Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have tumbling doves/pigeons (don't know exactly which bred), they live outdoors in a dovecote.

I have one squab about 4/5 days old and doing well. The other egg hasn't hatched yet. How long between each egg hatching should it take. Do I need to remove the egg or will the birds decide when its time and push it out of the nest.

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
Did you write down the dates that both eggs were laid and did you candle them?

Usually the second egg will hatch within or up to two days later, unless the mom did not begin to incubate them until they were both laid. There may be some reason why it did not develop including that it was never fertile in the first place.

You probably should remove it in a few days, because if it begins to stink it might draw some unwanted predators/visitors.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for your comments. Unfortunately I didn't manage to get the egg laying date. Also is it necessary or possible to disturb the eggs once they are being sat upon. I don't want to stress out the birds and have them abandon the eggs.

The method of putting a light behind the egg to see if its fertilised or not, what exactly am I looking for?

Alas the squab died today, so I'm back to the drawing board waiting for the next round of eggs.

·
Banned
2,389 Posts
After 5-10 days candle the egg---you will see viens starting--I have heard the 2 spots are the eyes showing first.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
I'm so sorry you lost the baby. If one never hatched, and the other has died, the parents could be sick. Salmonella can cause that.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts