Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have 3 pigeons that I have raised from babies that have lived with me for the past little over a year. My landlord is giving me a week to get them out of my place. I have my original pigeon "Bod" that I've had over 3 years I raised too but he said he'd let me keep him. He just thinks I have too many birds and I can tell he don't like them for what they are. But that is beside the point. I live in Kenova, WV, it is on the Kentucky, Ohio, and West Virginia border. Is there anyone that could take my birds? They are very healthy and smart. I'm really not sure if no one can take them if they will survive out in the world. Has anyone ever had to do this and just release pigeons that have been domesticated, do they go wild? I'm really worried about them and it's driving me nuts thinking about having to just release them. Any advice would help.

Thank You

·
Registered
911 Posts
Please do not release your birds. They have been hand raised and are human imprinted. Their chances for survival out in the wild on their own are zero.

Hopefully someone here will be able to help you.

Keep posting and checking back.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Have you considered renting somewhere else in the area with a landlord that is'nt against pigeons. I live in ireland and i was told the same so i move to a house just down the road where i can keep as many as i please. There are only a hand full of landlords that don't allow certain pets so if you can't move then look into see what your rite's are as a paying tennant.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
I would give them to a friend for awhile to watch them, let the landlord come in and see you got rid of them, and then change the locks and don't give the landlord the key. The landlord is suppose to by law give you notice of inspection. A reasonable amount of time to inspect like 2 days. Soo he doesn't need a key. None of my landlords have ever had a key to my place. I always change the locks. If there is a fire and they need to get in, then tear down the door, but I don't think any landlord has a right to come in a place that is being paid rent without proper notice. As far as the pigeon, THere is ZERO chance that they would survive if set free. So I know you care for them so please don't do that. That is what I recommend if you can't find a home for them. Sorry you have to go through this with the landlord. Its terrible. min

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
I would give them to a friend for awhile to watch them, let the landlord come in and see you got rid of them, and then change the locks and don't give the landlord the key. The landlord is suppose to by law give you notice of inspection. A reasonable amount of time to inspect like 2 days. Soo he doesn't need a key. None of my landlords have ever had a key to my place. I always change the locks. If there is a fire and they need to get in, then tear down the door, but I don't think any landlord has a right to come in a place that is being paid rent without proper notice. As far as the pigeon, THere is ZERO chance that they would survive if set free. So I know you care for them so please don't do that. That is what I recommend if you can't find a home for them. Sorry you have to go through this with the landlord. Its terrible. min
Mindy...that isn't good advise regarding the landlord, although I realize you are well intended.
I agree that the birds will not survive if realeased.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
I realize its not good to lie. I try not to lie ever. But if they can't find the birds a home I don't want them to set them free and if they did hide the birds from the landlord I just suggested that to give more time to find a home for the birds. I think it would be better to lie to landlord than seeing birds die if they had NO choice and set them free. That's all that I was saying. Sorry. I wish I could help. Its heartbreaking when people have to give up there pets. min

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey everyone. I am going to try to keep them until someone can take them. I was hoping someone on here within even a couple hundred miles could take them in. I would drive them there. I have lived at my place for nearly 3 years and there was a strict no pet policy and I guess they are wanting to start applying it. I can't move because I am poor and live alone and so this is something I am going to have to do. If anyone knows of anyone within KY, OH, or WV with pigeons that could take 3 more please let me know.
Thanks

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Here's some pics of the 3 pigeons. The two in the two pictures are a male and female. The male is on the right. The female that is puffed up in the third picture is a female as well.

Attachments

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
As far as the info on changing her locks, don't think that's a good idea. If, in an emergency, the landlord had to enter.............................. Besides, if he gets angry at her, he can ask her to leave. I know that, at least in Mass., they don't need a reason to evict. I agree that they cannot just be released, but there has to be a better way, without alienating the landlord. He could also make her get rid of her original bird.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Maybe you could just post the pictures on your page.

Never mind. The pictures are up! Nice birds.

·
Registered
86 Posts
If you could ship them to New Hampshire I will take all three of them for you. I have one male(who adopted us) who needs a mate and the others would make good friends. They will have a good home here in a small loft, be well fed and spoiled!

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
If you could ship them to New Hampshire I will take all three of them for you. I have one male(who adopted us) who needs a mate and the others would make good friends. They will have a good home here in a small loft, be well fed and spoiled!

That's really nice of you. I hope it works out.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
They do make a smaller box, since you only have 3 to ship. Maybe someone can give you a link to it. I don't know it, but I will find out if someone else can't help you. Just give me until tomorrow afternoon. But yes, that is a good box, just alittle big for 3 pigeons. Just to give you an idea on how much shipping is, I got 4 birds from Miami Fl and I live in New Jersey and it was $50.00. So that will give you an idea, It may be cheaper since its probably is closer and its only 3 birds. But that is a ball park price. I would say it would be around $40.00 give or take $10.00.

Jandkds, that is nice of you, I hope it does work out.

·
Registered
896 Posts
Hey cryllc, I thought we were making arrangements to meet half way so that I could adopt them? So are they going to jandkds or me? Which is it?

1 - 20 of 40 Posts