Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
today i let my birds leave their loft on their own and 10 came back and i have a ghost pigeon still out i'll see him and then i don't around feed time i put the bobs down on the trap and they all figured it out so i will keep ya posted kevin

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
Release them all again tomorrow to lure the other pigeon. If not, it will probably just waiting for you tomorrow assuming that it circled back and forth at your place.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I hate this to. My young bird do this all the time, Many times. Just today, Sunday 5/17. one young cock disappear. He's been with me since squeaking, he's been flying around loft for a month now. And i am telling you every time i buy some birds ( i've got 3 young birds arrive today), it seems like one of my bird will disappear (bird that has been flown).

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Some of this can be atributed to the fact that it just happens in this game from time to time. They can get scared off and not be able to find their way back home, there are a million things that can go wrong. Until they all get to the point where they are routing, it is just a part of it all. Try to keep them hungry when they are let out. That will help.

Dan

·
Registered
99 Posts
As one fancier told me when you in this hobby you have to learn to sacrifice, learn to deal with the losses. Even though i know the rules of the game, it still painful to lose my "babies"

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
all is good he was on avery after work did some chores before i started chores i opened the trap door and went on to do my chores and went back 20 mins and he was in i have all 11 now yahoo!!!

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
I had one missing for a week, wrote him off as gone. Flew the rest and counted each night, a week later I had an extra bird. All my birds being white I had to count a few times to be sure then checked the bands, there he was. He is now my best homer and hawk watcher. He was also the one that got hit by a hawk and survived.

Tony

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
I had one missing for a week, wrote him off as gone. Flew the rest and counted each night, a week later I had an extra bird. All my birds being white I had to count a few times to be sure then checked the bands, there he was. He is now my best homer and hawk watcher. He was also the one that got hit by a hawk and survived.

Tony
Sounds like you shoud name this guy "Superman"!

I have had a similar development here. I had a youngster that I got a phone call about around a month ago. He got scared off the loft roof by a hawk along with the rest of the team and disapeared. The guy called 4 days later and had found the bird 50 miles away! I arranged to go pick him up. Had a great visit with this guy and his family. I brought the bird home, fattened him back up and he is now one of the strongest flyers on the team. Just goes to show you, you never know.

Dan

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
Congrats on the bird's return. Just imagine how it feels like when your bird returned from 1 month missing! I am still freaking happy and it is almost a week now! I can't shake my happiness. I feel so proud of that bird besides that it has puncture marks on his chest.

This is a second bird who came back to me with injury. The other bird came back after 4 days hiding/healing.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
birds have been out 3 xs this week and all are present have 11 of them and about 9 of them are routing will try tomorrow and see what they do later kevin

·
Registered
20,301 Posts

Tony
same here with the white birds....when I did some release training, not all came back...but a few days later, did a head count and walla, all present..they sneaked in at some point. from a distance you just don't know who's who...:D

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
Sounds like you shoud name this guy "Superman"!
I have had a similar development here. I had a youngster that I got a phone call about around a month ago. He got scared off the loft roof by a hawk along with the rest of the team and disapeared. The guy called 4 days later and had found the bird 50 miles away! I arranged to go pick him up. Had a great visit with this guy and his family. I brought the bird home, fattened him back up and he is now one of the strongest flyers on the team. Just goes to show you, you never know.

Dan

DO NOT NAME THE BIRD!!!
That's instant bad karma!! LOL
I've never had much luck with going up and picking up a bird and it being any smarter the next time..........those that get lost (for the most part) and have to be picked up don't usually turn out to be "the one"........however, those that get lost and are gone for days or weeks and find their way back home somehow and survive while missing, usually turn out to be the good ones and the ones that you almost CAN'T lose.
That doesn't mean don't go get them. I always go pick up my lost ones and do my best for them but at some point it's up to the bird. Some get lost the very next time out and some make it for a while, but eventually wind up being lost for good. :(

1 - 15 of 15 Posts