Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I recscued from the Mall 3 pigeons, they are breed pigeons. There were other 5 more with rings (just number, no other letters), i couldn't take all;I strongly believe someone dropped them because all are sick i have a hard time with my BF when i rescue pigeons, but this seems an emergency . With some help of a man who has pigeons and was very skilled to cathed them, i took the 3 ones who had no rings.
No One is squab, may be 2 month old:not closing his beak, yawning, kind of swallowing and watery eyes.
Second one: limping
Third one: trembling and heavy breathing

The young one won't drink water (with salt and sugar). I have all of them in one cage. Should i separate them? I have small boxes only.

I have amoxicilin 500 mg.
Right now i have two eating on their own; the squab and the limping one who is a bit agressive. The thirs one whi's breathinh heavy, just lays down.

Please let me know the suspension for each of them. The grown ups i think are about 300 g (i can feel the keele bone when holding them).
Please advise.

Thank you.
Margaret

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
First thing is to get them all warm. Heating pad under a towel set on low. If you don't have a heating pad, put hot water in a water bottle and wrap a towel around it so they can't burn themselves.
What do their poops look like? Color, consistency? Pictures would be good.
Gently open their beaks and look down their throats. Check for canker. I would keep them all separate.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Wow -- beautiful birds.

Do you have any other meds on hand, besides the amoxicillin? Is the amoxicillin pills for humans? (It sounds like it from what you said.)

You can use that for starters, if it is the only option, but you'll need to be able to figure out the dosing, which might be a little tricky.

I'd try to hydrate the one that isn't drinking -- how much experience do you have with pigeons? Are you comfortable administering liquid into the crop?

Canned corn should be okay as long as it doesn't have other things added besides the corn ... but unless the bird is severely underweight, the most important thing immediately is the hydration and warmth ...

As gimpielover said, the more information you can give us, the more people will be able to help.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I separated them , each in each own box.
No. 1 - the young one (he can fly, but easy to catch) ate and drunk by himself and is very happy making cute noises. Small poop dark green and consistent.
No. 2 - the limping one..his injury is at the knee and bit swollen and the joint does not feel dislocated, but it feels a bit more bumpy on the exterior side..He poops good
No. 3 - cannot eat and drink..he was hydrated (vita. with electrolytes)and after feed with corn (from the can) and a few millet and milo and sunflower in between. He has rapid breathing. He pooped ok, not watery, a bit soft from the corn. He has 2 rings, one one leg is metal ring 123 and the other green 15.

Here's a video of him breathing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swWemCs9JaQ&feature=plcp

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Amoxicillin is antibiotic for humans. I have 500 mg.
I know how to use the syringe.

I just don't know what medication is good for the problem the sick one have. I can order on line if someone knows a better medications..and please send me the link.
What sickness has symptom for fast breathing?

Their mouth is clean no visible canker.

The 5 pigeons left at the mall (parking lot) were not there this morning. It's sad..they were all hungry and skinny and sick ( one had infection eye)

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
I would use a broad spectrum antibiotic like baytril on all of them for 7 to 10 days, follow up with nystatin (anti yeast) and then a probiotic. heat would be good and make sure they are hydrated. if you have to hand feed use the defrosted peas and corn.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Dima, can you go online and find someone there that sells enrofloxacin, or Norfloxin?

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I came back from work and the pigeons were all in the same spot. I gave them seeds.
So sad..all with rings but only numbers...The one with bad eye is the one running excited with his wings open.
5 pigeons
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQBavadnTgM&feature=plcp
On the way back from the mall i went to them again to give them water. The" bird man" who is an expert in catching pigeons was there and other 2 man.
This time the bird man spotted a white bird under another car (it from the same flock) He said he was grabbed by a seagull and his wing is damaged. you can see him trying to pick it up. The white pigeons cannot fly.
6 pigeons
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgFJoCy2pxA&feature=plcp

What should i do? Should i call Mississauga Animal Control? I know that if i insist they will come. But i don't know how they will end up. TWC euthanize them (i was told by a rehabber - Matilda Bars---not Charis). I will talk to Matilda again..she said she used to care for them but never keep them, regardless they were grown in captivity (without soft release).
What can i do? I was talking with my BF. We already did the best with the ones we have. He said that TWC and City of Mississauga animal Control will kill them. All we can do for now now is feed them and give water and let the nature take its course..(theone with bad eye and the white ones who caanot fly most likely will be eaten, attacked and the other will end up mingling with the ferals)

The young pigeon is doing well. Squeals when eats. This one can be release soon. if the other sick ones are alive i cpould bring him in to care for him, but no choise i have but to release them back when they are healthy.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Dima, if you are going to release them after they are well, then save your money, and just let them go now. Won't matter, because they won't make it anyway. They're domestic birds, so most will either starve to death or become hawk bait.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Dima, can you go online and find someone there that sells enrofloxacin, or Norfloxin?
Ok Jay i will do it..But will take time untill delivered. I started to administer Amoxicilin to the one who doesn't eat or drink and breaths rapidly. When i came from home, i found corn puked beside him ( soft corn from the can). I bought peas. I will hand feed him in one hour.
I gave him 10 mg of Amoxicillin.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
They should be treated for canker.
enrofloxacin IS BAYTRIL. This a wide spectrum antibiotic. Is this for canker also or i have to order something else?

Amoxicillin is milder than Baytril from what i read. That wouldn't harm him untill i get the right medicine .Would it harm him?

·
Registered
29,797 Posts

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Dima, if you are going to release them after they are well, then save your money, and just let them go now. Won't matter, because they won't make it anyway. They're domestic birds, so most will either starve to death or become hawk bait.
Jay i cannot make a habbit out of this. I wish i had my own pigeons to have babies, but i give them fake eggs for at least 2 yr. There are 6 more at the mall..that would make it half of what i already have.
The rehabber i talked to she said that's what she does. I know wrong, i am not new here on PT, but i am doing my best. I can put them for adoption, craig's list and pay the delivery...Please undestand i am trying my best.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Dima, I'm not judging you. I'm just being realistic, and telling you what is going to happen to them. They are domestic. I didn't make the rules. Don't shoot the messenger. I'm only pointing out the reality of the whole thing.

Craigs List is not a great place to go. Too many people looking for birds for dog training and such. Maybe someone on PT could adopt them. There must be other people from Canada who might be able to take them.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
By the way, I forgot. No, Enrofloxacin will not treat canker. Metronidazole or another canker med.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Dima, I'm not judging you. I'm just being realistic, and telling you what is going to happen to them. They are domestic. I didn't make the rules. Don't shoot the messenger. I'm only pointing out the reality of the whole thing.

Craigs List is not a great place to go. Too many people looking for birds for dog training and such. Maybe someone on PT could adopt them. There must be other people from Canada who might be able to take them.
I will try my best to find them a nice home.:)

1 - 20 of 38 Posts