Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1st toss was .5 miles, 2nd was 1.5 miles. Today was a great day so I thought I'd take them out. It's about 2.5 or 2.6 miles. 5 minutes, no sign yet. I'll keep you guys posted. :)

God Bless,
Kevin

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
They came back within 15 minutes, took a while but they are all back which is all that matters :)

How far should I go next? Any suggestions?

·
Registered
459 Posts
how old are your birds? mine are 4 months and have alredy done 50 miles!?!? o and they are white homers, so blues can do much better!!!!

·
Registered
318 Posts
IMO anything less than 10 miles from the loft and they're just playing around.. read Bert Braspennings loft manager column in the Oct 15th RPD.
I don't know why but I seem to lose more birds on training tosses under 10 miles than any other tosses farther down the road

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
how old are your birds? mine are 4 months and have alredy done 50 miles!?!? o and they are white homers, so blues can do much better!!!!
2 are about 2 or 3 months and the other 2 I had to re-home at 4 months so they are about 6 months old. If I had my own car I would spend more time in taking them out but the tosses only happen when my mom lets me use her car lol!

IMO anything less than 10 miles from the loft and they're just playing around.. read Bert Braspennings loft manager column in the Oct 15th RPD.
I don't know why but I seem to lose more birds on training tosses under 10 miles than any other tosses farther down the road
Okay, thanks.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
They came back within 15 minutes, took a while but they are all back which is all that matters :)

How far should I go next? Any suggestions?
Well since we have a car issue. See if Mom will take them to work or next time she goes shopping, when you go to church. At some point it quits being training and become exercize. When you get to that point, anywhere and anytime there is enough daylight for them to get home is a good place to release them. So once you get to 10, 20 miles. even releasing them back at 3, 5, 10 miles is ok because they still get exerice. Now when you start racing the rules will change. For now anytime you can get them out regardless the distance, is good for them.

Tony

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well since we have a car issue. See if Mom will take them to work or next time she goes shopping, when you go to church. At some point it quits being training and become exercize. When you get to that point, anywhere and anytime there is enough daylight for them to get home is a good place to release them. So once you get to 10, 20 miles. even releasing them back at 3, 5, 10 miles is ok because they still get exerice. Now when you start racing the rules will change. For now anytime you can get them out regardless the distance, is good for them.

Tony
Thanks Tony, That's a great idea.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts