AGSG birds needing home, are welcome, in Ohio - Pigeon-Talk
Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Archives > Archive - AGSG / Pigeon King Birds

Posted 27th December 2008, 04:47 PM

AGSG birds needing home, are welcome, in Ohio

Howdy. I have been reading on these turned loose birds and feel that I have to do my part, so, if any are located within driving distance of my home which is fifty miles east of Cincinnati (in Hillsboro), I will take them in "forever home" status. I have ten acres and a dozen racing pigeons, and can build a loft in a weekend, when needed.

I am NOT a dog trainer nor a hunter. Well, that isn't actually true. I do train dogs, but only to sit and roll over

Here is one of my two lofts. The other has my prisoner homers in it, and is not pictured. If anyone wants my phone number or email address, just ask via a private message. I do not want to ship birds if possible. My birds are well taken care of, and always will be, unless I die, and I will try my best to not die anytime soon

Last edited by conditionfreak; 27th December 2008 at 11:58 PM.. Reason: misspelled words
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Posted 27th December 2008, 05:05 PM
That's very kind and generous of you. Not many are being found now, but once in a while someone comes across one. I think for the most part, they're 1. dead now, 2. have learned to survive somewhere or 3..I expect that a FEW have been found by people who just decided to keep them cause they're such neat birds.

PS: That's a CUTE loft............
Posted 27th December 2008, 05:17 PM
That's a lovely, kind and generous offer.
Thank you.

If all the beasts were
gone, men would die
from great loneliness of
spirit, for whatever
happens to the beasts
also happens to the man.
Seattle 1736-1866

Another Life, Gone To The Birds!

DO NO HARM

Member, International Wildlife Rehabilitation Council

Posted 27th December 2008, 06:07 PM
Thanks. Yea, it's "cute", but I am not much of a handy man. I got the plans from this site and just did what it said. Although I did make some minor changes. It was fun and worked out nicely. My other loft, where I keep my prisoners (I don't have a pic right now), is a shed attached to dog kennel fencing. They have a lot of room to fly around in it. The floor is concrete.

Here is where I got the plans for my loft in the pic. I am going to put another beside this one, on the other side of the flag. I call my loft "Marine One Lofts" because of my background in the Marine Corps.

http://www.redroselofts.com/starter_loft.htm

It's a shame about the birds that were let out to fend on their own. They do not look like birds that would fair well in the wild. It's hard enough for the racers in the wild, let alone those that don't fly as well and as fast.
LokotaLoft
Posted 27th December 2008, 09:24 PM
looks like a great place for a pigeon to call home I hope you are blessed with many new adoptees to come
Posted 27th December 2008, 10:40 PM
Thank you, conditionfreak! We greatly appreciate your offer. If a banded bird turns up in your area (AGSG or otherwise) that needs a place, you are definitely on the list!

Terry

Posted 28th December 2008, 11:07 PM
God bless you for having a big heart and share your time and space with all these birds.

Ivette
Posted 29th December 2008, 04:32 PM
You have made a very generous offer to take in some of the AGSG birds.

I really like your loft. I'm especially intrigued with the, for lack of a better description - the "carrying handles" you made from what looks like 2 x 4's. If that is what they are on either side of the loft, that is very ingenious - you can set the loft anyplace in your yard.
Posted 1st January 2009, 05:54 PM
Yep. Those handles slide in and out and allow four people to carry the loft. As per the original plans which I linked above, this is one thing I changed. The original plans stated that the loft will fitt in the back of a pick up truck and I decided to make it easier to carry in case I ever do have to move it.

I originally built the loft on a two wheeled trailer I use for farm stuff (about 5' x 8') and intended to leave it on the trailer and move it to cut grass or whatever. But, because of a few things that popped up, I decided to make it stationary instead of mobile. One of the problems being the the tongue of the trailer bent with the weight of the loft and ME in the loft, towards the front. I guess I better go on a diet . The tongue was old iron anyway though. So I made the tongue shorter (it was very long) and that solved that problem, but I still decided to make the loft stationary, with the handles allowing 2" x 4"s to be able to slide inside the handles and lift the whole thing. Also, I use the trailer for other stuff.

In case you didn't notice, I have two pieces of rubber matting on the floor. Each four by six, although the floor is only 4 x 8. That way, I simply scrap the perches, and then pull the mats out and spray them off with a power washer. It is so much better than scraping the floor.

Last edited by conditionfreak; 1st January 2009 at 05:57 PM..
Posted 7th January 2009, 04:51 PM
Nice loft, and thanks for serving our country to keep it safe. when were you corps?

~Scott~
Posted 9th January 2009, 02:52 PM
Marines Oct 72 until Jan 80. Then Navy Jan 80 thru June 80. Staff Sergeant and Yeoman 1st Class respectively.
Posted 10th January 2009, 11:31 PM
Thats very cool. Thanks for serving our country. 72 till 80, does that mean you were in vietnam? Again thanks for serving!

~Scott~
Posted 11th January 2009, 11:40 AM
SEMPER FI.... GEORGE
Posted 11th January 2009, 06:34 PM
Not Nam. Cambodia. Semper Fidelis..
Posted 12th January 2009, 03:00 PM
Well.... where ever it was. Thanks

~Scott~

Tags
agsg