Quick update on my pigeons... - Pigeon-Talk
Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Archives > Archive - Pet Pigeons And Doves

Posted 14th December 2007, 01:39 PM

Quick update on my pigeons...

Hiya Folks,

I will try to make this as brief as possible and for the few that are interested but, my pigeons (all 3) are doing very well.

Ricky recovered very nicely from her respiratory illness that she acquired awhile back. I put her on a 10 day course of tetracycline and that worked very well. Now that I'm more familiar with the signs and symptoms, I am more vigilant when it comes to respiratory problems and have a better "insight" of what I'm doing there. Oddly, Ricky has stopped laying eggs altogether and for the time being. For those of you who don't remember or didn't know, Ricky is a a hand raised pigeon that was thought to be male for nearly 3 years. Only after approaching 3 years of age did she start to lay eggs. She laid eggs for several months continuously, then all of a sudden completely stopped. I'm still not totally convinced that she/he is not some anomaly or hermaphrodite pigeon because there is no rhyme nor reason for any of this.

Lucy and Eggbert are still enjoying their "honeymoon" on their side of the room, and quite happy together now that they are completely settled. Lucy lays eggs that you can set your watch by. She and Eggbert have formed a strong pair bond and are very determined to raise young, even though I replace their eggs.

All in all, my pigeons are doing very well and I'm pleased with the way things are going. I've still not found a mate for Ricky or have I made a real effort to look for one. One day perhaps but in the meantime, I give her lots of love and affection. I just question her sex and sexuality and she/he has quieted down nicely over the months of separation from his/her sister.

Last edited by Pigeonpal2002; 14th December 2007 at 01:41 PM..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Posted 14th December 2007, 06:00 PM
Brad,

I'm really glad to hear how well your birds are doing. If I recall they are runts. One day there will be a mate for Ricky. That was really an unusual thing to lay eggs for several months and then quit again.

Would love to see pics of your birds.

Margaret
Posted 15th December 2007, 05:39 AM
Hi Brad,

It's very good to hear that Eggbert, Lucy, and Ricky are all doing so well.

Thanks for the update.

Linda

Posted 15th December 2007, 08:29 AM
Hi Margaret...

Brad has posted pictures of his Runts before and hope he will do so again. THEY ARE ALL GORGEOUS!! I became a Runt fan because of his birds!!

SO GREAT TO HEAR FROM YOU BRAD!! AND WHAT WONDERFUL NEWS!!

PLEASE GIVE THOSE BEAUTIES, HUGS and SCRITCHES FROM ME!!

Love,
Shi

P.S. Squeaks is back in daddy mode, happily keeping his egg warm!
Posted 15th December 2007, 09:25 AM
Hey Brad,

Thanks for the update, I'm so surprised to hear about Ricky being a girl, and laying eggs. Amazing!
Sorry to hear about the respiratory infections, glad you took care of it though.

Eggbert and Lucy sound happy, all your birds do. I'm so pleased.

Any pictures would be welcome, they all sound so cute.
Posted 15th December 2007, 03:56 PM
Hi Brad

Glad to hear the great update, especially about Ricky's respiratory problem going away.. You know we really, really would love to see some new pictures.

Mary, nice to see you posting. Have you returned to Canada?
Posted 15th December 2007, 11:41 PM
Thanks for your replies; Margaret, Linda, Shi, Maggie and Mary. Mary, where have you been!?!?! I see that your location now says "Durham region"...did you move out my way?

Anyways, yes things are going well for my 3 pigeons right now and I am feeling good about that. I did forget to mention as well that since Lucy laid those deformed eggs awhile back, they have been just fine and perfectly normal since. Another strange thing that happened but seems to have worked itself out.

Mary yes...it's a very peculiar thing that Ricky turned out to be a female or so it seems after all this time. I didn't know if you were aware of this finding or not but I was completely bowled over when this happened!

I still do get the impression that Ricky is a "he-she" or is somehow an oddity concerning her sex. She is and always has been a very aggressive bird, larger than her sister and very "male" like in most respects. Eggbert still hates her and still tries to viciously attack her through the wall divider all the time. You really wouldn't think he would behave this way if it were another female and after all this time.

Thanks for reading the update everyone and I will try to post some current pictures soon.
Posted 16th December 2007, 07:52 AM
I thought I'd better posts photos now and before I let it slide for months again. I didn't really feel that it was important to anyone, or that new pictures would be sought after so much.

Anyway, here are several that I just took only moments ago. They really are pretty dull and nothing much happening in them but they are current at least. The one picture shows the snow outside and it's a blizzard out right now.

The others just show the birds, just doing what they always do and which is pretty normal and uneventful.

Posted 16th December 2007, 07:54 AM

Posted 16th December 2007, 07:56 AM
the last three...

That's it for now folks, I did take a couple of short video clips as well and will post them later on.
Posted 16th December 2007, 07:57 AM
So pretty!! It's obvious that they could care less about the snow!! Look pretty snug........
Posted 16th December 2007, 08:11 AM
Brad, no way would we ever not want to see pictures of Lucy, Eggbert and Ricky. They all look wonderful. They are big and beautiful. One of these days I'm going to run across a runt and see just how big they are.

The snow looks so pretty. Kinda wish we had some down our way.
Posted 16th December 2007, 08:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigeonpal2002 View Post
*I thought I'd better posts photos now and before I let it slide for months again.

** Anyway, here are several that I just took only moments ago. They really are pretty dull and nothing much happening in them but they are current at least.

*** The one picture shows the snow outside and it's a blizzard out right now.

The others just show the birds, just doing what they always do and which is pretty normal and uneventful.
* Oh how I can relate to that, Brad.

** Wonderful pictures. Many thanks for sharing them.

*** The snow is beautiful, but that's coming from one who is in the Southwest. Our weather is cool but doesn't hold a candle to what you, & many of our members, are going through.

Cindy

http://www.pigeonangels.com

As we fly,
Let us be safe from the predators that share the sky.

If we become ill or injured in any way,
Let us find safety where we are welcome to stay.

Cynthia Boyce
Posted 16th December 2007, 09:25 AM
Wow they look really happy... I always wanted a pair of runts... but when ever I ask for a pair of show pigeons it is always, "WE RACE IN THIS FAMILY... NO GO GET ME THAT CRATE!"
Posted 16th December 2007, 09:55 AM
Thanks for the photos, Brad. Your birds are looking good, as always!

Terry

Tags
beautiful birds, broken wing, nesting material, pet pigeon, respiratory infection