Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I found this bird in the parking lot of the local grocery store. It was around 100 degrees and this poor thing would just step side to side and turn...like he was hot but not able to fly away. He looks super healthy, but Im thinking he may have got hit by a car enoughto cause some confusion. When I first saw him he was trembling, blinking a lot and a little unstable. I got him into the car and turned up the air and he was able to drink water from a water cap. He did not move or even fight at all when I pick him up. I now have him in my room, with a bowl of water and feed. I have gave him water from the cap several times since I have not seen him drink or eat. about 3 hours later the shaking has stopped and he seems normal. Now when I approach he seems more alert and will side step a little to avoid me if I come from above and even raised a wing once or twice. he seem cool with me rubbing his head and throat area (I am sure that is not the proper terminology :)) He looks like he might try and fly soon as sometimes he crouches if I am removing soiled papers, but he has not.
I will post a pic. Any ideas why he doesn't fly...I imagine he did at some point to land in the middle of the parking lot. I read alot on various post about keeping the bird warm...since its like over 100 degrees is that an issue here. We are indoors and I have him in a cooler side of the room so its not so hot and humid - thoughts on that. Is this a older bird or younger - he is rather beautiful!! I have never rehabbed a Pigeon (does anyone know what type of bird it is?) I cant find a picture of a black pigeon anywhere. I don't want to put it outdoors in my area as there are many bird killing cats in our neighborhood. I would love to release him if that is a good idea but don't feel good about it in this city environment :/
Look forward to hearing any and all advice. Thanks!!

Attachments

·
Registered
29,795 Posts
Looks to be a young bird. Maybe someones pigeon who got lost and dehydrated. Not a feral. He could be injured or sick, but may just be dehydrated in the heat you are having. You could offer him a cup of tepid water with a pinch of salt and a pinch of sugar mixed in. See how he is tomorrow after a night of rest and water, and can you get him a wild bird seed or a dove mix? Maybe we can find a home for him. I love black pigeons and this one is very pretty.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you!

Thanks everyone for your quick replies. He seems to be doing really good this morning. When I awoke he was already looking around to get out of the box and eventually flew out and started exploring my room.
I did pick up dove food last night at the pet store and while we was out walking I sprinkled a few at his feet, he pecked at it but I don't think he ate any.
Right now he seems to like to fly onto my arm and is currently on the back of the chair I am sitting in.

I found a few pigeon friendly sites and will call when they open this morning. Seem like it was heat related due to his quick recovery. but I would like an expert opinion just to be safe.

In the posts it was suggested this is not a feral bird. I don't want to keep someone's pet, He seems rather adorable and I imagine they miss him. how do you all suggest trying to locate the owner?

Thanks again for all the support!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
6,549 Posts
If he doesnt have a band, all you can do is post places like here and see if the owner sees it. Hope you adopt him as he is truly adorable.

·
Registered
29,795 Posts
I think he was lost and got dehydrated and couldn't find his way home. No food and even more so water would have had that effect on him. I bet that is all that was wrong. Poor thing. If he doesn't eat on his own, you will need to feed him.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I guess I have a new family member! :)

Thanks all,

One final update! I took him to an Avian vet yesterday to get him checked out and also learn as much as possible. He is in perfect health, obviously has been around humans a long time and is a younger bird. He is busy grooming and has started eating and drinking out a bowl. The vet also said his weight was a little low but still healthy. Looks like he was just dehydrated and hungry!

He is a cutie and I plan to keep him unless the owner shows up!

Thanks again for all the help, it was super timely and you all told me everything the vet did, I just wanted to make sure he had no injuries to be aware of.

best,

Belinda

·
Registered
29,795 Posts
I'm glad he is healthy and doing well. Please keep us updated on his progress. You saved his life by taking him in.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Updates

Thanks everyone! He continues to do well. Eating a lot! drinking a lot and seems to be settling in. I have a very nice cage I that has plenty of width, very nice height and depth. I let him fly around as much as possible and have bird proofed certain areas of the house. I created a nest and bought a few perches but will build shelves for walking this weekend. The bottom the the cage is lined so he is not on wires. So far so good!
Thanks for all the amazing support.

*I actually don't know if he is male or female and forgot to ask the vet! I read you monitor behavior as they get older. Any other ways to tell?
*What is your opinion on flight suits?
*Does anyone take their birds about the town, etc...he is so quiet and well behaved :))

Ill send updated pictures this weekend!

·
Registered
29,795 Posts
Some do use flight suits. I personally don't like them. Not natural and usually hard for them to get used to. As far as taking him outside and around town, not a good idea. Many have come on and had accidents happen that way. Hawks will grab them right off your shoulder in a second, and they have. A pigeon doesn't want to go around town like that anyway. If a wire enclosure could be put up in the yard for him to go out in, where you could even set up a bath for him, some sun, some shade, in a safe area, that would be nice. 1/2 inch hardware cloth for the wire is safe because things cannot reach through. He would enjoy that a lot more than being toted around. I'm sure someone will come in and disagree, but they are really not pets to take around with you.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for your response. I wanted to know what others were doing based on all the information floating on the web. At the end of the day I just want to keep him safe and happy and provide as much of a natural environment as possible. I won't make a pocket pet out of him ;)

Thanks so much for all the feedback. As a result of this forum and the great resources you all provided I feel like I have all the information necessary to provide a safe and healthy space for him.

·
Registered
29,795 Posts
I think he is pretty lucky that you found him. He will need a couple hours a day out of cage time to socialize and exercise. Pigeons are generally happier when they have another pigeon for companionship. In nature he/she wouldn't be alone all day. But when kept as a pet and caged, they are left alone a good deal of the time. So time out of cage to socialize with you and be able to get some exercise is very important. They are very smart birds, so to just sit all day with nothing to do would be awful.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thank you Jay3! I think I was pretty lucky too :) I leave him out as long as I am home which is most of the day and he seems to enjoy that. At some point next month I plan to look into adopting another bird and they would both benefit. I have read about all the birds out there in need of adoption.

Happy Sunday!

·
Registered
29,795 Posts
That would be great, but if you have a male, he may not get along with another male. A male- female combo is good. Usually 2 females will get along.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts