Pigeon-Talk banner

How to feed pigeons

2K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  Abdulbaki 
#1 ·
We should not feed pigeons with Rice or any such grains with sharp edges. When they eat such grains, such sharp edged grains might break the egg shell within their stomach.

#2 ·
first of all your not suppose to feed pigeons rice and dont worry about feeding them sharp things because the eggs are not in their stomach it is there gizzard and pigeons eat sharp things like grit which is fragments of rock it is sharp to help them grind their food in their gizzard and the eggs will be safe because their in the ovaries not stomach

#3 · (Edited)
Welcome to PigeonTalk. Glad you found this site. Hope u'll get all the help u need. Feel free to ask anything about pigeons/doves.
ankit.gen said:
We should not feed pigeons with Rice or any such grains with sharp edges. When they eat such grains, such sharp edged grains might break the egg shell within their stomach.
Hi ankit,
Ye sab aapko kisne bataya? Ye galat hai. Isme sirf ek baat thik hai ki kabutaro ko chawal nahi khilana chahiye...
Yes pigeons shouldn't be fed rice. If u want to feed rice then it should be only 2% of pigeon's feed. There's a lot of stuff that pigeons consume which is way more sharper than grains like pebbles,grinded oyster shells,chicken eggs shells, marbel chips etc. In pigeon keeping lingo it is called grit which is very important for a pigeon to take, in order to digest the feed and get calcium/minerals. As already stated it helps in breaking down the feed.
When a pigeon hen is about to lay than grit is more needed than ever. Eggs won't get broken.

#5 ·
Pigeons do and can eat rice , the white does not have a high nutrition, brown has more, it is just a small part of a mix that can be offered. If the rice is absent there is no reason to worry either, as long as they have their main grains and seeds.

As far as what the thread maker has stated I'm not really sure what they mean. A hens eggs form in the reproductive part of the body.

#9 ·
So this thread is basically an Information ? I think I misread it... I thought it was a question but It's nonsense I mean what is your resource of informations who told you that, pigeons can eat dry bread, chicken egg shell, oyster shells, grit And the eggs are not produced in the stomach Itself!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.