Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have three birds that are always staying out at night. Squeakers, Avila and Greenie like to sit up on these paint cans that are ontop of a big shelf. Every night I have to go and get them down, and they never come down by themselves. Sometimes they see me, and go into a mad flight through the dark, bumping into the roof of our patio and sometimes hitting themselves so hard they fall to ground. Usually by then I can't get to them and they have to stay out at night. None have hurt themselves yet, but I'm pretty sure they will one day. What can I do help them come in by themselves?

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
I have three birds that are always staying out at night. Squeakers, Avila and Greenie like to sit up on these paint cans that are ontop of a big shelf. Every night I have to go and get them down, and they never come down by themselves. Sometimes they see me, and go into a mad flight through the dark, bumping into the roof of our patio and sometimes hitting themselves so hard they fall to ground. Usually by then I can't get to them and they have to stay out at night. None have hurt themselves yet, but I'm pretty sure they will one day. What can I do help them come in by themselves?
Do these birds live in a loft? Have they been trained to trap when you call them? If so, read this thread........the same thing (sort of) is going on with this other person.
http://www.pigeons.biz/forums/showthread.php?t=38390

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, my birds have a loft, but we don't have the trap doors, a landingboard, or proper perches, all my birds except a few live in nesting boxes. They don't respond to calling either, excpet if you make clicking sounds at them it seems to get their attention.

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
to get birds to come in to the loft they need plenty of perches and be trained with feed call to come in. not sure what to do now, but wait and hope they will come in on their own when you feed inside the loft.

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
My birds don't actaully come in all at the same time, Maybe I should just wait for the three to go in and then put them in a side cage until dark?
yeah if that is what works, most time people feed just twice a day and the pigeons eat what they want for about 20 mins, and then there should be very little food left, that is how you control them to come in, they need to be hungry, if not they will just mosey back and forth to eat whenever and you can not call them all in to eat and lock them in when you need to.

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
Now that I think about it, thats true. But my birds are really smart and really big pigs, so they spill half the food for when they want to eat again. I could try cleaning it up, but is it really worth it?
well that is up to you, if you want control that is how you get it, so that is the answer to how you get them in. If you want open loft and them coming and going when they want then do that, but you can't have it both ways.

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
...they spill half the food for when they want to eat again. I could try cleaning it up, but is it really worth it?
Do you mean that you would clean up what they spilled and put in back into their bowls for next time? Doing this would risk including some bits of poop in with the food, which would increase your birds' likelihood of getting sick. Most people try to avoid having their birds each what has spilled out. If they regularly spill a lot of their food, you might try a different type of feeder to reduce the wastage. Some birds fling seed more than others, and it seems to increase when birds are overfed and can afford to be picky.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts