Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to start by telling you guys that I have never had a pigeon before. The baby's parents were scared away by someone. I have been taking care of him for the past 2 days. I fed him ground up adult pigeon food mix, mixed with water. He was very interested in food, but since yesterday he's showing less and less interest. I noticed water dark green poop along with some white in it. I have no experience with birds. please help me to save him. :(

·
Registered
4,765 Posts
Can you post a photo of the droppings? Is the crop empty in the mornings? Rather feed him defrosted green peas, easier to digest and has a lot of moisture. A baby that age will need about 120 peas daily, divided into 3 meals of 40 peas each. But only feed when the crop is empty. Can you post a photo of the baby as well?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Can you post a photo of the droppings? Is the crop empty in the mornings? Rather feed him defrosted green peas, easier to digest and has a lot of moisture. A baby that age will need about 120 peas daily, divided into 3 meals of 40 peas each. But only feed when the crop is empty. Can you post a photo of the baby as well?
this is the adult food mix we feed the pigeons in my country. she ate the whole ones yesterday and vomited the black ones and round white ones this morning.

·
Registered
4,765 Posts
Droppings not looking good. She might have canker. Missing feathers around the head, drinking excessive water, yellowish growths inside the beak, difficulty swallowing, yellow urates are a few symptoms. Can you check way back in her throat for yellow growths? Will you be able to get metronidazole and Nystatin (anti-fungal) from a pharmacy?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Droppings not looking good. She might have canker. Missing feathers around the head, drinking excessive water, yellowish growths inside the beak, difficulty swallowing, yellow urates are a few symptoms. Can you check way back in her throat for yellow growths? Will you be able to get metronidazole and Nystatin (anti-fungal) from a pharmacy?
she drinks water whenever i force food on her mouth. she doesn't have much difficulty swallowing , i haven't noticed any yellow urates either. I live nowhere near e veterinary pharmacy and we have a full blown lockdown in my country now. :( i don't have any frozen green peas now, one of my experienced friend suggested chickpeas. should i proceed with it ?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
One of the doctors in my area suggested this medicine. he asked me to mix a pinch of this powder to half a cup water, the feed 2 ml of it 3 times a day

·
Registered
4,765 Posts
The yellow is in the urates, it's supposed to be white. Those meds you can get from a pharmacy, one can use human meds for birds. Surely a pharmacy must be open, they are essential. Is the chickpeas canned? Will have a high salt content.

Those meds will help for a bacterial infection, but not for canker. You can give and check if there's an improvement after a couple of days. Do you have apple cider vinegar? Add a few drops to the drinking water, will help with digestion. Normally one would give 5 ml acv to 1 litre drinking water. Do the crop empty well or not?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The yellow is in the urates, it's supposed to be white. Those meds you can get from a pharmacy, one can use human meds for birds. Surely a pharmacy must be open, they are essential. Is the chickpeas canned? Will have a high salt content.

Those meds will help for a bacterial infection, but not for canker. You can give and check if there's an improvement after a couple of days. Do you have apple cider vinegar? Add a few drops to the drinking water, will help with digestion. Normally one would give 5 ml acv to 1 litre drinking water. Do the crop empty well or not?
I'm not sure if it empty well,, yes i do have Braggs acv at home. and the chickpeas are not canned, i have the organic ones and i put them in water to make it soft.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm not sure if it empty well,, yes i do have Braggs acv at home. and the chickpeas are not canned, i have the organic ones and i put them in water to make it soft.
i just checked her crop, it seems like somenof those black colored lentils from yesterday are still present there

·
Registered
4,765 Posts
True, forgot to mention that. Rather put the newspaper on top of the metal, will be easier on his feet. Try the chickpeas, the lentils are probably difficult to digest.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
True, forgot to mention that. Rather put the newspaper on top of the metal, will be easier on his feet. Try the chickpeas, the lentils are probably difficult to digest.
The photo where she was standing on the metal was taken right after i met her. i immediately put a hard paper box and covered it with torn strips of the newspaper. she basically chills like this all day. and also, i handfed her 25 chickpeas in the afternoon, checked her crop thoroughly before feeding and it was empty af. She looks more vibrant, calls out more frequently By the grace of Allah. thank you very much for helping me out. I'll post update when her poop is normal.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The way it was standing on the newspaper in the first photo was perfect, but please don't let it stand on the metal cage rods like in this second one. Best of luck with this beauty, really hoping all goes well!

The photo where she was standing on the metal was taken right after i met her. i immediately put a hard paper box and covered it with torn strips of the newspaper. she basically chills like this all day... I'll post update when her poop is normal. View attachment 97445

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
update : her poop got paler in color, but now it has more water coming out with it. she drinks water on her own and she drinks quite a lot. Is this ok? or should i be worried? she pooped like this in the morning.
173934059_967921843951984_4591646955821534901_n.jpg
173934059_967921843951984_4591646955821534901_n.jpg

·
Registered
4,765 Posts
Won't the doctor be able to supply you with metronidazole and an anti fungal like Nystatin? The anti-fungal is important. If she has a bit of yeast, the antibiotics will make it worse. You can also try some natural products. Give her a few small pieces of garlic, skip a day and then again on day 3. See if this makes a difference. You can also make small balls of a mixture of cinnamon, ginger and turmeric and feed this to her. Give her a peasized ball 3 times a day. These are all anti-fungal natural products.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts