Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A couple of King pigeon questions.

How do pigeons see? Sometimes Angie, our King pigeon seems to look at us with one eye, from the side of her head. Other times, especially when she seems annoyed, she will look at us straight on -- with the beak pointing right at us. Any knowledge about this?

When she gets into direct sunlight, she will lift up a wing, outstretch it fully, close her eyes and seems to shudder and go into something like a short trance -- what is this?

Angie has started pecking at my outstretched hand, which I was warned means she is starting to accept us? Is this a way of creating a sense of dominance, as in 'pecking order'?

Thanks,
Arthur

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
Pigeons have a very wide range of sight, all except right behind the head. Looking with one eye gives them a better view of course and also makes it easier on them when looking up at something. They seem to tilt their head and look with one eye when curious about something.

Stretching her wings in the sun is sunbathing :) They like to lay down on their side and enjoy the warmth of the sun. Especially after a bath.

Yes the pecking is a territorial/dominance thing. When they stand up to you it is a sign they aren't afraid (or AS afraid as they could be). When pigeons are actually scared of someone/something, they either stay very still and lean away or run/fly away. I love it when my birds fight me. They are much more fun that way! :)

·
Registered
624 Posts
Pigeons have a very wide range of sight, all except right behind the head. Looking with one eye gives them a better view of course and also makes it easier on them when looking up at something. They seem to tilt their head and look with one eye when curious about something.

Stretching her wings in the sun is sunbathing :) They like to lay down on their side and enjoy the warmth of the sun. Especially after a bath.

Yes the pecking is a territorial/dominance thing. When they stand up to you it is a sign they aren't afraid (or AS afraid as they could be). When pigeons are actually scared of someone/something, they either stay very still and lean away or run/fly away. I love it when my birds fight me. They are much more fun that way! :)
Lol, little more kick in your day huh! lol :D :D

Lucas

·
Registered
624 Posts
Little buggars. Use me for poop practice. I walk in they get happy, then splat, right on my leg but it's worth it. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts