Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey Pigeon Talkers,

I came across a pigeon at an airsoft range about 3 weeks ago. It appeared to be without parents and the club president said it had been there for a few days by itself. We dropped in to see our friend who raises pigeons, who estimated it to be about 2-3 weeks old and gave us instructions on feeding and shelter. Happy to have information, we took the pigeon home.

3 Weeks on and the pigeon is going great! (I attached some pictures I took yesterday) We assume he's a male (our friend thinks he is) and he's starting to fly short distances. He eats seeds and looks happy and healthy. We have been keeping him in a cage for the last 3 weeks at night, and allowing him outside on the lawn or in the front netted area of the chook house for a few hours a day. But he's getting bigger and now we are faced with the problem of what to do with him :confused: We plan on keeping him, but in a loft rather than inside like we have been. He is tame (will perch on my shoulder and let me pick him up) so I'm not sure how well he'd cope with the move to a loft. We are considering getting a friend/mate for him to keep him company though, so that may help :).

Would you be able to help inform me on how to move him to the loft, ways to teach him to fly, and also, if possible, how to tell the gender of the bird?

Huge thanks!

Angus :D

P.S. The forum wouldn't let me upload all the photos so I put them on the cloud here:
http://cl.ly/0n0p141I1c2S0V0U2Z00
http://cl.ly/0n0p141I1c2S0V0U2Z00

Attachments

·
Registered
4,055 Posts

Greetings to you Angus! Welcome to Pigeon Talk. To answer some of your questions, it is normal for parents to kick their fledgling to the curb once they grow feathers and become independant. It must have made its way to you. believe it or not, pigeons seem to have an insinct to know where they are welcome and who they can trust. You should be honored!

Judging form the pictures she seems to be a cross between a blue bar and checker. Oh, I said "her", didn't I? Generally, grey pigeons have colorful irredescent feahers around their neck area, and yours seem a bit less vibrant indicating it is a female. It is a young bird, though, so a bit more time, a few more weeks, to see if the coloration deepens. The shape of the beak, is similar to my girl birds, and I am usually a good judge of determinig the sex.

If you have a small animal cage, it should be suitable for housing your bird, as long as it gets real sunshine (minimum 2 hours) and some flight time.A word of caution though, if you allow your pigeon to free-fly outside, it could be vulnerable to a hawk attack, and this time of the season, the mighty birds are hungry and love pigeons.

If you really want a mate, I would wait a while to insure the sex of this bird. Another thing , 1+1=2. If you allow your eggs to hatch, you will have 4 pigeons before you realize it. They do like to appropriate! There are ways to deter this, which can be discussed later, if you like.;)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Victor,
Thanks for all the information! I'm thinking of moving her into a loft soon (I have yet to purchase one though.) at what age would it be appropriate to do this, and how would I get her used to being in, and homing to the loft?

Angus.

·
Registered
4,055 Posts
"Would you be able to help inform me on how to move him to the loft, ways to teach him to fly, and also, if possible, how to tell the gender of the bird?"

I missed this part...

Do you have some type of a structure that is siutable or can be modified into a loft or coop? They adjust easily, as long as you don't just keep it in their and "forget" the bird. Single bird need your company, and see you as the mate, so your presence is important.

Your pigeon, as you and I have determined, IS a young one, and should be flying now. You can pick him/her up and hold it at your waist level, and just allow it to drop. It will flap its wings and figure tyhe art out. It may do so clumsily, but will learn. I have seen parent pigeons that just nudge their young birds from a high level, and they learn quick.

·
Registered
4,055 Posts
Lofts can be purchased already made and be be found from links that are available here on this site. Plans to build one can also be found. Either way, it can be expensive.The simple coop that can be seen below my signature on the bottom, cost me $350.00 in materials, mainly wood, about 6 or 7 years ago. I bet it would cost more, now.That does not include the special paint, hardware cloth, plexiglass,& door...so the price adds up.:eek:

If you know someone who is good with a hammer and putting structures together, that will help.

·
Banned
3,342 Posts
Hi Angus, You do not need to be too concerned about bird of prey in ChCh, The harriers are to slow and as you know they are reasonable scarce around our area, Also they seem to get plenty of roadkill.

Victor, It is the middle of Summer in NZ so the hawks are at their least hungry at this time of year.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi Victor, I don't have any structures at the moment, but we are demolishing a shed soon which has some good planks in it so I could build out of that. My dad is pretty good with a hammer and nails so he could help :)

·
Registered
910 Posts
cool, cant you use the shed as a loft? or does it need to go because its in the way or something? an old shed would make a great loft. Im in chch and keep lots of pigeons. Your little ferral is cute its a Blue Check. you may like the NPA pigeon show. It going to be a really big one this year. Its in june or july.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
cool, cant you use the shed as a loft? or does it need to go because its in the way or something? an old shed would make a great loft. Im in chch and keep lots of pigeons. Your little ferral is cute its a Blue Check. you may like the NPA pigeon show. It going to be a really big one this year. Its in june or july.
It's in the way of a new gate, so it has to go unfortunately, but there's going to be tons of wood left over :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts