Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My brother's new pigeon took off this morning with my pigeon for a flight around the neighborhood. Then my pigeon came back in a few hours. My brother's pigeon came back at dusk and we noticed he had a pretty big gash (about 2 inches) on his underbelly with a little bit of blood. We put him in his own travel cage with fresh water and food.

What do you suggest?

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
Hi.

Immediately flush out the wound with tepid - a tad towards cold - water water...put him under the faucet if you have to. Not on high, but more than just a gentle stream, too.

If you have any Silvadene (Thermazene, Flamazene) topical antibiotic cream, put it on. Some folks say Neosporin is OK to use, too...but my avian vet says absolutely NOT. So some sort of water-based topical antibiotic (not oil-based like neosporin).

Look for any other injury elsewhere. Did he drop any tailfeathers ? Does the injury sem to have gone further "in" than beyond his muscles directly below the skin ?

Look for an exit wound somewhere...someone may have taken a potshot at him with a bb gun, pellet gun, slingshot, etc and he may still have something lodged inside.

Best thing is to get him to a vet for an exam and maybe x-ray. If you are not inclined to do that (and I really would), then you need to get some antibiotics for him asap. If it was a predator attack or even a projectile strike, he could succumb to infection very, very quickly. he needs antibiotics ASAP. Don't let more than a day, day and a half maximum, pass without getting him an antibiotic.

Cipro, Amoxycillin, Clavamox...something like that.

lastly...I would also offer an anti-inflammatory. I use Medacam, but in a pinch people have used Childrens Liquid Advil or Childrens Liquid Motrin (NOT INFANT'S...Childrens). .02 cc per 100g of bird weight....or about .04-.05 cc for an adult pigeon....

I am glad he was able to make it home...that's a good sign. Good luck and keep us posted !

1 - 2 of 2 Posts