Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello,
i've found this forum very informative, but have problem now that i can't seem to resolve just by reading old threads.
I have found two baby pigeons in a box, 20 days ago, and by those day by day pigeon growth pictures u can find on teh web, they seemed maybe 10 days old so they shuld be about a mont old now. We used to hand feed them with a warm mash made of pees, apples, hot water and seeds and they loved it, we also supplied them some calcium and phosphorus and D3, A and E complex multivitamins for 5-7 days, when the bigger brother/sister had decided not to want to be hand fed anymore, and have started to peck (that was 10 days ago). the other one followed and they are drinking and pecking for days how. Problem is that, tthose healthy two babies woke up yesterday morning and couldn't move. They are moving around using their wings, and the whole thing looks like crawling.. similar to bats... when i touch their feet there is sensation since they both react to the touching, and they also have strength in their wings, and they are still flapping them, but their legs just don't work. It seems to me that it is some kind of infection, since one day they both were healthy, and the next morning they were clearly sick. Im suspecting paratyphoid infection and i'm gving them 25 mg of amoxiciline 2X a day (all together 50 mg per pigeon) and i do not put it in their water, but i give it to them directly in their mouths since they need 0.5ml of the solution daily and it was easier to administer the drug that way, and i also have control over what did they take.. Otherwise they are fine, they are eating, drinking, seem ok, but their poo is different. its slimy, but still has all the poo ingredients :D it has the white part, watery part and the green/brown part, but t is king of slimy and in a bulk... Does anyone have an idea what i am dealing with if not paratyphoid?
***One other thing that might be important, the bigger one, the lazy one (since the other one was pretty hyperactive up until yesterday morning), had a beginning of an splay leg, maybe 10 days ago, which we corrected within two days by giving calcium and putting them in a nest we made, and like i said we continued giving calcium for another five days..., that had like a hole in the middle which kept his legs in the right position.

thank you anyway

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
and i forgot, I am from serbia. There are a few pigeon organizations but when i asked for advice, they laughed at me and asked me why do i bother with those flying rats.. Also Vets here are specialized in cats and dogs, and when dealing with something more exotic than a cat or a dog, they give them vitamin C and send you home, so I have no intention of visiting a vet, primarily because i dont trust them regarding birds... Anyway im trying to say, i trust forums more than vets, and I would be very grateful for any help and info

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Are you still giving them calcium/d3?

Sounds like a calcium/d3 deficiency. What are they eating now?

Splay legs are caused by them not having traction under their feet, no nesting material so it is slippery... and their feet will come out from under them. You can use a towel for them to get a grip on. http://www.pigeonrescue.co.uk/splayleg.htm
I dont think i a calium D3 deficiency since they were OK 5 hours before. Also they are not calcium d3 deficient since i gave it to them until 3 days ago... they are eating versele laga dove combination of seeds, and i put dried peas and lentils in it to..
splay leg problem was resolved... they are on the towels and the position of their legs is fine..

·
Registered
164 Posts
I had a squab with a very similar issue that turned out to be deficient in calcium/d3. The parents were feeding him fine and he was standing fine, but one day he stopped standing and walking. His legs were completely limp, although he could still grab things and crawled the same as you describe your birds to be doing.

After bringing him in, I gave him liquid calcium/d3 once a day and worked out his leg muscles manually before he could stand and move around on his own, which took a total of three weeks. While doing this, I also had to make snowshoe boots to put on his feet to keep the toes from getting balled up and mangled.

I think that if they had paratyphoid they wouldn't be eating and acting normal aside from the not being able to walk part. One time I received a pair of birds in the mail from a negligent owner (unbeknownst to me at the time) that had salmonella that could walk and stand, but wouldn't eat or move. The hen would only stand on one leg looking very fluffy until they got better. It doesn't sound like your birds have paratyphoid to me.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I dont think i a calium D3 deficiency since they were OK 5 hours before. Also they are not calcium d3 deficient since i gave it to them until 3 days ago... they are eating versele laga dove combination of seeds, and i put dried peas and lentils in it to..
splay leg problem was resolved... they are on the towels and the position of their legs is fine..
The calcium and D3 is usually needed in a supplement and can't be completely solved by their seed alone, especially if they are inside or if they are showing symptoms, and it does seem to be a deficiency from my perspective. Even though they were getting something, if they were not getting enough, at some point it would not have been enough to support them, so it makes sense that they would seem fine, right up until 3 days ago, then fall and not get back up. I would get them some bird calcium and vitamin D3, and make sure they are able to eat it, (since they can't walk). Massage the legs a bit every day, keep with the supplements and give it a month, see if you are getting an improvement with the functionality of the babies' legs. I would personally try this before anything harsher, and after all, what could it hurt to try? It might really make a big difference for your birds.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Are you sure they are eating enough? Also if giving too much calcium, that can hurt them too. Can be just as bad as not enough.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts