Help!!! - Page 2 - Pigeon-Talk
Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Archives > Archive - Pet Pigeons And Doves

Posted 22nd February 2008, 12:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nbdyuknow View Post
...and when I took off her PGWear, this was inside:
wow! A whole bed AND an egg, her pants were really full!

I guess the question of gender has been resolved. What to do next..wait for the 2nd egg

Posted 22nd February 2008, 12:32 PM
Ha Ha, told you so! Bill, the poops have to be seen to be believed, don't they? We had one instance where we had the cock in with the hen and they do the same when there are eggs - hold the poop. Last winter, when our Whitey (the half King/feral girl) was having a problem with worms, we brought her husband Ken in to keep her company. Even without eggs, they were reluctant to soil their cage and would hold the poop (sounds like a short order cook?). We would hold them both over the trash can but one day Ken flew out unexpectedly and dumped right on the carpet, flew to the foyer, did it again and partly on the door. I'll bet I spent two hours cleaning carpet - cream colored I might add - and the door. Fun!

Sounds like she will be content to set her eggs in the cage. Like Pidgey, I would probably avoid any yarn whatsoever for fear of it wrapping around her feet.
Posted 22nd February 2008, 02:38 PM
I hear you on the string, I only purchased timothy hay, the kind they sell for small animal bedding. Presumably that is OK, I did not see it on any list of poisionous or toxic items.

Posted 23rd February 2008, 11:25 AM
Congratulations to Sophie. She is such a pretty girl sitting on her egg and getting her nest arranged. If you have access to long pine needles, they love those to create their nests. If you hand her straw, pine needles or any nesting material while she is in her nest she will probably take them from your hand and arrange them just so. If she had a pigeon mate he would bring nesting material to her while she is sitting. Since you are her mate, that is your job description for the next 18 days.

Margaret
Posted 24th February 2008, 10:25 AM
Hi Bill - Just wondering how things are going with you & Sophie. Hopefully the second egg has shown up by now... keep us posted

http://picasaweb.google.com/Dezirrae/
Posted 24th February 2008, 07:46 PM
Hi,

Sophie seems to be doing well, I bring her lots of things to add to her "nest," and she does take them from me. She also refuses to poop unless I put her PGWear on her, then immediately she provides me with a very LARGE and STINKY present.

Her egg came on Thursday, it is now Sunday night and there is no second egg yet. She doesn't appear to be in any discomfort, except perhaps with me constantly checking to see if she has delivered a second egg. I don't know if I should be worried yet?
Posted 24th February 2008, 10:10 PM
Talking

Well, bless her heart! What a tidy bird! So she waits to poop in her PGWear, eh? Well, I know you will be going through a LOT of liners and possible doing some extra 'Wear washing!

Sounds like things are going quite well. I think some give more calcium at this time and she may just lay the one egg...for now.

Others will be along with their comments and knowledge about hens and their laying habits.

The only bad thing I've read here about hay, is it can get moldy. But, in your case, I don't think that will be a problem as I don't think Sophie will be sitting in "damp" hay.

Again, I'm sure others will be along with their "hay" opinions...

Wishing you and Sophie all the BEST!

I'm sure that over time, you will become familiar with her egg habits/routine and then YOU will be able to advise other "newbies" about the joys of having a lone hen and what to expect!

Please keep us updated on how things are going and what's going on...

Love, Hugs and Scritches

Shi & Squeaks

P.S. Yeah, it's hard to explain about the "smelly" poops...one has to - ah - experience this to get the true perspective...

Oh yes, one other thing...I find that "Nature's Miracle," a stain and odor cleaner I use for the cats, works GREAT for removing and deordorizing some of Squeaks' poops! Petco, and I'm sure PetsMart, sell it.

Last edited by mr squeaks; 24th February 2008 at 10:17 PM..
Posted 24th February 2008, 10:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nbdyuknow View Post
I don't know if I should be worried yet?
If she is not obviously egg bound, then don't worry. Many hens on their first time around only produce one. This is their body's warming up. I have heard of hens that only lay one egg their entire lives, this isn't good when it is a foundation quality hen.

Tags
nesting material, oyster shell, oyster shells, pine needles, wooden eggs