Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
a few pigeons had died, which disease caused this outbreak? URGENT help please

Dear all:

This past week, there are four dead wild pigeons on my balcony.
I am very worry of a "outbreak"

The symtoms are as follows:
they are so weak, they cannot fly away. they only can walk and I can catch them with gloves.

They did not eat, completely lost their appetite. just keep"sleeping"

they huddled together, they feel cold?

as for dropping, only very watery green droppings (large amount of watery substance).

I managed to save one pigeon and put in a box for a few days. before he died, he was breathing heavily. Last hour, he "open" his mouth to breathe. Then before he died,he shaked his wing a few times.
within one hour, still in his box indoor, his body is completed hardened, like a rock.

It had taken one week for them to die.
On last Tuesday, I saw only two pigeons with the above symtoms. On Friday, there are five pigeons that exhibited the same symtoms. Then Sunday morning, four are dead.

It is NOT PMV, as there is no twisted head, in my opinion.

Is this a poisoning case, but one week is "too long", isn't?

please help, I cannot afford a vet. Please help me as I am really panicked.
please reply, any suggestion or discussion are welcome.

Thanks, Joy

·
Registered
10,369 Posts
Hi Joy,

If they are generally run down or poorly nourished, any number of illnesses could effect them this way.

Can you get any Antibiotics to have on hand?

Phil
Las Vegas

·
Registered
12,522 Posts
Hmm... could be any number of things, but you'd worry alot about acute aspergillosis (from some REALLY bad feed) or acute lead toxicosis (lead poisoning from some ingested lead or lead-containing product). I'm afraid you'd need to do a necropsy to add more information for the diagnosis, though.

Pidgey

·
Registered
4,084 Posts
Given that (necropsy) is unlikely, since Joy cannot afford a vet...I think you have to start taking some best-guesses.

As Phil said....having some antibiotics on hand would be helpful. Where are you located ? Can you get some quickly ? Or do you (or any friends or family) have any human-grade antibiotics...such a Penicillin, Amoxycillin, Ciproflaxin (Baytril), Ceclor, or anything like that ?
How about activated charcoal tablets ?

Did any of the pigeons exhibit a lot of phlegm or discharge from their nostrils or mouth ? Was there a foul smell to their breath or any yellow growths in their mouth ?

It sounds like they slowly starved to death. Undoubtedly there were other symptoms, but it sounds like they just became too sick to eat (or it was too uncomfortable for them to eat...or somehow they were unable to digest/absorb their food). Could be viral, bacterial, or parasites, too....

Once you managed to catch one of them, it was still a few days before he/she passed....so....it may be possible to bring in another one and treat it, and hopefully he/she will react positively to a treatment.

Please reply to the above questions so we can offer more specific advice.

Thank you for caring ! They knew someone cared for them...and that means something !

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks all for replying.
I wonder where can I get these antibiotics?
any web sites you can recommend that I can purchase these medicine?

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Dear all:

This past week, there are four dead wild pigeons on my balcony.
I am very worry of a "outbreak"

The symtoms are as follows:
they are so weak, they cannot fly away. they only can walk and I can catch them with gloves.

They did not eat, completely lost their appetite. just keep"sleeping"

they huddled together, they feel cold?

as for dropping, only very watery green droppings (large amount of watery substance).

I managed to save one pigeon and put in a box for a few days. before he died, he was breathing heavily. Last hour, he "open" his mouth to breathe. Then before he died,he shaked his wing a few times.
within one hour, still in his box indoor, his body is completed hardened, like a rock.

It had taken one week for them to die.
On last Tuesday, I saw only two pigeons with the above symtoms. On Friday, there are five pigeons that exhibited the same symtoms. Then Sunday morning, four are dead.

It is NOT PMV, as there is no twisted head, in my opinion.

Is this a poisoning case, but one week is "too long", isn't?

please help, I cannot afford a vet. Please help me as I am really panicked.
please reply, any suggestion or discussion are welcome.

Thanks, Joy
It does sound as Jaye said that they starved to death.
You say that they were on your balcony, Being from the UK, I associate a balcony as being an outside area attatched to a block of flats, If this is the same, and they can not fly, how did they get there, also if it is the same, and they have come from another level, its possible they may have ingested rat poison that someone has put out.
Some rat/rodent poisons work in the manner of causing the subject to not want to eat or drink & therefore effectively starve to death. If this has happened, it could have been ingested several days before and this is the final effects as the pigeons last resources & energy have been used up.

The pigeon you had in the box, did it try to eat or drink any food or water you gave it ?

·
Registered
11,336 Posts
Your location might give us a clue as to what the possibilities are.

We are in the UK and last month our aviary feral pigeons had an outbreak of something similar, very watery droppings and weight loss. Many of them were affected. Our first thought was coccidiosis so we treated them all with Baycox, that had no effect. On the vet's advice we treated them with Flagyl and Baytril and they recovered but if they had been in the wild I think they would certainly have died.

·
Registered
4,084 Posts
Joy,

1) Did any of the pigeons exhibit a lot of phlegm or discharge from their nostrils or mouth ?

Was there a foul smell to their breath or any yellow growths in their mouth ?

2) Where are you located ?

IF in US, you can order Amoxycillin, Appartex, and Metronidazole from Foy's or Jedd's supply, online....and have it express-mailed or priority mailed to you.

If in Europe, I am sure others can suggest websites which will do the same. If elsewhere, we can likely find you some places which can ship to you. But we need an idea of where you live....

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I live in Canada. birds are wild and I just feeding them.
there is no particular smell.
I look up " coccidiosis" I feel the pigeons had them, very similar symtoms.
Do you think someone had released some sick birds in their loft to cause a few birds die so rapidly in a week?
if it is Coccidiosis, can you suggest how to prevent a outbreak?
how to administer the medicine?
Do you have any pigeons fully recovered from this? I am worry they will die of dehydration or starvation as they lose their appetite.
thank you all for replying. THANKS

·
Registered
4,084 Posts
Joyful...thank you for your reply.

Does coccidiosis cause those symptoms ? I guess I have never seen it in its late stages. You can see coccidiosis in a pigeon when their poops don't have any white and there seems to be a lot of water and the solids look like dark string or worms. So if you see this in the pigeons you feed, then it might be worth treating for that.

It is pretty easy to actually treat these Feral pigeons for coccidiosis.

You need to first buy something called Appartex. It is an anti-coccidial drug. It comes in pills. The directions would be to give the pigeon one pill, and then 10 days later, the second pill.

Jedd's pigeon supply (online - in California) sells it and can ship it to Canada. I think Foy's also in the u.s. also has it. Perhaps you can find a pigeon supply online in Canada, so it gets to you faster. Try to get it as soon as possible.

Unfortunately.....you of course cannot 'catch' the pigeons in the flock.

So this is what I do. If I have an idea of how many pigeons I will be feeding...I crush up around that # of pills (they crush very easily using a butter knife on it's side. You just put them on the counter and crush with the knife and it turns into a fine powder).

If there are, say, six pigeons...crush up 6 pills. Then wet the food you are going to give them with a spray bottle...just a little bit. So, put the food (seed or parrakeet pellets) in a container, spray it with water, then mix in the pill powder thoroughly. The powder will stick to the food.

Feed the pigeons this mixture. Also be sure to bring along some non-treated food because you want to throw some of that down as well since they may recognize the medicated food as being medicated.

I admit: this isn't very scientific....I mean, it could happen that all 6 pigeons do not get the same amount of the medication because one or two eat more quickly than the rest. So maybe a few get a half-dose, maybe a few get 1-1/4 of the dose. Try to see that all or most of the pigeons at least ingest SOME of the medicated food. It does work. The first dose tends to work very, very quickly...usually within 1-2 days there will be significant improvement. The 2nd dose is important because it may get whatever the first dose didn't take care of. It may also get to those pigeons who didn't get much in the first feeding.

Mark on the calendar the date they were given the first dose. Then 9-10 days later, give the second dose.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts