Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 130 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

Last night we had a bad storm...plenty water fell. In the morning I found this baby covered in mud barely clinging to life. I rushed to get it warm and gave some water. Few hrs later and after plenty sleep he is up and about but I think he is hungry. What do I do now?

Do i feed him and what and how? Do i put him in the tree ( I will never find the nest, way too many in the tree) and hope his mom finds him? Hell he is filthy and the mud is drying on him, do I try and bath him or just let him be?

Please help?
Thank you

me

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi there,

Thank you so much, I made rice water and he drank a few drops. I put him in a basket I tied and secured to the tree and crossing my fingers the mum will find him. If by dark there is no parents I will fetch him and try and save him myself....in the mean time I am going to read your advice.

Again thank you so much it really means the world to me.

Regards

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Again thank you so much.... Night time came and his parents did not show up.... so I fetched him....he drank some more rice water and seems to like my son.... Now I guess I am really going to need all the advice I can get...

Thank you so much again....

·
Registered
106 Posts
I don't think his parents will find him, because once eggs or squabs are moved from their nest the parents do not recognize the, as their own. Try to keep him alive, and I appeticiate your effort!

Good luck!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you for the help again.... He seems content after some more rice water and is fast asleep. I been searching the web like a mad person... In the morning I will try and mix some rice and fine oats.... mush it up and see if I can try and get solids in to him.... so scary poor thing now he is stuck with me.....

Thank you

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you so much.... I finally just got him to eat a thicker consistency of oats out back of a small syringe.... poor thing was starving I had to cut it short as i was scared to over feed.... Do you know how often do they feed and how much at a time?

Later i will try and put some bird food through a coffee grinder and paste it up and try...

Like always I am so grateful for the help...

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi it is me again.... I am a pain in the butt I know, I am having to learn on the job here with a little life at stake.
I am still trying to get the hang of the crop thing so I waited 4-5 hrs for the next feed just for safety sake. He was complaining like crazy.
I boiled 2 eggs removed the yolk. I blended the white with water until a milky substance.
I took roughly 1 tbl spoon and mixed with fine outs and water and fed him about 7-10 ml`s.... he wanted more but i stopped the feed.

Please forgive me for reporting but I beg you to tell me where I am going wrong if I am...
Thank you....

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
He is probably still hungry. When you feed, the crop should feel like a soft pillow, maybe 3/4 full, but not hard. Did you read those links I gave you?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hey,
I have no idea why but the links are not working.... I am searching and reading every spare moment I get and check in here all the time... thanx.....
http://www.2ndchance.info/WildDoveDiet.htm I found this link pretty helpful but opted for boiled egg white instead on another thread I followed here.....

I am searching like crazy at the moment on the birdies crop and how to tell what is what.... in the mean time I am going with suggested 3-4 feeds a day for a 10 day old that is average 4-5 hrs between right as apparently they do not\or is suggested not to eat after dark till sunrise.... Now that he sees me as a food source, when he sees me he wants food.... so cute... It is so much info to take in and digest I am just so grateful to have yourself and this forum with experience to rely on...

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hi Jay,

Ok so now I got the food under control I think.... My next concern is water.... I been dropping water on his beak and letting him open his mouth to take it in. Today I put a balloon over a cut off syringe and fed water like that. Not a easy task I tell you.

My question is does he need water? and how often? My main concern is how to give it, is what I am doing ok or is there a better way? I see some people dipping the head so the beak goes into the water. But their birds are a little bigger. My improvised way works but is he getting enough? His poop seems to be a little runny-ish does that mean he is hydrated or is it just the fact that since he lives with me his diet has changed....

Regards

·
Registered
5,982 Posts
He won't need water while on formula, only when starting eating seeds. Then you can dip the tip of the beak (not over the nostrils, otherwise he might aspirate) in a small bowl of water for him to drink. Or you can put your fingers in the water and "play" with it, he will get curious and put his beak in and sometimes they do start drinking that way.

Have you watched some video's on Youtube: "how to feed baby pigeons". I've watched your video, you need to use the other side of the syringe, cut off the edge and put a piece of rubber glove over it and fasten with a rubber band. Then cut a X into the rubber. You can fill the whole syringe, he will stick his beak inside and start eating. Between eating, he will pull his head back to take time to breath, then you just level the syringe so that no food goes down into the windpipe by accident.

1 - 20 of 130 Posts