
Hilly
Posted 16th September 2007, 06:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by quincar23 View Post
treesa~ thank you so much!
i have everything you mentioned except the probiotics... can i add the acv to the mineral supplement water? and the cod liver; this is the stuff for humans right? i have liquid gels and just liquid; how much should i give "her" ( her! its still weird calling her that )
You can add the ACV to the water on a day ou are not using the minerals.

You can either give a cap once a month or a drop of pure cod liver oil to the seed once a month. Make sure the cod liver oil is best quality and comes from pristine waters, is mercury free, and not old and rancid.

Posted 16th September 2007, 07:15 AM

thank you

thank you so much everyone! i ordered some plastic eggs from foys, for next time... i just hope that next time isn't too soon.
and i'll be getting the acv asap...
compass is a unisex name, right!?
Posted 16th September 2007, 07:42 AM
Compass is a great name for a boy or a girl

fp
I have been feeding pigeons, thousands of them for years. But there was one, a beautiful bird, pure white with light grey tips on its wings; that one was different. It was a female. I had only to wish and call her and she would come flying to me.
I loved that pigeon as a man loves a women, and she loved me. As long as I had her, there was a purpose to my life. Nikola Tesla

Tags
apple cider vinegar, brewers yeast, cod liver, cod liver oil, dummy eggs, fake eggs, female pigeon, male pigeon, male pigeons, nesting material, pigeon lung, pigeon seed, pigeon supply, pigeon supply houses, raw apple cider, raw apple cider vinegar