Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi My 19 year old boy Jonquil, suddenly stopped being able to walk normally 2 weeks ago. His feet are very swollen and hot . We put him on SMT and the swelling went down a lot and he started walking more normally. We took him to a vet yesterday, and he diagnosed him with heart related edema and said he could feel the swelling all the way up both legs. He gave him an injection of disal ( lasix ) and an injection of meloxicam. Now Jon won't eat at all. He is drinking huge amounts to combat the action of the diuretic. l switched him to pedialyte from water , Up until last night, he would eat eagerly, and now when l put him on the floor , he just stands there. He looks at peanuts and other treats, but will not walk or eat. Overnight his weight dropped from 420g to 383 gs. The clear liquid just pours out of him. l started force feeding him peas and corn . My husband talked to the vet today, and he told us to not give him his evening dose of disal and meloxicam, and in the morning, just give him a 1/2 dose of the diuretic. He has 4 more days on the antibiotic. He barely talks now and is very weak. l worry that l am doing more harm than good. He was completely healthy, except for his feet until yesterday. Do you think that as he gets used to the medication that he will pick up again ? The diuretic is just for a few days too, l think. l hate stressing him with force feedings. . Should l just wait a few more days till he is off the antibiotic and diuretic and see how he is then? l really don't want to euthanize him. Have any of you seen your birds stop eating when on medication ? ls that normal to lose their appetite on sulfa or the diuretic ?
Bird Furniture Chair Wood Comfort

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also, how many peas and corn should i force feed him to keep in from getting too weak. He is drinking his pedialyte with corn syrup just fine by himself. Please give me some advice. L am desperate to save my boy.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Honey... I don't know how else to say this but, your boy is at a very ripe old age. Bombarding him with meds may not be the way to go. It's possible you're just stressing him out in his last few weeks. I'm not gonna tell you what to do, It's your bird, I wish you the best of luck.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Honey... I don't know how else to say this but, your boy is at a very ripe old age. Bombarding him with meds may not be the way to go. It's possible you're just stressing him out in his last few weeks. I'm not gonna tell you what to do, It's your bird, I wish you the best of luck.
Jonquil turned 20 today, and is still happy and other than his mobility, he is healthy.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Happy birthday to Jonquil! If you ever have the time, I would love to know more details about Jonquil's care throughout his 20 years, such as diet, favorite foods or treats, any other noteworthy illnesses, activity levels over the years, any other pets in the home?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts