Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone this is my first question on here so I’m not even sure if I’m doing this right lol. But I’m looking after an orphan pigeon. He hatched 3 days ago and things seemed to be going good until around yesterday. I noticed his crop was slower than usual and the food took longer to leave it. Now today when I got up it was still a tiny bit puffy but I still fed him breakfast. And I filled his crop up and now it’s been hours and it’s still full. I’m using Kaytee exact hand feeding formula. It’s watery but not too watery. I have no idea what to do. He’s only eaten once today but I’m scared to feed him anymore of the crop is still full. He won’t starve right? I’m trying to wait for it to go down. I read on some other threads that I can mix warm applesauce with water, should I try that or wait for it to go down then try it? He’s always at 100 degrees, I put him on a hot water bottle to feed him so he’s never cold and always nice and warm. Help please :( I don’t wanna lose him/her

·
Registered
4,199 Posts
The temperature must be 35 to 38 degrees Celsius (don't know how much that is in F), then they produce plenty of droppings. Formula should have the consistency of tomato ketchup, maybe a bit more runny cause he is still young. As he gets older, one can make it thicker.

Warm up some applesauce and feed him only that until the crop is completely empty. After feeding, massage his crop very gently. Be carefull not to push his food back into his mouth, he can aspirate.

When you start feeding formula again, add a some amount of applesauce to keep things going. If the food is not digesting, he can starve or get sourcrop. So most important now is to get things going again.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts