Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear All,

I kept one of my 45 days old squab with another pair because parents of that squab are feeding another hatchling.

That pair has beaten squab a lot that his eye lashes are Red, I took the squab out. Is it fair enough for any pigeon pair to beat another squab, also how much time it will take to cure for red eye lashes or do I need to take him to Vet

Thanks

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
They just saw the squab as an intruder to their nest because it isn't their baby so never a good idea to mix birds that way, lucky it wasn't killed. Bathe the wounds with tepid slightly salted water and see how it goes because it may need antibiotics from the vet if it doesn't start to heal and swells up.

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
Hey The H,
45 days old squab should be weaned by now. Doesn't he eat on his own? He doesn't need parents to feed him. Work on his weaning...
Anyways, yes pigeons dont feed young from other pigeons. They start to recognise their own offsprings when the pin feathers start to grow in. Its always risky to switch the young when they've grown their pin feathers. 45 day old bird is way too grown for switching annnnnnnd he dont need parents to feed him.
His skin around eyes will be near good in three days...

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
I wouldn't bath near the eyes with salted water. It'll sting the eyes. As Jass says, it should be fine in a few days. And yes they saw him as an intruder to their nest. You can't just assume that any pair is going to feed someone elses baby. What they did was normal.
Can you post a picture of him?

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
You can bathe eyes with salted water, any sting is short lived but obviously not a strong solution. Because salt is a cleanser it helps rid bacteria - we give the same advice to patients with conjunctivitis so it's got to be safe for animals too.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
You can bathe eyes with salted water, any sting is short lived but obviously not a strong solution. Because salt is a cleanser it helps rid bacteria - we give the same advice to patients with conjunctivitis so it's got to be safe for animals too.
Okay. Thanks Freda.:)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.