Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have two 8 days old babies of indian pigeon. But they are different in size. One of them is about 2 inch & other is about 5 inch. Is this a problem? I found that at afternoon hen did not feed the tiny one. So i feed it by hand once. Both parents stay away from home for long time. Is it ok for babies? What can i do now? Feed them by hand???:confused:

·
Registered
385 Posts
Nope, usually they are different sizes. I thought it was wierd how different the sizes were when I first had a clutch of babies. If there Is a prob., then the little one is not getting enough food. But I doubt that is the case.

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
if the little ones crop is not full and the other babies is, you will need to feed it, the parents get off the nest and leave for periods of time about when they are 10 days old. I would keep a close eye on it as the bigger squab may be too much for the little one to compete with. if all goes well he should catch up soon. can you post a pic?

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I check the babies but sorry to say the little one have no food on it's crop. Again i use hand feed. How long i use hand feed? Can anyone tell me?

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Does the little one seem healthy in every other way? Sometimes illness will make one nestmate smaller than the other. It would be very helpful to see a picture of them. I would keep checking, and if the crop is empty, I would feed it. Maybe as long as it takes for him to catch up in size, as long as there are no health issues.

·
Registered
760 Posts
This often happens to me when one baby hatches a day or two before the other. It has a head start and the smaller one then struggles to compete for food. I solve it by removing the larger baby each time I feed the parents (several times a day), the smaller baby gets fed then I replace the larger one for his feed.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Yes, as Renee said, paratyphoid or even canker can cause one baby to be quite a bit larger than the other one. One baby can be affected and not the other. Just keep an eye on them to make sure that they are both healthy.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm using hand feeding to tiny baby though the hen totally ignore it.once i remove the healthy one but letter i saw that the crop is emty.why this problem occur? I cam remmember, 2 month ago same things happened.in my other pair one baby died and other remain healthy. Is it continue?

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
I'm using hand feeding to tiny baby though the hen totally ignore it.once i remove the healthy one but letter i saw that the crop is emty.why this problem occur? I cam remmember, 2 month ago same things happened.in my other pair one baby died and other remain healthy. Is it continue?
The baby could be sick. Maybe your birds need to be treated with medicine.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The baby could be sick. Maybe your birds need to be treated with medicine.
What should i feed them? Now i'm separating the big baby pigeon from the nest in every afternoon and return in the morning. If they need vaccine, what should i give them? I'm from bangladesh. So can't tell what type of med are available. Plz help...

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
How many birds do you have? When you buy vaccines, you have to buy enough for 50 or 100 injections. Here they often vaccinate for PMV, Paratyphoid, and Pox. The vaccines you give to prevent them getting sick in the first place.
Maybe you meant medicine to give when they are sick and not vaccine?

·
Registered
632 Posts
What should i feed them?
I think most members here use Kaytee Exact Baby Bird. In my country that isn't available, so I've used Avibaby. It is also possible to use baby chicken food mixed with warm water. Any place where they sell pet food or chicken food will be able to advise you.
Then as he gets older you can start giving him small seeds and fresh peas as well.

If they need vaccine, what should i give them? I'm from bangladesh. So can't tell what type of med are available. Plz help...
If it is Salmonellosis (= Paratyphoid), you will need an antibiotic that will kill Salmonella bacteria. If you say that to a pharmacist, and say it's for animal use, they will help you choose one from what is available, that's what I did.

I use Amoxycilin for babies. It can be sold under various names, like Clavamox or Sinulox. I use Sinulox, because the dosage is smaller (tablets of 50 mg). If the baby weighs 100g, one quarter of a tablet is enough for the complete treatment:
I break a tablet in four, then put one of the pieces in a small bowl, add 5 drops of water and make a paste. Then I add 4.5ml of water. The total now should be 5 ml of diluted antibiotic. Using a very small syringe (you can get one from a chemist's) I give the baby 0.5 ml of this twice a day.
The mixture will last for exactly 5 days, which is the length of the treatment. Please note that the mixture needs to be kept covered and in a cool place, otherwise the water will evaporate and the last dosages will be too strong, and not enough for the 5 days. (I keep it in a larger syringe (to avoid contact with air) in the fridge.
The medicine needs to be dropped in the second orifice in the baby's mouth, not the first, or the liquid will go into his lungs.

Also, Terry recommended Enrofloxacin. This is sold under the name Baytril. The recommended dosage for a 100g bird is between 1 and 2mg twice a day for a minimum of 7 days. The one I have comes in 'palatable' tablets, which I use for adult birds, because they don't hate the taste quite as much, lol!

I hope this answers your questions.

PS: After treatment with the antibiotic, the baby will need a probiotic to replace the 'good bacteria' in his gut. If you can't find anything else, a little live (with enzymes) yoghurt will help.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
I think most members here use Kaytee Exact Baby Bird. In my country that isn't available, so I've used Avibaby. It is also possible to use baby chicken food mixed with warm water. Any place where they sell pet food or chicken food will be able to advise you.
Then as he gets older you can start giving him small seeds and fresh peas as well.

If it is Salmonellosis (= Paratyphoid), you will need an antibiotic that will kill Salmonella bacteria. If you say that to a pharmacist, and say it's for animal use, they will help you choose one from what is available, that's what I did.

I use Amoxycilin for babies. It can be sold under various names, like Clavamox or Sinulox. I use Sinulox, because the dosage is smaller (tablets of 50 mg). If the baby weighs 100g, one quarter of a tablet is enough for the complete treatment:
I break a tablet in four, then put one of the pieces in a small bowl, add 5 drops of water and make a paste. Then I add 4.5ml of water. The total now should be 5 ml of diluted antibiotic. Using a very small syringe (you can get one from a chemist's) I give the baby 0.5 ml of this twice a day.
The mixture will last for exactly 5 days, which is the length of the treatment. Please note that the mixture needs to be kept covered and in a cool place, otherwise the water will evaporate and the last dosages will be too strong, and not enough for the 5 days. (I keep it in a larger syringe (to avoid contact with air) in the fridge.
The medicine needs to be dropped in the second orifice in the baby's mouth, not the first, or the liquid will go into his lungs.

Also, Terry recommended Enrofloxacin. This is sold under the name Baytril. The recommended dosage for a 100g bird is between 1 and 2mg twice a day for a minimum of 7 days. The one I have comes in 'palatable' tablets, which I use for adult birds, because they don't hate the taste quite as much, lol!

I hope this answers your questions.

PS: After treatment with the antibiotic, the baby will need a probiotic to replace the 'good bacteria' in his gut. If you can't find anything else, a little live (with enzymes) yoghurt will help.
The babies are like a month old now. They don't need the formula.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts