Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a quick question do these pigeons look like a healthy 7 day old pigeons???? I need this answer. I also want to know when can i take them out of the nest and feed them on their own. The picture is next to my Name in the upper left hand corner. Click on the green button and then on the view public profile.

:)

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is it normal for a baby pigeon that is one day apart from another to look a lot bigger than the one that hatched a day later?????

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
Is it normal for the second pigeon egg to hatch a day after the first one hatches???
Yes, that happens when incubation of the first egg begins when it's layed. The more experienced hens will actually start incubating the eggs after the second one is laid, and then the babies are hatched around the same time.

Is it normal for a baby pigeon that is one day apart from another to look a lot bigger than the one that hatched a day later?????
Yes, the baby hatched a day earlier will we bigger, as it is older and sometimes stronger and able to get mom and dads attention, and get fed first. You can remove the bigger baby ,if the smaller one is not able to compete for food, until the little one is stuffed first.

However, one baby being bigger then the other can also be a symptom of disease, but the younger one will not look healthy, also.

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
I have a quick question do these pigeons look like a healthy 7 day old pigeons???? I need this answer. I also want to know when can i take them out of the nest and feed them on their own. The picture is next to my Name in the upper left hand corner. Click on the green button and then on the view public profile.

:)
It's hard to tell from the picture, as it is so small, check the babies from this site at 7 days and click on the pic and it will enlarge it.

http://www.speedpigeon.com/baby_racing_pigeon.htm

7 days, click on picture to enlarge:

http://www.speedpigeon.com/7-Day_Old_baby_racing_pigeon.jpg

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Please go to my pictures the first one. Is the first picture of the pigeon behind the big pigeon look like a healthy 7 day old pigeon? I really need this question answered. Thanks,
Becky

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
7 days old Healthy????? pigeon

Please go to my pictures the first one. Is the first picture of the pigeon behind the big pigeon look like a healthy 7 day old pigeon? I really need this question answered. Thanks,
Becky

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
Becky
Yes it looks normal to me, but next time, I would give them(parent birds) a nest bowl that has concave sides so they do not get splayed leg.:)

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Baby Pigeons, LOTS OF QUESTIONS

What is splayed Leg i have never heard of it before?

I also wanted to know if it is normal for a mother bird to step on her babies? My pigeon mother steps on them when she moves her feet. Can a baby bird die from that????

If i was to hand feed a baby pigeon do you know what age it would have to be when i take it out. My pigeons are both 10 days old and i am thinking of taking them out today????

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
What is splayed Leg i have never heard of it before?

I also wanted to know if it is normal for a mother bird to step on her babies? My pigeon mother steps on them when she moves her feet. Can a baby bird die from that????

If i was to hand feed a baby pigeon do you know what age it would have to be when i take it out. My pigeons are both 10 days old and i am thinking of taking them out today????
pigeons are weaned around 25 to 30 days old so, no do not take them out from the parent birds that are feeding them, unless you have a prob. splayed leg is when the legs get deformed from not being able to keep their legs under them, sometimes this happens on a flat surface. oh I just saw the little one behind the other...duh...he does look small. I would take the bigger one out for just a bit before they feed so that one gets more food, you can suppliment if you think he needs it....another look,..yeah he needs some feedings from you, go to the pet store and get exact handrearing formula and follow the directions, and feed him with that,

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
will i need to give him water with a syringe???
no the formula is mixed with water, you may want to put him in a little bowl to keeps his legs under him, a bowl with some tissue in it or something like that. if you have a thermometer that can help, don't want to cook him..;):)

1 - 20 of 56 Posts