Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, please help me out.

I have a baby feral pij who I've been hand feeding for just over a week. he's been doing really well until this morning. His crop hasnt emptied from a feed I gave him 16 hours ago, and he's generally listless. He's still standing up and has had a drink of water this morning but I'm worried. It appears his most recent poops have consisted of not much but the white part.

What can I do to get his GI tract moving again?

I adore this little bird. Please help me. Thanks.

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
Hi all, please help me out.

I have a baby feral pij who I've been hand feeding for just over a week. he's been doing really well until this morning. His crop hasnt emptied from a feed I gave him 16 hours ago, and he's generally listless. He's still standing up and has had a drink of water this morning but I'm worried. It appears his most recent poops have consisted of not much but the white part.

What can I do to get his GI tract moving again?

I adore this little bird. Please help me. Thanks.
you will have to wait it out to let the crop goes down... are you sure it is not air..sometimes air can be in the crop from feeding.. what are you feeding and how often?... only feed when the crop empties.. human baby food applesauce with a drop or two of apple cider vinegar can for a few feedings can get things moving.. but I would not put it on top of a very full crop.. try to massage the crop some and see and wait for it to go down.. can you post a picture of him and his droppings?.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's not air, it's the hand rearing formula I gave him yesterday afternoon. I only feed when he's empty. I tried to put pics on but apparently they didn't work. I won't be able to do it now until I get home from work. I am getting a crop needle today, so I can clear him out if nothing has moved. There is a little bit of normal looking poop now, but not as large as they should be. He's still very quiet, so I put him in a donut with water by him. He's still drinking.

·
Registered
Wife-bird, Squeak, an unreleaseable stringfoot pidge, & blind boy, Magoo, + occasional rehab guests.
65 Posts
I’m so sorry to hear that, & sorry for your loss. :cry: Thank you for doing your best to help Bertie...❤

1 - 8 of 8 Posts