Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i need your ideas

this what i was thinking about getting. it is 8x12 and its $1600.00. which includes.
1. three windows in the front which i can use as traps
2.continuous ridge vent.
3.the doors in the pictures are at the front will be installed on the end
when and if i get it i will have 3 areas 4x6 with a 2' hallway going along the back.
IF THATS TO SMALL OF A INSIDE AREA
i can make 2 rooms 6x6 then need only 2 windows.
for ventilation i was going to install jalousie windows on the bottom..

Attachments

·
Registered
822 Posts
My shed/coop/loft is 6Wx8Lx6H with a small flight pen on the front and its GREAT, even before we build the Aviary. You may have covered this in your other thread but:
For how many birds?
What kind of birds?
Will you attach an outdoor aviary?
Will you fly your birds?

·
Registered
822 Posts
My shed/coop/loft is 6Wx8Lx6H with a small flight pen on the front and its GREAT, even before we build the Aviary. You may have covered this in your other thread but:

For how many birds?
What kind of birds?
Will you fly your birds?

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

For how many birds?
What kind of birds?
Will you fly your birds?

40 MAX
racing pigeons

aviary..yes

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
40 MAX
racing pigeons

aviary..yes
I know that there are folks who would put this many in a loft this size but I would limit it to 24. I use the formula of 2 square feet of floor space for each bird, assuming at least a 6 foot height. Perhaps this is conservative but overcrowding is by far the worst contributor to poor health in our birds. I will always error on the side of caution.

Dan

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
If it were me I would go with the 3 4x6 and a 2 ft hallway. You'll want 1 section for breeding, 1 for old birds and 1 for young birds. Unfortunately I had a limited budget when I constructed my current loft but that's what my plans are for my next loft.

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
I know that there are folks who would put this many in a loft this size but I would limit it to 24. I use the formula of 2 square feet of floor space for each bird, assuming at least a 6 foot height. Perhaps this is conservative but overcrowding is by far the worst contributor to poor health in our birds. I will always error on the side of caution.

Dan
IF the loft was going to be 8 x 12, then he could put 40 birds in there easy enough, however, by the time the loft is divided into 3 sections and a 2ft section across the back is a hallway..........the 8 x 12 loft isn't 8 x 12 inside anymore.

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
i need your ideas

this what i was thinking about getting. it is 8x12 and its $1600.00. which includes.
1. three windows in the front which i can use as traps
2.continuous ridge vent.
3.the doors in the pictures are at the front will be installed on the end
when and if i get it i will have 3 areas 4x6 with a 2' hallway going along the back.
IF THATS TO SMALL OF A INSIDE AREA
i can make 2 rooms 6x6 then need only 2 windows.
for ventilation i was going to install jalousie windows on the bottom..
Trust me on this. By the time you pay $1600 for this building, modify it by cutting holes in walls and moving doors, put all the necessary stuff inside, (nest boxes, perches, walls, etc...) you would be a lot better off BUILDING your loft yourself..........AND it wouldn't cost any more and would probably be cheaper and bigger.
Of course, this loft was built in 2004, but at that time, it cost us about $1500 to put it up and it's an 8 x 16. Husband did all the work, but still..........

·
Registered
286 Posts
IF the loft was going to be 8 x 12, then he could put 40 birds in there easy enough, however, by the time the loft is divided into 3 sections and a 2ft section across the back is a hallway..........the 8 x 12 loft isn't 8 x 12 inside anymore.
That would make it 8x10 or 6x12 which equals 80 sq. ft. and would still give them 2 sq. ft. per bird. So yeah I would go with 40 +/-

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
I'm sorry, but if he runs the 2 foot hallway across the back of the loft, that would make it only 6X12, which gives him 72 sq. feet.

·
Registered
286 Posts
That's true, I was going with the 8x10. I really wouldn't go with the hall if it was just 2 ft. unless he's really skinny. My loft is 8x8 and I have 39 birds in it and they have plenty of room. Me personaly, I think if you have any where from 1.5 to 2 sq. ft. your fine ,For young birds, old birds are a different story.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Loft

I designed this loft from the one that Lovebirds has. It is 8X16 with three sections and one hallway. The TOTAL cost was just a little over $1700.00 (Contractor Price for building supplies).

George

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
I agree, that's a pretty narrow hallway. And losing it would give him another two feet the length of the loft. I think I'd eliminate it too, unless he really needs it.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
George, that's really nice looking. Just like Renees. But, maybe he isn't handy enough to build it. Not everyone can do that.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
I hope you'll share pics with us as you go along. Have you decided how you'll do it?

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Well, go as big as you can. No matter what anyone builds, they always wish they had done something differently. And usually wish they had made it bigger! 10 X 20 must be nice. Not too many have that. He must have many birds. Are you handy enough to build it?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts