Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
there're these 2 ferals limping around my house a couple of blocks away. One of them keeps sitting in the middle of the road, when i tried to lure it to the side i realised it's favoring one foot. it doesnt seem to want to fly away. the other one can fly but...it doesnt appear to have any feet. just stubs at the end of its legs, i don't know if it was born like this or somebody mutilated it. should i go get them, assuming they're still there? i've seen pigeon wings scattered around this area, i'm not sure if it's from a cat attack, but it's like pieces of bloodied wings lying around. kinda afraid for these two.:confused:

·
Registered
106 Posts
if it is a cat then you cannot expect injured birds but only dead birds in 95% cases.
it must be a falcon or a hawk or some human who would have injured the bird on its leg and in the long run the bird would have not used the injured leg and have lost it.
but you can always pick them up and care for them unless you find them a new safe place to go. you dont have to ask other people when it comes to saving a pigeon or a animal in need

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
sorry, i was only asking cos i wasn't sure if they'd be fine on their own. i don't like to interfere with wild animals through wrong judgement on my part. btw, we don't have hawks and falcons over here, that's why i was puzzled.

anyway, i've got the limping one but i can't find the one without feet. there's another problem though, he doesn't have any feathers below his beak. is it a sign of canker? there was a small yellow nodule in his beak just now but now it's gone. is there any medicine i could get over the counter from a vet to treat for canker? thanks.

·
Registered
106 Posts
not all featherless patched below the beak are canker. this is a wrong diagnosis. It could be a young one which is yet to grow feathers or it could also be a molting bird which has lost its feathers will eventually grow them and the yellow nodule is sounding like a TNT tin.
note that the yellow shade is visible in a canker effected bird only when it is reached a later stage. before to that u can see the changes when u open its mouth. The path of the throat would be covered up with a white or yellowish substance. or u can just find a scar like wound which is white or yellowish.
symptoms can be difficulty in swallowing water or feeding corn or peas.

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
you should treat it for canker using metronidazole (flagyl) If you have fish pet stores there you can find this medicine in fish zole for fish, not sure of the dosage, but if find it you can post the info and someone can give dosage, you will want to get some seeds or dove mix feed if you can find it. and keep him up safe, sounds like it could be rats getting to birds.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
okay, i've got the meds! :)

i'm not sure of his weight so i dont know what dose to give, but i can post a pic when my neighbour sends me one. he's able to fly okay and eat on his own.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks! so i give it to him daily? does it matter if its before or after food? how many days should i dose him for?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts