I picked up 4 birds today ! - Pigeon-Talk
Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Archives > Archive - Pet Pigeons And Doves

Posted 22nd February 2008, 06:11 PM
Thumbs up

I picked up 4 birds today !

A few days ago I joined up , and posted that I may have found 2 white Kings and several other pigeons that someone was giving away . After much thinking about the best for everybody concerned , I went over to get the 2 hen Kings this afternoon . Well , to make a long story short I came home with 4 sweet homers instead . The girl who owned the birds ( plus many rabbits , horses etc ) was really attached to the Kings ..... I could tell by talking to her , so we decided she keep the Kings and I would take the 4 homers since they were a family unit , including a 3 week old baby . She is moving and has to get rid of a lot of her animals and birds .

They are gorgeous .... 1 grey and blue , and the others a deep blue and purple . Healthy looking birds and seem very docile and tame although they are a wee bit skittish from the ride back to my place and change of scenery . From what I can gather from talking to the gal , 3 are hens , the chick ? who knows . I know damn well one is a female because I heard a little thump as I was talking to them after I settled in here at the house , and it was a freshly laid egg EGG staight out of the chute ! Can you believe it ? haha .

I have been talking to them and petting them and I can tell they are starting to get used to me already . I gave them water , pigeon feed and some crushed shelled peanuts as a treat . How fun , I know I made the right choice in selecting these birds . I'm going to keep them in a large dog carrier for a few days in the house until the weather behaves and I can get a coop together in my garden shed .

Anyway .... no big deal I guess , but I'm excited . In fact they have coo'd a few times already and as I type this they are really getting vocal ........... I think they like me .

I brought my digital camera home with me . I'll get some pics when they settle down and are comfortable and try to get them posted .

Today was good ............. hambone
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Posted 22nd February 2008, 06:24 PM
Thumbs up

Congrats! sounds like you got some keepers!! Be sure not to let them loose, or they WILL fly back to where they came from. I have homers too, but only my males coo. Hope you can post pics soon! An egg already? WOW! That is cool! i am sure they will warm up to you soon enough!! Good choice!!
Posted 22nd February 2008, 06:29 PM
Congrats on your new pets, I know you will enjoy them. You must have
more than just hens to have the baby, though, right? Anyway, be careful about
freeflying them as they are homed elsewhere and make sure you get some
grit, calcium grit, and calcium gluconate to have on hand for the laying hens.

fp
I have been feeding pigeons, thousands of them for years. But there was one, a beautiful bird, pure white with light grey tips on its wings; that one was different. It was a female. I had only to wish and call her and she would come flying to me.
I loved that pigeon as a man loves a women, and she loved me. As long as I had her, there was a purpose to my life. Nikola Tesla

Posted 22nd February 2008, 06:40 PM
Talking

Hi feral ,

Let me explain that , LOL . The owner also has a blue barred fantail ( who is also available for adoption , and I may decide to adopt later ..... if she cant find a taker ) Anyway that fantail supposedly is the poppa to the chick I have . I'm pretty sure these are all hens . Life is full of surprizes though

hambone
Posted 22nd February 2008, 06:49 PM
Do you also have the Fantail's mate? If so you should go get him. They mate for life, you know and if you can avoid separating mates, that would be best.

If all the beasts were
gone, men would die
from great loneliness of
spirit, for whatever
happens to the beasts
also happens to the man.
Seattle 1736-1866

Another Life, Gone To The Birds!

DO NO HARM

Member, International Wildlife Rehabilitation Council
Posted 22nd February 2008, 07:35 PM
Thats a good point Charis , ..... the male fantail and these 4 were in seperate cages when I went around to see all of her birds . I'll call the girl tomorrow and see if all were together for some time and get all the details. Also maybe that egg that was just laid is fertile .

So what you are saying is that pigeons dont have one night stands .... if they mate once they are bonded for life then ? If that's the case then I guess I can get the fantail too , He is available .

They are getting comfortable . I hear them cooing more often now out in the kitchen LOL . I'm really impressed by their friendliness and trust .

hambone
Posted 22nd February 2008, 07:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hambone View Post
Thats a good point Charis , ..... the male fantail and these 4 were in seperate cages when I went around to see all of her birds . I'll call the girl tomorrow and see if all were together for some time and get all the details. Also maybe that egg that was just laid is fertile .

So what you are saying is that pigeons dont have one night stands .... if they mate once they are bonded for life then ? If that's the case then I guess I can get the fantail too , He is available .

They are getting comfortable . I hear them cooing more often now out in the kitchen LOL . I'm really impressed by their friendliness and trust .

hambone
Good. It would be a shame to separate them. They form very strong bonds.

