Introducing Juliet and Noel :) - Page 3 - Pigeon-Talk
Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Archives > Archive - Pet Pigeons And Doves

Posted 8th December 2007, 11:47 AM
Bianca is ours, raised by her parents, hatched September 10, 2007. We've had a few other babies from our rescued doves but I found good homes for them. I had to give them away because we don't have a big dove aviary (just individual pens) and their parents picked on them once they reached maturity. I don't have the heart to part with Bianca. She's the only pure white we've raised and she's tame and sweet. Her dad, Peaches, is a pied and his mom, Marilyn, is a pure white and was also a rescue. We got her from the San Jose Animal Shelter and my other adult doves came from other Bay Area shelters.

Bianca's left foot is deformed. All four toes point forward and what should be the rear-facing toe is stiff. But she is otherwise very healthy. Her mom inexplicably plucked out all Bianca's head feathers as they started coming in. I don't know why Petra did this because she and Peaches had another set of chicks last year and they were good parents to them. But with this batch, they were awful. Prior to picking on Bianca they killed her nest mate. It was healthy when hatched but I found it thrown to the bottom of the cage the next morning, very cold and nearly dead. I put it back in the nest and thought it would survive, but it didn't. Bianca hatched that same day and we were excited when her feathers came in all white. Then Petra started plucking her, so I had to remove her as soon as she started eating on her own.

I use Kaytee's dove mix as a starting point, but I think it's a little light on protein so I usually supplement them with extra safflower, especially in winter, and canary seed mix, which they love.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Posted 9th December 2007, 09:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by philodice View Post
I'd just let my pet chickens out for a treat yesterday, and now Paris is dead and Nicole is in the hospital recovering from an attack right in front of me in broad daylight. Now nothing short of a bunker will satisfy me, and I'm getting started this week. I'm very distraught about the poor hen being carried off from my newly fortified yard! The doves are safely behind metal at this point, and haven't felt threatened. In fact, I found an egg today, my first.
OH NO! Phil! I missed this post from you...then while reading the posts afterward, I saw Dezirrae offering condolences!!!
What happened Phil???
How awful for you to witness such a horrible attack...and by whom, may I ask?

Please keep us updated!
http://picasaweb.google.com/GodsBelovedCreatures
Posted 12th December 2007, 04:38 AM
I posted all about it in the "Other pet birds" section of this forum. Obviously my neighborhood has become too dangerous to have animals outside. Months go by and nothing happens, then the neighbor cat died of old age and all the sudden coyotes and feral bloodthirsty cats start roaming my yard.

Posted 12th December 2007, 08:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdmom4ever View Post
Bianca is ours, raised by her parents, hatched September 10, 2007. We've had a few other babies from our rescued doves but I found good homes for them. I had to give them away because we don't have a big dove aviary (just individual pens) and their parents picked on them once they reached maturity. I don't have the heart to part with Bianca. She's the only pure white we've raised and she's tame and sweet. Her dad, Peaches, is a pied and his mom, Marilyn, is a pure white and was also a rescue. We got her from the San Jose Animal Shelter and my other adult doves came from other Bay Area shelters.

Bianca's left foot is deformed. All four toes point forward and what should be the rear-facing toe is stiff. But she is otherwise very healthy. Her mom inexplicably plucked out all Bianca's head feathers as they started coming in. I don't know why Petra did this because she and Peaches had another set of chicks last year and they were good parents to them. But with this batch, they were awful. Prior to picking on Bianca they killed her nest mate. It was healthy when hatched but I found it thrown to the bottom of the cage the next morning, very cold and nearly dead. I put it back in the nest and thought it would survive, but it didn't. Bianca hatched that same day and we were excited when her feathers came in all white. Then Petra started plucking her, so I had to remove her as soon as she started eating on her own.

I use Kaytee's dove mix as a starting point, but I think it's a little light on protein so I usually supplement them with extra safflower, especially in winter, and canary seed mix, which they love.
That is so sad what the parents did to Bianca's sibling - I'm so glad that Bianca made it though AND is so wonderfully tame with you. Such a cute visualization to picture her flying around the house with you. Do you use any type of "diaper" with her while she's loose? We'd like to let these ladies free fly in the house after more settling in time - but are a wee bit nervous about the poop issues - I'm looking into Boni's diapers but haven't emailed her yet with questions.

