Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first baby pigeon ever! I didn't expect my first time Mom to lay this time of year but she laid just one egg instead of two. She is a good Mom but the dad doesn't want to sit in the daytime! Instead, he tries to herd her back in. The baby is fat and growing, though. I plan to bring him in once the parents kick him out. When will that be? I have fake eggs ready so no babies in dead of winter. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

·
Registered
9,868 Posts
The dad is supposed to sit in the daytime so the mom can have her time out and do her thing.
How about if you take the mom out for a couple of hours, maybe then the dad would tend to the baby.
At about that age they start slowly leaving the baby alone. Just make sure the baby is well fed and warm. He should be alright.

Reti

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
Thanks for the advice. I will try that. I'm so nervous and excited!
CONGRATULATIONS! :)
I have had some dad's do that (herd mom back into the nest on HIS shift), not often thank God. I just keep an extra eye on them to make sure he's fed and warm, and nobody is bothering him.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good to know he's not the only dead beat Dad! So far, baby is doing well. It helps that he has started peeping and when he does, both parents run to him. Dad still won't sit for long but will sometimes sit with Mom in the nest and contribute food. Thanks for the encouragement!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts