Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So...I worked a whole week on food training and trap training. Finally he nailed it three times in a row. Took him up on the roof for a lookabout...the whole nine yards. So today was the big day. So I carried him out set him on the edge of the trap cage....

And he took off around the yard....and landed on my bald head HAHAHA!

He flew around fencline high around the yard for about 30 mins and went in the trap.

I was sooooo happy! Here are some cellphone pics:

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
Congrats! That is one fearless bird to do that alone.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
congrats :D You're pigeon looks just like one of my old pigeon :) Good luck with 'em :D

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Things you could do:

*Wave a flag everytime you feed them, like a BIGG one. A guy I knew used to do it and when he waved the flag they were down in 10 seconds.

*Paint something they can see all the time a bright colour. And have it outside when they fly.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Things you could do:

*Wave a flag everytime you feed them, like a BIGG one. A guy I knew used to do it and when he waved the flag they were down in 10 seconds.

*Paint something they can see all the time a bright colour. And have it outside when they fly.
If you wave a flag with young birds it might spook them into flying more.

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
Things you could do:

Flags are used to get them UP, not bring them DOWN........I flag my birds every morning now and am getting between 45 minutes and 1 1/2 hours flight time.........

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Flags are used to get them UP, not bring them DOWN........I flag my birds every morning now and am getting between 45 minutes and 1 1/2 hours flight time.........
SAME here Renee :)
Maybe im doing something right ;)

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well my birds come in to the sound of a shaking can of food. I have yet to have a problem with birds not coming in. Also my birds don't hang around on trees or rooftops becuase I have ALOT of tiny birds in the trees in my backyard. They are pretty protective. I am pretty lucky this way I guess. They go out...fly around REAL REAL high and then come down and in.

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
Flagging can be use for flying them or bringing them down. You are supposed to use different colors which they can associate. Maybe flag them up with one color and show another flag of different color to bring them down. It is nothing more than signal. Long time ago I taught my birds that when I show a common garden rake, holding them up in the air, they supposed to come down on the loft roof. When I want them to fly I just throw my slipper up. I changed my mind on both when my slipper got stuck on the roof and I look like a fool holding a rake to call them down. Now I just whistle and show them the feed cup and they come down. So flagging--fly the flag to chase them up or just show them a flag to call them down.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts