I found a banded pigeon - Pigeon-Talk
Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Archives > Archive - AGSG / Pigeon King Birds

Posted 4th September 2009, 11:30 AM

I found a banded pigeon

I just found a pigeon in my backyard. He is black and appears to be uninjured. After a little research, I caught him and put him in my garage to keep him safe from cats. During the process I learned he is capable of flying but seems reluctant to do so. I left some seeds and water with him while I ponder what to do next.

He has a plain white band on his left leg and another band on his right leg with the following: AGSG 07 (07 is sideways to the lettering) and then the number 570604. Does this mean anything to anyone. My knowledge of pigeons is minimal. You can email me at [email protected]

I'll probably just release him in a few hours if I can't figure out a better course of action as I'm probably doing more harm than good by keeping him. Thanks to anyone in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Posted 4th September 2009, 11:41 AM
THANK YOU for helping him.

There are many members who can assit you in researching and finding his owner... I would advise you to keep him until they do so.

A lot of our members will pop- in and out throughout the day... A few hours may not be giving them enough time to help you. Please keep the bird... you did a very good thing buy keeping him safe, continue to do that and I know others will be along to help you... I would say your looking at keeping the bird a day or so at very least.

And THANK you so much for helping him.

In the meantime I'm not sure where you are located, but you might want to list that as well.
Please offer him water with a little pinch of salt and sugar~ to rehydrate him.... he is probably dehydrated in his search for home. Pigeons will suck up their water like a straw so he needs a dish at least 2inches deep to be able to do that.
Do you see any injuries on the bird at all?

HANG in there- HELP is on it way....

One of my Favorite Quotes: You cannot do a kindness too soon~for you never know how soon it will be too late."
Posted 4th September 2009, 11:47 AM
Now that I think about it ... tracing the band will be a lost cause. AGSG birds have no hope of being traced. Let me find more info...(I'll post back in a bit)

PLEASE list your location. If you are unwilling to keep the bird yourself, We will need to find a new home for him...
PLEASE do not release him... Can you upload a photo for us??

One of my Favorite Quotes: You cannot do a kindness too soon~for you never know how soon it will be too late."

Last edited by FloridaLuv; 4th September 2009 at 12:20 PM..

Posted 4th September 2009, 11:52 AM
AGSG birds were released after a scam to fend for themselves.
As Floridaluv said - PLEASE DO NOT release this bird, they don't know how to survive on their own.
I'm writing from work, so I can't dig up info. But Floridaluv and others will be along with the info you need.

http://cottageontheseacoastloft.weebly.com/index.html
"In Solitude there is Strength, In Strength there is Spirit"
Posted 4th September 2009, 12:02 PM
OK here is a post that you can read to give you a little information on how these birds have been treated....

WHATEVER YOU DO, I am begging you to please keep him safe, I will do anything I can to help you.

Here is the post: It is SAD what these poor bird have been through.

http://www.pigeons.biz/forums/f46/em...t=AGSG+pigeons

Please list your location so we can find a member close enough to help you out.

Last edited by FloridaLuv; 4th September 2009 at 12:17 PM..
Posted 4th September 2009, 12:18 PM
relford~
I have also sent you an email.... Be on the look out for it.

Posted 4th September 2009, 05:17 PM

Thanks for the info

I am quite rusty at these forums so I hope I'm doing this right. My thanks to Floridaluv and Msfreebird for the further info. I will look into the links when I get a few more minutes. I live in London Ont. I just checked on him and he still seems ok. I'll keep him fed and watered.

Are AGSG birds domestic pets? I'm worried about being cruel to a wild animal by not releasing him but a few years ago we adopted a rabbit under similar circumstances. I'll keep him until tomorrow to give me more time to figure out what to do. I'm not sure now to post a photo to this forum but I'll try to send one to Floridaluv's email later. Thanks again.

Rob
Posted 4th September 2009, 09:14 PM
They are "pigeon" farm raised. They have never been outside the coop....and were releeased on purpose. They were originally raing or show breeds bred for human food....which is not the way it is done.

There was a BIG scam that happened and dozens of these farms went under. They weren't able to care for the birds so they let them go....which was wrong. They do not know how to do it on their own.
We are talking about thousands of birds....and only a few in comparison have been found.

A single pigeon is a shining target to a hawk or other predator. They have never seen these predators....
They also have a hard time hunting for food, because it was always gave in a food bowl.

PLEASE keep a hold of him...don't let him go. You aren't being mean, you ARE saving his life!

-Hilly
Posted 4th September 2009, 10:19 PM
HI- Rob~ Your not Rusty at all- you did just fine!

Yep- Hilly is RIGHT on the money!

PLEASE....PLEASE......PLEASE......
DO not just let this poor bird fly free.... He doesn't know any better. How will he defend himself???? We have members in Canada. But I will need time to locate someone to help us.

I know that I have asked you by email. But I will ask again here:

Are you interested in keeping this pigeon as a pet?

He will need a home where he will NOT be released. Like I have said in the email.. I have several birds that are all indoor pets and I would gladly help you decide on cages, etc. AS will all the members here. It is not cruel to keep him, it is cruel to release him back outside IMHO! HE is not a wild animal... he would be MOST grateful if you would offer him a forever home... BUT if this is not possible. I will need you to be patient while we find him a home....This bird deserves a chance. Maybe thats a good name for him! Chance... LOL Please send me photos when you get a chance and I will post them here for you-

Posted 5th September 2009, 04:57 AM
Thanks to all who provided the information about my found pigeon. I actually have a subscription to Macleans magazine and I remember reading the article about Pigeon King. Quite a scam indeed. Anyway, I'll keep him safe. I'm not sure if I'm up to keeping him as a pet. I'll read up on what is involved to better understand what kind of commitment it will be. If anyone knows of someone in the London area who can provide a home for him, please let me know here or via email [email protected] .
Posted 5th September 2009, 11:12 AM
i am in ingersoll witch is like 20 min from there let me know if you need help with him still
Posted 9th September 2009, 07:07 PM
Hey Rob~

just checking to see how things were going with the Pijie.... Have you made any decisions on if he will become an addition to your family yet??

Anxious to hear!

~Jenn~

Posted 20th September 2009, 09:08 AM

Update on AGSG found pigeon

I thought I would post an update. Thanks to FloridaLuv for the emails. Also, thanks to the others in this thread for the information so far. I haven't been able to contact Mookeeman because he's busy. Our kids named the pigeon "Pudgey" and he seems to be doing well.

I still am feeling conflicted about keeping him captive, however. He is definitely flying better than the day I caught him and he tries to avoid capture (we let him fly around our garage) so I don't think he will ever bond with us the way, say, a dog would (or a pigeon raised from birth). I also wonder about the cruelty of keeping him alone, as we're not up to getting other pigeons. I still doubt his overall survival skills, though. I've been reading a lot of the posts on this website and learning quite a lot. Based on some of the posts, he sounds like he might be able to be released. Others say he would probably not survive.

I'm probably just complicating my decision, but I would like some opinions about this situation. Has anyone successfully released one of these AGSG birds? Is there evidence that they can survive winters, cars, etc. Can they be introduced to the wild? Should he be in a loft or aviary (it sounds like that is what Mookeeman could offer) or is it possible he will eventually lose his fear of us and become more of a pet? If we brought him into our house now, he would probably injure himself trying to avoid us and keeping him in his cage all the time seems wrong. On one side of the debate: he paces in his cage and flies well when he can, so he seems like he would be happier being free. We could still leave food for him as well. On the other side: I've never seen other pigeons around here so I don't know what kind of time he would have of it on his own. Also, there are cats in our neighbourhood.

It's a dilemma because he was raised as a farm animal. He's neither a pet nor wild. Mookeeman is willing to take him but I'm still not sure if that's the right thing either. Anyway, I eagerly await your opinions. l like to help animals, but I want them to have the lives they should. I want what's best for Pudgey. Thanks.
Posted 20th September 2009, 09:25 PM
Well, my personal opinion is that Pudgey should NOT be released as his/her chances of long term survival are somewhere between slim and none. Mookeeman is young and busy as young people are, BUT I wouldn't give up on him as a good home for Pudgey. Likewise, I wouldn't wait forever for this to work out. Why don't you let us know what your timeframe is, and we'll see if we can line up a back up plan or two for you and Pudgey.

Terry

Posted 20th September 2009, 09:33 PM
NOOOOOO...NOOOO...NOOOOO Rob... I know you think he might be able to survive, but I highly disagree with you! Please do not release him! If it is the only thing from my email that I could stress it would be that keeping him is most certainly not cruel in any sort of way...... Lets do as Terry suggested and find a home... Can MookeeMan take him? I thought he mentioned that he could?? A home with other birds would suit him just great! But surviving on his own is a death wish, he has been through enough- Im am just asking you to please not release him.