Pigeon-Talk banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 110 Posts

·
Registered
5,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In these hard economic times, I thought it was a good idea on the part of Bill Hatcher to devise a race which would take the working guy's pocketbook into consideration. Now, for only a $200 entry fee, one can have a chance to see how their birds stack up on a National level, win a few coins, and without breaking the bank ! :)

The new format for 2011 !

http://www.winnerscupusa.com/

2011 Racing Schedule

* Team consists of 3 birds / NO LIMIT on teams entered
* 3 races: 150 200 300 * optional Ironclad 400 125.00 entry
* 100 dollar perch fee per bird
* 200 dollar entry fee per bird
* 10% cut on capitol / pools
* Points system / Champion Bird & Champion Breeder
* pools paid in clocking order
* Birds on "drop" share drop prize but capitol is paid out in
clocking order.
* Races begin October 1st.
* no auction no buyback
* flying East or West, to be determined
* All birds must be activated 2 weeks prior to the 150
* Accepting birds February 15th to May 15th. Replacements
until May 15th. Constant inventory/ birds chipped on arrival
* 10th flight removed / light system used

Attachments

·
Registered
5,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I am definitely in for 2011. Thanks for the news Warren.
Yeah just think of it, for less then a $1 a day, one can send one of their birds to the BIG time, and find out how really good their birds are. And if they are even 1/2 as good, as we think they are, then perhaps we will be the ones taking home the prize ! :D This is truly an opportunity for the working person to test their birds without breaking the bank. And perhaps most importantly, this is not simply some inexpensive event that someone thought up to make their house payments. This is an establsihed world class event, at local combine type prices. Not being able to afford the entry fee, is now no longer a valid excuse. At less then a $1 a day, even someone with a very small budget can afford to enter this event. So...get ready !!

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Relatively speaking, these fees are reasonable when compared to many of the others.

But really, a $100 perch fee? Does it really cost $100 to house, feed, medicate and train ONE bird for nine months? Personally, I think "perch fees" are a racket. I know that's how the race operator makes much of their money, but lets call it what it is: A Manager's fee, or a Handler's fee. I know why they won't be labeled as such, 'cause then people might start considering how over-priced those fees are.

Now I don't mind a person making some $$ for their hard work, but a lot of these races also take cuts from pools, auctions, etc. I guess it's the whole concept of a "perch fee" that bothers me in that we're supposed to believe that it takes that much money to take care of one bird.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Not to argue with you, but you also have to take into consideration the time that the handler spends feeding, medicating, training, transportation costs, etc. I am entering this race for several reasons. It is a reputable event, I get to see how my birds perform against the "BIG BOYS", the chance of collecting a few coins, and I believe that the fees are very reasonable.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Not to argue with you, but you also have to take into consideration the time that the handler spends feeding, medicating, training, transportation costs, etc. I am entering this race for several reasons. It is a reputable event, I get to see how my birds perform against the "BIG BOYS", the chance of collecting a few coins, and I believe that the fees are very reasonable.
Yeah, I know, that's why I said I don't mind the managers making a little money for their hard work (time). But shouldn't the fees go DOWN with the more birds you have? $100 (or more) for one bird? Really?

I guess I'll go do the math now so I can decide if I really should have publicly ranted :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Some of the races do have a discount on the perch fees when you reach a certain level. It is strictly up to the individual to enter the race or not. And also, if you look at it from another perspective, the person who can only enter a small number of birds does not get a discount, and the person who has the financial resources to enter more birds does get a discount.

·
Registered
5,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah, I know, that's why I said I don't mind the managers making a little money for their hard work (time). But shouldn't the fees go DOWN with the more birds you have? $100 (or more) for one bird? Really?

I guess I'll go do the math now so I can decide if I really should have publicly ranted :rolleyes:
Not that I want to be in the position of carrying the water for the One Loft Race Industry, but do you see the loft for this Winners Cup event ? (See my first post on this thread). I don't know if Bill Hatcher built this himself, or if he contracted to have it built, but do you see the size and scope of this loft, and the space it takes up ? So you might also consider the capital investment needed, the advertising, the book keeping, the phone calls, the emails, the web site which must be maintained, etc. etc.

There are some events out there which have attempted to go "cheap", with a "bargain" perch fee etc. But, the problem is, I have seen some of these "Lofts" and I don't seee these as any real bargains. I am reminded of certain contractors whose main selling point is that they will work cheaper then the next guy. My few experiences with working with these types of deals is that you often get what you pay for. The industry standard seems to have settled in to the $100 to $125 range for the so called "Perch" fees, and for the level of service I have gotten from this particular event, that seems like a pretty good bargain to me.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Hey Warren You Are Right,i Sent 3 To A One Loft Race,no Updates,and I Dont Think They Traine The Birds Down The Road,i Was Upset About 200 Birds From 150 Mls Big Loss On A Good Day I Figure Good Train Birds,healthy Should Be Able To Fly 150 Mls On A Good Weather Day.at The End Of The 3 Races I Was Lucky Only Lost 1 Out 3 Good Luck.

·
Registered
5,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
http://www.wincompanion.com/one_unikon/messages/listMess.php?skin=winner

News and Updates
Aug-22-2011
Good Monday everyone!! weather has dropped in temperature somewhat.....still in the 90s projected for the week. This week is training crate week. Meaning that each day after their 3 hrs. of flight time, the birds will be taught to enter the training crates (that they have had free access to all this time) on command with my little white stick tapping the floor. This way, when we do begin to train, we can have the crates loaded and on the road in a matter of 10 minutes. They will spend 15 minutes in the crates from here on out daily until we head out. (weather permitting) Now I have been saying all along that if the heat persists, we may begin slowly, by staying short. Then picking our days before proceeding further. Hopefully it will all change and we can just progress normally and get the schedule to be "on" for the beginning of October. Dont call and try to rush me though, for I am only considering the birds and what they have to deal with weatherwise........priority. Just keeping the playing field even for all birds to show what they really have in the RACES........:) be well everyone...

·
Registered
805 Posts
That is an update that pretty much shows you that this race has the right priorities, eh? It'll go on my "list" for whenever entry fees fit in the budget- I need to get my birds bred to that level first anyway. So, hopefully, as my finances improve, so will my birds, then Bam, watch out one loft world :D.

·
Registered
5,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
That is an update that pretty much shows you that this race has the right priorities, eh? It'll go on my "list" for whenever entry fees fit in the budget- I need to get my birds bred to that level first anyway. So, hopefully, as my finances improve, so will my birds, then Bam, watch out one loft world :D.
Agreed ! :)

Notice the number of updates which have been provided as compared to some other events ? This year I think Bill really adjusted the race to account for the poor economy, and so even a working guy can afford to have a bird or two in the race. I think the care and management of the birds is also apparent when you compare the lost or missing birds with some of the other One Loft events around the country. I know when I pay $100 or $125 for a perch fee, I like to actually see my birds make it to at least the 1st race !! :p As everyone knows, a bad training toss can come from out of no where, but I have followed some One Loft events where they always seem to have excessive losses. Maybe it is their loft, or loft location, their management or maybe even their training, who knows ?? I know that Bill for example gives the birds an opportunity to have a drink before they are released. Sure, it takes extra time, and is more effort then simply dumping the birds out and hoping for the best. But, this attention to detail is why they are setting the Gold Standard...at least IMHO, that is my personal perspective, for whatever it might be worth.

Aug-25-2011
Good Day everyone!! In the past, we have had anyone, even those not participating in the cup races to view the live camera during the races. The impact from so many fanciers watching results and races takes away huge bandwidth away causing real time to become very slow. Though we increase, actually double the bandwidth during the season (right now it is doubled) giving us better viewing, we must now only allow those who are participating in the races at the cup for 2011 access to the camera. by limiting access to those actually in the races, we will have better 'real time' viewing and faster reload capabilities showing results. Participants will receive the new password enabling the cameras this year via email. Thanks for your cooperation and your participation in the races for 2011 is greatly appreciated. bill

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
The pair I sent this year are out of Zus Maxx when I mated her to one of 2nd generation Ludo's.
I have probably said this in the past, but this bird is one good looking racing pigeon. Looks serious and (as dumb as this sounds) looks intelligent. And that isn't even taking into account the fantastic pedigree!

Maybe they airbrushed him like they used to do with pics of Marilyn Monroe. :)

1 - 20 of 110 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.