Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a 4 day old baby inside who I am trying very hard to save. I brought it in Sunday night when I noticed that it's nestmate was 4-5 times bigger. I did try just removing the bigger one during feeding time but the parents were soooo skittish that they wouldn't go back to the nest while I was in there holding one of their babies. I REALLY didn't want to bring the tiny one in becuase I had never had to feed anything sooo young before but.....didn't know what else to do.
So in he came, I thought he might be too young for the bottle method so the first night I used the syringe at the back of the throat. After wrestling with little squirmy a few times I figured we would give the bottle a shot and was thrilled to see he immediately took to it. We seemed to be doing good through this morning, baby was standing up and cheeping for food, crop was emptying every 4 hours, was pooping at least 2-3 times between feedings. Then tonight I noticed it is taking alot longer for his crop to empty (just got applesause) but my bigger concern is he now sounds sort of congested while breathing.

I don't believe the size difference is due to paratyphoid. All my birds are vaccinated and routinely medicated and no mice in the loft.
The bigger baby hatched early Thursday and the smaller one hatched late Friday. Also the parents were WAY too young to raise babies. I actually never intended to let them have these, I could have sworn that I had switched the eggs out for dummies, so imagine my surprise when I found eggshells on the floor and little babies in the bowl :eek:!!

ADD ON: Just checked on him and it almost looks more like air in his crop not food? His last feeding was at 6:00 is now 12:00 and he has pooped 3 times since but his crop still looks a bit poofy.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Try mixing some probiotic to his food, canker is one of possibilities, but you know your birds better. Keep him warm as digestion in babies will slow if cold.
If you want to try placing him back in nest, take other baby and keep it warm where you will not scare parents. Pigeon crop milk contains digestive enzymes and good bacteria that keeps baby immune system in order.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Sorry I should have mentioned that he is on a heating pad in a nice warm room and I had been mixing yogurt in with his Kaytee every other feeding. I just got applesause (sugar free) tonight which I will put in his next feeding (when his crop goes down).

As for Canker, I highly doubt it is a sickness of any kind, as I mentioned they are all routinely medicated for such things. I really think this started because it was the second one to hatch and having very young, inexperienced parents.

I had originally thought that I would just bring it in for a couple supplemental feedings and put it back out with it's parents when it caught back up, but now his nestmate is growing by leaps and bounds so he can't catch up and I am concerned that having been gone from the nest for a few days the parents will reject it if I try to put it back in.

I am wondering if by using the bottle if he got some food stuck up his nostrils or sucked in a little air? I can go back to using the syringe if it is better for him until he gets bigger.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK so as of this morning his crop had gone back down and he had pooped like a little trooper BUT he does still sound like he has a stuffy nose. I went back to feeding him with the syringe in case he was getting food in his nostrils

If he does have some sort of respitory infection how on earth do I adjust the dosage for something so small??

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
If he does have some sort of respitory infection how on earth do I adjust the dosage for something so small??
Start with getting his weight, then post this and what meds you have on hand, and their strength, and someone will help you with a dosage.

Good luck with him,

Karyn

·
Registered
503 Posts
I also hand fed young bird due to the death of the mom. But I use the Kaytee hand rearing formula, it is design to give nutriuents to young birds, so I suggest acquiring this formula if you really want the bird to survive. Also I never have problem on the size of the squab in the nest due to I always remove the first egg and replace it with a dummy eggs, then I place the first eggs to a warm container and wait for the second egg to come out, then I place the first egg back to the nest. I been doing this because if I don't the first hatch will always be twice as large once the second egg hatched and most of the time the second hatch will die due to not able to get enough feed from the parents, so timing is crucial if you want both young to be the same size once the eggs hatch.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
I also hand fed young bird due to the death of the mom. But I use the Kaytee hand rearing formula, it is design to give nutriuents to young birds, so I suggest acquiring this formula if you really want the bird to survive. Also I never have problem on the size of the squab in the nest due to I always remove the first egg and replace it with a dummy eggs, then I place the first eggs to a warm container and wait for the second egg to come out, then I place the first egg back to the nest. I been doing this because if I don't the first hatch will always be twice as large once the second egg hatched and most of the time the second hatch will die due to not able to get enough feed from the parents, so timing is crucial if you want both young to be the same size once the eggs hatch.
That is exactly what I used to do when breeding canaries. They have more eggs though. Take them out of the nest and keep in the small cardboard box with soft lining and air access. Once the hen lays last egg, I would put all back and babies hatch the same day.
Unfortunately here we have existing baby in disadvantaged situation.
Moonshadow13, you can check if there is any obstruction in nostrils as dry formula and try clean them with wet Q-tip.
I would also try to place small dish with water or wet cloth closely to keep air moist and ease baby breathing.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OK..... would have come back yesterday with the babies weight and my meds but all day I couldn't hear any congestion or breathing problems even when holding her right up to my ear and not wanting to medicate one so small for no reason I thought I would watch her and see. Then tonight I heard it again, almost like a crackling noise when she is breathing so.......

She weighs - 22 grams and though I have a bunch of different meds on hand I think the most appropriate if able to adjust the dosage is the Doxy-Ty Tabs they are 25 mg Tylosin/7 mg Doxycycline

I also have- Duramyacin -10 Powder (Tetracycline Hydrochloride) - Clindamyacin Liquid - Sulmet Liquid - Albon Powder - Triple C Antibiotic Powder - Divet Tablets

I also think I figured out how she got in this situation. I thought she wasn't getting fed in the nest because she was the second hatch. We've since noticed she seems to have limited use of her right leg. She can move it and put weight on it but it almost looks as though it is shorter than the left. Now, she has been over using the left so much it is starting to look splayed. So for now that is exactly how I am going to treat it, hoping it helps.

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
She weighs - 22 grams and though I have a bunch of different meds on hand I think the most appropriate if able to adjust the dosage is the Doxy-Ty Tabs they are 25 mg Tylosin/7 mg Doxycycline
I would go with the Doxy-T.

I will calculate for a fairly standard dosing of doxycycline for pigeons of 25mg/kg twice a day (I am going to calculate only for the doxycycline as the Tylosin will be in the correct proportion once this is done). So this works out to 0.025 of doxycycline per gram of body weight. So 0.025 x 22 grams, equals a dose for your little one of 0.55mg twice a day.

To get this dosage with the pills you have take one pill crush it up as fine as you can and add to this 2.5ml of warm water. This will give you a concentration of 2.8mg/ml. Make sure it is well mixed/dissolved into the water and give a dose to the 0.20 line on a 1ml syringe, this will be a dose of 0.56mg of doxycycline, which will be quite close enough, as mentioned earlier, give this every twelve hours. Shake very well before each use and refrigerate this until used up.

If you have any questions, please ask away.

Good luck and I hope this helps,

Karyn

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
Moonshadow13, a 6ml syringe I think is going to be too big to be accurate with this small dosing.

I would rather see you use an eyedropper and give 3 drops of the mixed meds, I think you will be closer this way to being more accurate. If you could pick-up a 1cc syringe in your travels they are handy to have around.

Karyn

1 - 12 of 12 Posts