Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a roller that I hand-reared from day 1 and now the roller is 32 days old and it STILL HAS NOT PECKED A SINGLE SEED. I have hand-raised one before but at about 3 weeks old, that bird started to peck seeds and by 28 days, I put him in with the other birds.

I have tried my best to show the youngster how to eat by using my hands and it doesn't work. I've let him starve a little (a whole day without feed) and he was squeaking alot but wouldn't peck at the seeds so I kept feeding it and am still hand-feeding it. I am worried that it will never learn to eat by itself. Has this ever happened where a pigeon does not learn to eat? Thanks for any, and all, advice.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
I wonder if you cut back what your feeding him by hand by half and leave food out for him .would he figure it out than . Is he drinking on his own ?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
As I have stated, I did cut back on feed and let him go an entire day without hand-feeding and he didn't peck at a single seed. I kept seeds in front of him and even "pecked" with my own fingers hoping he would emulate it. I am worried and don't know what to do. I don't want to hand-feed him forever...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts