Sad ending for a white pigeon with AGSG band - Pigeon-Talk
Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Archives > Archive - AGSG / Pigeon King Birds

Posted 15th August 2008, 08:27 PM
Unhappy

Sad ending for a white pigeon with AGSG band

I just wanted to let you know about my visitors I have had starting this year. I have had a horse stable at this location for 15 years and never even saw a pigeon here. I had a pair nest in the roof and raise 2 babies and several others have moved in. One day I saw a white pigeon that was beautiful and it stayed. It seemed to be following me around the farm and it just seemed to be everywhere I was!! I noticed it had a band on its leg and was concerned it was a lost pet. I know nothing of pigeons, but we have chickens- all have names and are pets only!! Our chickens are cage free and the barn cats don't bother them- not even the gunea pigs that run free.. this morning I went to the barn and found my white pigeon had been caught by a cat and was dying. I was very upset!!!! It had a plain white band and a band with the AGSG 07 519700. I will not allow this to happen again. I really liked the pigeon and just thought it would fly away if the cats came near. Is there any suggestions on how to handle this situation. The cats are not attracted to the regular pigeons or they are a little "cat" smart.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Posted 15th August 2008, 09:55 PM
Hi Lovethebirds and welcome to Pigeon-Talk. I am so very sorry the AGSG bird fell victim to the cats. If you will read this thread and click on the links contained in several of the posts, you will find the whole sad story of the AGSG banded birds: http://www.pigeons.biz/forums/showthread.php?t=29054

These birds were bred in captivity and lived in captivity their entire lives and have little or no ability to survive on their own. Sadly, many of these birds have been released to fend for themselves as their owners could no longer afford to care for them.

We are seeing these birds show up in many different areas of Canada and the U.S. and are trying to assist those finding the birds with getting set up to care for them or to help in finding good homes for them.

If you wouldn't mind sharing where you are located, it would be helpful to us in keeping up with where these birds are being found.

There are several threads here on Pigeon-Talk about other AGSG birds that have been found in case you are interested.

Should another AGSG bird show up (or any banded pigeon for that matter), please let us know here on Pigeon-Talk. It would be best to catch and safely confine any such pigeons in a predator proof enclosure and provide food and water. Often such pigeons are verging on starvation and may be injured and/or ill as well.

Terry

Posted 16th August 2008, 05:17 AM

Thanks..

I live in central PA- yes I would be interested in helping these birds- this white bird seemed like it wanted a freind. I feel so bad didn't know and it was defenseless. The other pigeons that moved in do not have leg bands. Thanks for the information.

Posted 16th August 2008, 05:37 AM
This may belong in another forum, but if AGSG birds are showing up in PA I would be willing to take one or two. I have one other prisoner bird and would be able to accomodate one or two that are in need of a home. I'm in southern PA, Somerset County.
Posted 16th August 2008, 06:32 AM
Thank you, Nita. I will keep that in mind.

Posted 16th August 2008, 02:13 PM
Thanks for your care and concern, Lovethebirds, and to you, Nita for the offer of a home!

Terry

Posted 25th July 2009, 01:11 PM

Pigeon King

I actually bought ten of those wihite birds, the guy at the fle market sold them as white racing hommers its not til later i found out what they were, i let them fly around for the first time before i knew what they were, seven of them disapered i still have three of them 2007 birds. I live in ontario canada, there is guys that sell them at the stouffville flea market every saturday.

You may also search for: