Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my squab is 16 days old and the mother has moved to a nesting box next door and is sitting on eggs. I have little containers with food and water in the squabs nesting box. He can walk around but I have not seen him eat seed nor get fed since yesterday morning but to be fair I haven't been around alot. I put him on the loft floor this morning as a test and he got pecked in the head by another male pigeon. Is he fine in the nesting box? Suggestions??

·
Registered
760 Posts
Oh bless him...so cute!

He is too young to go on the loft floor - as a rule of thumb, I put mine down when their tails are as long as my thumb. But, I'd never risk putting down just one baby - you need to put dwn as many at once as you can. He will be fine in the nesting box for quite some time yet and Dad should be feeding him.. Check his crop just before dusk, it should be full then.;)

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
where's daddy?, he should be feeding him at this point, also the young one should be pecking at the seed trying it out, they learn from the parent birds so thats good the food is in the nest box with him. I also put water in there in something that can not be turned over and dunk their beak in there just to show them where it is. his crop looks like someone is feeding him.....

·
Registered
760 Posts
I have two that are 27 days old when d oI need to put them down
Do you only have two that can go down together? Are there any other cocks than the parents of these two in the loft? Do they have young of their own? the fewer birds you put down together, the more chance there is of them getting scalped. Likewise if you have cocks that have no young of their own..

Its a hard call whether to risk two down or not. A couple of weeks ago I had one that should have been on the floor but, I had no others to put down so I left him in the nestbox. Unfortunately he came out of his own accord, when I wasn't around, and he was scalped....quite literally, his head was pecked until his skull was exposed. What a mess, a pure white bird covered in blood. He lived and, when he moults in November, should look OK but it was an experience I don't want to repeat.

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
The father will continue feeding that bird in the nest box. Too young to wean if it doesn't' know how to eat or drink yet. Once the hen is on another eggs, she seems to lose interest feeding the baby. She will occasionally, but she leaves the feeding to the cock.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well....bad news for me I have another squab only 5 days old and it was scalped today. I had to clean it and put blood stop on it. I think it will live. So sad. I had to close mommy and squab in the nesting box together until he gets better.

I am thinking now that instead of nesting boxes I am going to have individual cages mounted on the wall of my loft and keep mommies and babies locked up all the time.

·
Registered
857 Posts
I would leave the squab in the nest. You can see in the picture it has a nice full crop.
Just keep an eye on it's weight and keep the food and water within it's reach and sooner or later it will eat on it's own.
I would get rid of the pigeon or pigeons that are attacking the young birds.
If your're not sure which bird it is, look for blood on the neck and chest of the adults. The guilty bird(s) will have blood there.
Keith

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
OK.....so i went and checked and the horrible news is that it is the DAD!!!!

I have them all banded and I know that 53 momma and 63 momma share 52 as the dad. I have seen him sit on both nests and feed both squabs.

He has been very good and kept all the other males away from both boxes and done his part for both females...

Why would he do that now?????

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
I have two that are 27 days old when d oI need to put them down
Just an FYI...I would have a 27 day old youngster weaned into the youngbird loft. They should be fully independent, or close to it at that age. Many of my club mates wean at 24 days. That always seemed a bit early to me so I usually go between 27 and 30 days old.

Dan

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
OK.....so i went and checked and the horrible news is that it is the DAD!!!!

I have them all banded and I know that 53 momma and 63 momma share 52 as the dad. I have seen him sit on both nests and feed both squabs.

He has been very good and kept all the other males away from both boxes and done his part for both females...

Why would he do that now?????
How old is this cock? Sounds like he is a yearling. If you are going to do any polygamous breeding I would suggest using older cocks and fostering the eggs of one of the hens to another pair. This would help avoid this situation in the future.

Dan

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well this is my first season of breeding. They are all yearlings. I didn't PLAN on having polygamous breeding....it just happened. I didn't even know they did that anyways!!!!

So given my current situation....what do I do now? lock up each mom with each squab? I only have two squabs and three other moms sitting on 2 eggs for a total of six eggs.

·
Registered
760 Posts
Just an FYI...I would have a 27 day old youngster weaned into the youngbird loft. They should be fully independent, or close to it at that age. Many of my club mates wean at 24 days. That always seemed a bit early to me so I usually go between 27 and 30 days old.

Dan
I agree, if you are lucky enough to have a separate young bird loft. This year I am breeding in both sections of my loft.
Actually, I go by the development of the youngsters, rather than their age. I move them when they are fully feathered under the wings. My birds have galley pots in the nest boxes so that they have watched their parents from a week old and are usually picking before I move them. It makes for less stressful weaning. ;)

·
Registered
760 Posts
Well this is my first season of breeding. They are all yearlings. I didn't PLAN on having polygamous breeding....it just happened. I didn't even know they did that anyways!!!!

So given my current situation....what do I do now? lock up each mom with each squab? I only have two squabs and three other moms sitting on 2 eggs for a total of six eggs.
Oh heck! Any breeding loft, that has unpaired birds in, has the potential for trouble.

I'm not sure what the answer is for you.... I'm not sure that you can lock in the mom and babies, as its the cock who takes over feeding the young birds while mom sits the new set of eggs. If it were me, I would take the babies out and hand rear them. I would then remove any birds, that are not paired, to another loft. :confused::confused: JMO, I'm sure others will have better ideas.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Oh heck! Any breeding loft, that has unpaired birds in, has the potential for trouble.

I'm not sure what the answer is for you.... I'm not sure that you can lock in the mom and babies, as its the cock who takes over feeding the young birds while mom sits the new set of eggs. If it were me, I would take the babies out and hand rear them. I would then remove any birds, that are not paired, to another loft. :confused::confused: JMO, I'm sure others will have better ideas.
This may indeed be your best option in your situation. You don't have another pair with a baby the same age to put it with so that's out. The father is the culprit as far as scalping goes. This baby's only chance may be to hand feed. Do you have a separate section you could move mom and baby to? This would at least get it away from the scalper. You would probably still have to hand raise it as mom might abandon it.

I would deffinitely not let this cock breed for the rest of the year until he matures some. I had a cock last year that, as a yearling, would abandon his babies at about a week old. Too worried about starting another round. I split the pair, remated the hen to another older cock, and removed the culprit to the "bachelor pad" as we call it. It is a section for the unmated cocks. I then mated him again this year and have had no problems with him. He and his mate have raised three beautiful healthy rounds for me.

Hang in there, it will get better.

Dan

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Some guys will put them on the landing board as soon as they are weaned (24 days or so). I have a California style landing board/aviary so I can just open the trap and they can come and go as they please to learn their way in and out of the loft. After I am sure they are flying well, I will then open the aviary and let them go out on their own. This is the dangerous time for them as they are vulnerable to the hawks. Once they get up and are routing for a half hour or so the hawks are somewhat less of a threat. Don't force them up though as it is very easy to scare them off at this point. They will do it on their own in time.

Dan

·
Registered
29,797 Posts

I agree with pigeonpoo. I would hand rear them. And if you have another loft to put the unpaired birds in, I would do that too. You may not be able to do this however. But I would definately bring in the babies and hand raise them.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
OK....so what I did was is I locked the 1 pair up with the baby and eggs in the pictures. It seemed to work because the dad is feeding him.

Then the other hen with the baby that got scalped I locked her up with the baby. She has been feeding him. However, when she kicks him out of the nest I will bring in the baby and feed it myself.

So far...so good. My other idea is that I have a lone cock and that lone hen with the baby. I was thinking that when I take the baby out I could lock the pair up together and then they will bond. Then......no unmatched pairs!!!!

Sound good?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.