Pigeon-Talk banner
4K views 38 replies 13 participants last post by  Skyeking 
#1 ·
Today I went to our local feed store for the very first time and I am here to tell you I was in pigeon heaven for a while!

When I pulled up, I noticed a large feral flock of pigeons lined up above the power line. Pigeons of different colors and shapes!:)

As I was getting out, the propriator reached inside a sack and threw pigeon feed on the ground. Then the loud flapping sounds of pigeons flying down took place. I mentioned,"What a beautiful sight!" The gentleman asked if I would like to help feed them....like he didn't have to ask twice. He cautioned me that some might fly on me and peck my hand. I assured him I was used to it with my small pet flock.

I reached inside the bag, and 10 (at least) pigeons were all over me! I could have just died happily there! It was a wonderful experience to have a bunch of strange pigeons eating out of my hand...and they seemed so tame...gee if only I could take them all....:eek: YES ALL HOME WITH ME! It was a nice thought, well wasn't it?

I purchased a few pounds of pigeon feed and a bag of safflower seeds.

Will I return? You are darn right I WILL!;)

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Victor,

The picture you just painted is so vivid.

I thought you were going to say "I purchased" all the mans ferel pigeons.
WoW! What a salesman!

Before I found this web-site, I use to kind of hang around my feed store.
I knew nothing about pigeons, and I had so many. So, I would try to pick brains. The guy that owns the feed store says everything he has, he owes to pigeons. Even his wife. It is a cute story for another time.

Feather

#5 ·
Hi Victor,

How great that you found a feed store, where they actually DO FEED the local flock.

I would have thought I had died and gone to pigeon heaven too!
I often wonder what it would be like to go to Jedds' pigeon supplies near where I used to live. I would probably spend hours and hours there.

#8 ·
Feather said:
Victor,

Before I found this web-site, I use to kind of hang around my feed store.
I knew nothing about pigeons, and I had so many. So, I would try to pick brains. The guy that owns the feed store says everything he has, he owes to pigeons. Even his wife. It is a cute story for another time.

Feather
Today would be a great time to share your feed store story Feather. We will be waiting!

The next trip to my feed store, I will take a camera and hopefully capture another moment...with Cool pigeon and Hawkamaster of course with me.

#9 ·
Isn't it cool when someone tries to tell you about pigeons and you can say nonchalantly, "Oh, I have pigeons of my own." (Or rather, "I have pigeons who own me.") :p Look forward to pics of the next feed store trip. ;)

#10 ·
Awww only a pigeon lovers dream come true....ahhhh... :p

Bring some home you say? Of course what a great Idea ahh what they hec lets go around the hole world grabing pigeons and bringing them home and then I tell my mom.......'''Uhhh....they followed me home!''. :D

But for now till I come a multi-billionaire ill just stick with 3 pigeons....................... Make that 4 a lady is giving me her homming pigeon to keep shhh...its a surprise.

#12 ·
Victor said:
Does mom know about this?:eek:
Yep she does no worries......but the other pigeons dont know I just hope they all dont get braggy about there new molted feathers..and how ill love them more than ill love the new hommer.:rolleyes: :p

#15 · (Edited)
hi. It is past my bedtime but they let me stay up to tell you guys that my papa Victor is taking us to the feed store on tuedsay after school so we can buy some pigeon seed and maybe help feed the outside pigeons. We will take a camra so we can take pigeon pictures!See you later.:)

From papa Victor: Ok, so I'm a push over. I know it is an hour and a half past bed time, but sometimes one has to bend the rules a little! Alex and Trent are pretty excited about going the the feed store with me this time. I hope we can get some good feeding the feed lot feral pictures. I'm kinda looking forward to the trip myself!;)

~Victor

#17 ·
Coolpigeon said:
hi. It is past my bedtime but they let me stay up to tell you guys that my papa Victor is taking us to the feed store on tuedsay after school so we can buy some pigeon seed and maybe help feed the outside pigeons. We will take a camra so we can take pigeon pictures!See you later.:)
Coolpigeon,
You have a pretty super grandpa! ;)

I hope you have a WONDERFUL time at the feed store. I have a local feed store that I go to & there' s just something fun about visiting them.

Will be waiting for an update & pictures. :)

Cindy

#19 ·
Sounds like you are all going to have a fun time,

I shall be waiting for those photos! :)

#20 ·
Thanks everyone...wish you could go with us too!

I'm going to just get enough to last us a couple of weeks so that I can have a excuse to go there again.

Cooler temperatures in the mid-50's and rain projected Tuesday, but that won't put a damper of our day.After all, we still need the pigeon feed, and the ferals still would appreciate a feeding maybe more so.

We went to the Amtrak train station on Friday night to watch the passenger train come by and layover and always get a glimpse of freight trains going by as well, and my wife Bev noticed a flock of pigeons roosting under an old passenger walk bridge that is not used anymore. Some real nice looking pigeons there.(of course, aren't they all beautiful?!)

Now we have another excuse to seen the trains with the boys only next time we bring the camera and some pigeon feed!

#21 ·
Victor, the location sounds like a good one for the pigeons. It would be a good place to check from time to time for babies falling out of the nest.

You and Bev are to be commended for taking the grandkids on outings like this. Trains have always been one of my favorite things. My father retired from the railroad many years ago and I used to go with him to the train depot and roundhouse when I was a child, plus, we took many, many trips on the train. That was back when they ran on coal and by the time you got to your destination you had cinders all over you but it was wonderful. Some of my best memories are connected with trains particularly during WWII when so many soldiers were on them. I was so small they all wanted to hold me because they missed their children.

lol - didn't mean to get all nostalgic! :) Trains are magical.

#22 ·
Victor, the location sounds like a good one for the pigeons. It would be a good place to check from time to time for babies falling out of the nest.

Hi again Maggie~ One feather ahead of you here...we did check!

Eyes are always up and down too!

Yes, trains are wonderful! Thanks . ;)

#23 ·
Hope the trip to the feed store is lots of fun! Maggie, what a cute story about when you were little. That must have been nice for a lot of passengers who were far from home. :)

#24 ·
Sorry...

We could not make the adventure to the feed store this afternoon as planned. Poor little Trent aka Hawkmaster developed a tummy ache this afternoon...and the rain just would not let up at all either.I could not risk getting him, or both the boys out in this cold rain so the trip has been postponed. I had to settle for Petco to tie our pigeons over. We were looking forward to feeding the feed store ferals and getting some pics...we will soon though. Alex aka :cool: Pigeon has set Wednesday afterschool with Saturday 11am as a rain make up day.

#25 ·
Hi victor,

I noticed the cold rainy weather moving into your area. brrrrrrr....Sounds like home-made chicken soup weather. Hope we get some of that cold blast soon, but of course it won't be the same when it gets here.

I am so sorry to hear about Trent, hope he is feeling much better today.

Thanks for letting us know.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.