If all the beasts were
gone, men would die
from great loneliness of
spirit, for whatever
happens to the beasts
also happens to the man.
Seattle 1736-1866

DO NO HARM

Posted 22nd February 2008, 08:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hambone View Post
Thats a good point Charis , .....

hambone
Well, they do have indescretions sometimes, that's bird dependant...but as a general rule, Charis' description is true.

fp
I have been feeding pigeons, thousands of them for years. But there was one, a beautiful bird, pure white with light grey tips on its wings; that one was different. It was a female. I had only to wish and call her and she would come flying to me.
I loved that pigeon as a man loves a women, and she loved me. As long as I had her, there was a purpose to my life. Nikola Tesla
Posted 23rd February 2008, 09:16 AM
Question

Quick update and questions ,

The first night went well with my 4 new feathered friends . I gave them fresh feed and water this AM . They are skittery of course , but seem to be less afraid of me and didnt run to the back of the cage when I fed them . All are very alert and comical looking when they cock their heads and look at me ...... who is this guy ? I talk to them a lot and walk around their cage to get them used to the new invironment and different sounds of my household .

They have made their pigeon noises ocasionally , but for the most part are quiet . I can touch and pet them , although they really cant get away in a small cage , they dont like it I'm sure . Havnt tried to physically hold them yet . I dont want to get them excited . In a few days I'll try taking them out seperately and see how they react in the house .

What time do pigeons roost ? They are like chickens in that they roost at sunset and up at the crack of dawn ? I'm kind of a nightowl since I retired ... they were up and somewhat active at midnight last night , TV was on low etc and I was moving around , I put a towel over the cage and shut the lights off but they could still see and hear me , and I could hear them moving and they were awake whenever I checked on them . Probably just nervous at new suroundings ? How did yours first react being indoors with you ? They will be sheltered outside eventually , but I'll keep them indoors a week or so until they get used to me and bond a bit .

Bob
Posted 23rd February 2008, 10:52 AM
They certainly sound like wonderful birds.

Yes, pigeons roost at sundown and get up with the light of day, if they are able to see any lights inside they will stir and start cooing. My husband turns on the lights at 4:30 each weekday when he gets ready for work. As soon as he does I can hear them stirring in their coops outchack.

If you want them to sleep keep them in the dark.

They are such wonderful creatures, I know you will enjoy their company.

Posted 23rd February 2008, 11:25 AM
Congratulations! Please post some pictures when you have the chance. I know you'll enjoy them!

Talk to me,
Coo to me,
Bow to me,
Listen to me.
And I'll teach you
To fly with me
And I will love you
Like no other....

http://picasaweb.google.com/awrats3333

21 Amazing Facts You Might Not Know About Pigeons!
Posted 23rd February 2008, 01:00 PM
yeh , I love 'em already ! I took the little guy outside in the dogrun for about an hour ( he/she is full feathered but has a bit of the yellow fuzz left on the breast , no cere yet and black eyes ) I think he is about 3 weeks ... is that about right ? Anyway he will sit on my hand already and getting pretty friendly . He's my pal .

I came in and opened the dogcarrier for the 3 others to see what they would do . I set a concrete block on top of the carrier and 2 are sitting up there looking out the windows ha . They are behaving themselves and not causing a commotion at all . Staying right by the cage . My kitchen is linolium , so cleanup after they crap is no big deal . I put a remnent of carpet 4x6 feet down in front of the cage so they dont slip and they seem very happy . The rest of the house is carpeted but they stay out there . ( so far )

The person I got them from put clean fresh hay in the carrier but I HATE the smell of hay , ( allergies ) so that is going out real quick . Any suggestions ? I looked in Wally World pet section but didnt see anything I liked . I saw wood shavings , cat litter etc , but I am afraid they might eat the stuff so I bought some of those throwaway puppie house training pads to put in the bottom until I get situated here and figure out what I'm doing .

They seem to be eating just fine , although 1 bird insists on sitting on the water bowl and crapping in it . LOL ...... Crazy birds .

I'll get some pictures for you soon . I'm just amazed how quick a pigeon befriends itself . I have always heard they are just rats with feathers and filthy .... they are very sweet birds !

Bob
Posted 23rd February 2008, 01:21 PM
Hi, I use the shavings in my loft, and the birds don't eat it. It makes clean-up real easy: the "poo" doesn't stick to anything. The shavings (I use the pine) act sort of like kitty-litter, and helps to dry out the "poo". Go ahead, and grab a bag. A little goes a long way!
Posted 23rd February 2008, 10:41 PM
Bob, Are you sure the baby is eating on his/her own?At three weeks it's the dad that does the feeding and showing the babies how to eat. You said you didn't buy the dad...did I remember correctly?
Any wood shaving that have a strong sent are really bad for birds to be around. It can damage their lungs.

If all the beasts were
gone, men would die
from great loneliness of
spirit, for whatever
happens to the beasts
also happens to the man.
Seattle 1736-1866

DO NO HARM

Posted 24th February 2008, 01:30 AM
Smile

Hi Charis ,

No , I'm not 100% certain he is eating , I havnt actually seen him do so yet , but I dont watch them constantly .

Today I'm going to call the girl I got them from for more details .

If he isnt eating , how can I handle that ? Can I show him how to eat seed ? I believe that I read this is the transition period when they are getting crop milk and feed at the same time for about a week ?

I can feel his breastbone and it is noticable , although he seems a plump little guy/gal. He is quickly becoming my favorite 'cause he's so darn friendly and I sure dont want him to have a problem .

Thanks to all of you who have been giving me suggestions too .... , this is my first experiance with pigeon keeping !

Bob

Tags
cock bird, nesting material, pigeon feed, pine needles, sick bird