Thanks for the food suggestions! I was using Kaytee's dove mix and also safflower (they don't seem overly excited by the safflower). I did pick up some Canary seed mix and the LOVE that! Almost as much as the love the shredded mild cheddar cheese I give them (gone almost within a 1/2 hr. from when I put it in their treat bowl).

The new cage showed up yesterday -- and I think our eyes were bigger than... hmmm, well, just bigger than something. This thing is HUGE! We may have gone a tad bit over the top (so to speak), but the do seem to enjoy it - they can sure fly in there! And laughing every time they fly up to one of the high perches. More pictures are at http://picasaweb.google.com/Dezirrae/JulietAndNoel

http://picasaweb.google.com/Dezirrae/

Last edited by Dezirrae; 30th April 2008 at 05:33 AM..
Posted 12th December 2007, 11:39 AM
My goodness, that cage is HUGE. I bet your doves are really enjoying flying around in there. I haven't considered a diaper yet for Bianca. Her poops are so small that they aren't much of a problem to clean up and we only let her out when we're there to supervise. I bought her a small parrot toy today because I've seen how curious she is when she's out. She's attracted to the bright colors on cereal boxes, etc. She went right to the toy and started pulling on it and making the bell ring.
Posted 12th December 2007, 11:59 AM
Thumbs up

Well, to YOU, Dez, the cage may be HUGE, but I bet to Juliet and Noel, they are in birdie HEAVEN!! WHAT A WONDERFUL HOME FOR THEM!!

ENJOY, PRETTY BIRDIES!!

Shi & Squeaks
Posted 12th December 2007, 12:18 PM
Man, that is one gorgeous cage.

Dezirrae, there is plenty of room for more now......
Posted 12th December 2007, 12:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Tarheel View Post
there is plenty of room for more now......
Heheheeee.... Thank goodness Dave hasn't realized there was a "method to my madness" yet I'll be eassssiiing into that concept the next few weeks...

They are loving it right now though.

BTW -- just how long will they incubate the "fake eggs". I've managed to replace all four but an just curious how soon they'll realize they're sitting on wood.

http://picasaweb.google.com/Dezirrae/
Posted 12th December 2007, 12:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezirrae View Post
Heheheeee.... Thank goodness Dave hasn't realized there was a "method to my madness" yet I'll be eassssiiing into that concept the next few weeks...

They are loving it right now though.

BTW -- just how long will they incubate the "fake eggs". I've managed to replace all four but an just curious how soon they'll realize they're sitting on wood.

I LOVE that cage. My little Walley would be in heaven!!
As far as the eggs.........they'll never really actually figure out that the eggs are wood.............only that after the allotted time ( I believe it's a little less for doves than pigeons) about 14 or 15 days, they'll know the eggs aren't going to hatch and will just leave them. That's the way it's SUPPOSED to work anyway. I did have a young hen a couple of years ago that sat on her eggs for over 30 days. Supposed to be 19 for a pigeon. She didn't want to go out and fly, just sit on eggs......... so I finally just had to take them away. You won't have to do that though. My birds race so she REALLY needed to be out exercising and I finally had to force her to do that.
Posted 13th December 2007, 06:11 AM
Renee is right--for doves the incubation period is 14 or 15 days so they usually give up and start over around day 17 or 18.
Posted 23rd December 2007, 06:51 PM
That's wonderful!

Oh, and I have some personal experience on the colouring of these two, if you wouldn't mind a little information (if no one has posted this yet ).

First of all, it is quite likely they be related, because the blonde gene is dominant in any given pair. The male, obviously in this was the same colour as the offspring, and due to it being dominant, was passed on. My friend has the same pair--one blonde and one white silky (the baby I'm raising now comes from that pair actually) and all the babies from a blonde x white pair have been blonde. Hope that helps.

The cage looks superb and they look happy and healthy! Congratulations.
I'm raising my own little ringneck dove (he's blonde like the young girl you have) and she's going to have an aweeesssome cage, too. Starting to save up for a parrot cage for her already...And if something happens and she doesn't make it through, I'll still have a parrot cage. XD

Last edited by Vasp; 23rd December 2007 at 06:56 PM..

Tags
animal shelter, baby pigeon, beautiful birds, bird seed, cracked corn, crushed oyster shells, dove mix, fake eggs, feral flock, mourning dove, nesting material, oyster shell, oyster shells, pet bird, pet store, ringneck dove, seed mix, tail feathers, white dove, wild bird, wild bird seed