Pigeon-Talk banner

Welcome to Pigeon-Talk

81K views 17 replies 9 participants last post by  FlightCV 
#1 ·
From the Founder of Pigeon Talk:

Hello, and welcome to Pigeon-Talk at pigeons.biz - A place for pigeon lovers.

Here, you will learn about one of natures most beautiful and loveable creatures, the wondrous pigeon, and others, like yourself, who have come to this hobby by way of their interest and love for this bird.

There are many bird species in this world. Why do so many people come to prize and enjoy the pigeon? What is it about the pigeon that is so attractive.
Do they talk (like parrots) in our language? No.
Do they perform fancy tricks? No.
Do they perform some sort of work to make our lives easier? No.
Then what is it? It's something that cannot be put into words exactly. It must be experienced.

Living with pigeons in my life makes for a richer experience in my daily living.

Our hope is that you will find this to be true in your life too.

Carl Gulledge (bigbird)

See less See more
#2 ·
Hello, im new with pigeons and i have a problem, i cant make my fantailed male and female pair up, the female constantly rejects him, and become agressive with him, they fight a lot, i dont know if pigeons have a mating season or something like that, can anyone help me?

#4 · (Edited)
Can you tell me the difference between male and female pigeons, or male and female fantailed? I dont really know if it matters being a diferent type of pigeon or not, anyways the one i think is a female is white, smaller and lighter than the black bigger and much heavier one, the black have a thicker tail feather layer and bigger legs, and yet, a bigger wattle than the white one

#6 · (Edited)
Thank you for your help, anyways, i noticed something different, i caught 2 wild ones (that lived in an abandoned decaying house, a male and a female some weeks ago and she tends to go near the "wild male"(i think is a male because is larger) and court him and he does it back and they calm down each other by bobbing its head at the same time, and the male fantailed tends to go for the wild female, i think he paired up with her, they do everything together now, even bathing can you please tell me whats going on?
do they lay eggs in winter?

#9 ·
Hi......I wasn't in the market for a pigeon , but an injured bird found its way to me.....it doesn't fly tho it's wings don't seem messed up but i noticed it's got some trauma to its tail. More importantly, right below it's eye there is a large cyst-like growth blocking its vision and pulling at the flesh below and around the remainder of its eye. If this were my dog, a vet would drain it. What do I do? I dont have the $$ for a pigeon vet. Right now it is sitting in a small rabbit cage in my house, eating & drinking but very quiet. Help!

#12 ·
Hi Marina,
Thanks for replying.....since yesterday there have been some changes that do indeed suggest the pox. Her eye is more swollen, here left claw has healed, but here left leg is now swollen. Find attached pics of eye, growth that has increased in size on beak, and newly swollen leg. If it is the pox, how long does it take to heal generally? Also, is there something you reco to speed up recovery?

Thanks! Katie & Ava the teen king pigeon (we think)

#13 ·
Looks like pox to me. Will take a couple of weeks to heal. The growths might still increase in size, but will eventually turn dark and fall off. Just give vitamins (esp vit A) and probiotics. You can also put apple cider vinegar in the drinking water twice a week. 5 ml acv to 1 litre of water. This will help with the good gut bacteria.

They can get secondary infections like canker, so you need to look out for that. Can be treated with metronidazole. If she is unable to eat due to the growths, you can handfeed her defrosted green peas. An pigeon this size will need 150 to 200 peas per day, divided into 3 meals of 50 to 70.

I will be away till Tuesday, so won't be able to assist till then. Hope she will be ok.

#16 ·
Hello All. I'm new to Pigeons.biz. My husband (and I) are new pigeon parents. He actually raised pigeons in his country as a youth. A friend gave him a pair month ago. They are very happy, already mated and had two eggs, unfortunately neither egg survived. But they are happy and we are waiting for them raise some offspring before letting them out. For now, they're enjoying the garage loft very much and come to the cage to eat, drink and
Vertebrate Pet supply Mammal Carnivore Terrestrial animal
during a storm. We are excited to be a part of this great community.
Donna

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.