Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello i have 1 male with 2 mates. This male has had eggs with the first female but every time the eggs hatch the male stops going to the nest. this has happened twice were the eggs hatch the both parents left the babies alone and they died. Now the first female had eggs but the male found another female and she had eggs 3 days later. The first female has 2 eggs and the second one has just 1. What should i do and the male doesn't even go to the first female's nest the poor female sits on the eggs all day long.

·
Registered
508 Posts
I would pull them and give her dummies. Do you have another male to pair the extra hen with?

·
Registered
219 Posts
IMO you need to decide which female you want him to be with. Then keep the other female out of the picture so he doesn't cheat or else find her another male to pair up with. This cycle will never end unless you do something about it. Both parents need to do their part in raising the youngs from an egg. So put an end to this Casa Nova.

·
Registered
508 Posts
well, could try to pair them up with the extra hen?

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
In case u have difficulty in pairing the female with another male, here is an extract from Mathew M. Vriends and Tommy E. Erskine's "Pigeons".

"The pair can be placed in a pairing cage or breeder box. This is a divided, double-sized cage with plywood, Plexiglas, and wire mesh dividers that can be removed one at a time.

The prospective mates are placed one on each side of the box with feed and water and the plywood divider, so they can hear but not see each other. After a few days the plywood divider is removed, leaving the Plexiglas divider, so they can see but not touch each other. The birds will show a desire to get at each other, but keep them apart. After a few days, the Plexiglas divider is removed, leaving the wire mesh dicider in place. They can see and touch each other at this point. After 3 to 4 days, the wire mesh divider is removed. The pair should almost "attack" each other, after which they can be put into their nestbox."

Hope it helps

·
Registered
754 Posts
In case u have difficulty in pairing the female with another male, here is an extract from Mathew M. Vriends and Tommy E. Erskine's "Pigeons".

"The pair can be placed in a pairing cage or breeder box. This is a divided, double-sized cage with plywood, Plexiglas, and wire mesh dividers that can be removed one at a time.

The prospective mates are placed one on each side of the box with feed and water and the plywood divider, so they can hear but not see each other. After a few days the plywood divider is removed, leaving the Plexiglas divider, so they can see but not touch each other. The birds will show a desire to get at each other, but keep them apart. After a few days, the Plexiglas divider is removed, leaving the wire mesh divider in place. They can see and touch each other at this point. After 3 to 4 days, the wire mesh divider is removed. The pair should almost "attack" each other, after which they can be put into their nestbox."

Hope it helps
This was very interesting Sreeshs, I am sure this could save a hens life. I have seen where a hen and a cock bird were put together in a cage for mating purposes and the cock bird would surly drive the hen to death if she is not ready to mate so the use of this method seems to be a much better approach if they can't be supervised. Thanks for sharing. >Kevin

1 - 9 of 9 Posts