Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We got two babies a week ago. One is growing normally the other is tiny and under developed. We know sometimes hatchmates can be different sizes if they hatch at different times, but she was eating fine and then her crop just stopped moving. We gave her applesauce and a little ACV and it kind of got moving again, but now we are nervous about feeding her and getting slow crop again. Her mouth is clear of canker and there is no bad smell from her crop or poops. She is still pooping but it’s very little compared to her sibling. The guy we got her from said we should feed her “seeds and water,” and our avian vet is away from thanksgiving. Any help would be appreciated.
Bird Grey Beak Snout Falconiformes

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are you feeding a handrearing formula for baby parrots/parakeets? You can continue to add applesauce to the formula to help with digestion. Are you keeping him warm?
Hi Marina!
Thanks for answering. Yes, Kaytee’s Exact and they are on a heating pad on low. We are keeping the applesauce up plus pedialite and a drop of ACV. She was pooping, but for the 24 hours that we did pedialite thinned applesauce to get her moving, it was watery. She started eating seed by herself yesterday, well ahead of her big brother. We were a little worried about this slowing her little system, but she’s never stopped being super energetic and bright. Her crop seems mostly empty and big and floppy. We will be able to get her to the avian vet on Monday, but after a horrible previous experience we are not going to take her to a “exotics” vet. We only trust our vet. So we are stuck with OTC/home remedies until he’s back.

·
Registered
6,002 Posts
Has she started drinking water as well? You can put the acv in her drinking water (5 ml acv to 1 litre of water). Ask the vet to do a cropsmear to check for canker and yeast.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes! She’s drinking ahead of her brother. She’s just so tiny… It’s nerve wracking because we want to fatten her up, but that slow crop is not great. I feel like the kaytee accumulated and stretched out her crop a bit. Of course this happened Thanksgiving week, so we have to wait to see the vet… there’s no sign of canker or yeast, but I know you can’t always see it. We are willing to preemptively treat, but I don’t know where we can get ahold of nyastin without an Rx from a doc.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Her poops are looking great! So sad how happy I feel about poop! Her crop is still pretty big, but it’s moving and she has essentially weaned herself. Fingers crossed. Something is definitely slowing her crop, but she’s showing zero signs of illness (bright energetic and squeaky) her feathers are finally filling in too. She’s half the size of her brother, but twice as bossy. I will update once we see the vet in case someone else has this problem.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts