Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! My name is elias and i am new in the forum so excuse me if i make any mistake with the rules.
I bought one year ago 2 white doves. Now they made 3 eggs. They broke the one egg and the mother went the other 2 eggs long from the nest. Today, 2 days after that, i took the eggs and i went them back to the nest and the dove "took them again under her" (i don't know the word in english). I want to ask: The eggs will not have spoiled now? He had the eggs under her for a few days, she threw them away for 2 days and now she have them again under her. The eggs will not have spoiled now after all that?

P.S: It is the first birth and i don't know.

Thanks for your time and sorry for my english....

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum. If the eggs were not incubated (sat on) for two days, I don't expect that they are good any more.
Also, these 2 doves are the only two that you have? I ask, because they normally lay 2 eggs, so if there are three eggs, you might have 2 girl doves.

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
Welcome to the forum,

I agree that if you found 3 eggs, then both doves might be hens because as Renee pointed out they usually lay 2 eggs. If the birds have been incubating the eggs for more than 20 days it may have not been fertile so you can just throw it away.

If it has been 2 days, then I don't expect it to be spoiled. But it may not be fertile. If you believe that you both have a real pair (male and female), then let the birds incubate for 18 days or so. If it doesn't hatch, the birds will abandon it. They will know.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
They incubated the eggs for 3-4 days. Then they went them away, they left them for 2 days and now that i took the eggs back to the nest they incubated them again. If the eggs are not be fertile because they left them without incubate them for 2 days, then there is no reason to leave the eggs there. I have only 2 doves. When i bought them, i bought them for real pair.... And they seem for pair... the male (the one i think it is male and they told me that is the male when i bought them) is little bigger, and he seems that it takes care of the other. I have seen them to clean its other and so on...

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
They incubated the eggs for 3-4 days. Then they went them away, they left them for 2 days and now that i took the eggs back to the nest they incubated them again. If the eggs are not be fertile because they left them without incubate them for 2 days, then there is no reason to leave the eggs there. I have only 2 doves. When i bought them, i bought them for real pair.... And they seem for pair... the male (the one i think it is male and they told me that is the male when i bought them) is little bigger, and he seems that it takes care of the other. I have seen them to clean its other and so on...
I have two hens that have bonded, they love on each other ect, like yours do. you can give them fake eggs of marbles or something instead of the real eggs and they will lay on them for a few weeks and then start over with new eggs again. it is good to do this so they don't lay eggs alot and get in poor health from it.:)

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
If i' ll just take away the eggs is problem???
thanks a lot for your help...
It can be, you want them to complete the cycle, if you take the eggs and do not relpace with fake ones they will lay more and deplete their stores of calcium/minerals by their bodies making alot of eggs, and could cause things such as eggbinding where the egg can't pass because the shell did not get hard enough to pass. so yes it could lead to problems. so just let them sit on their eggs because they are not fertile as it sounds like you have two hens, or you can give them fake ones as well to sit on, they will give up in a few weeks. these are small DOVES right? not pigeons?

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
If i' ll just take away the eggs is problem???
thanks a lot for your help...
I agree you have to replace them with dummy eggs, as she needs to complete the cycle in order to replenish the calcium reserves. Calcium is not only necessary for making egg shells, but also to enable the muscles to be strong enough to push the eggs out.

Make sure they have access to plenty of calcium grit.

·
Registered
9,856 Posts
Frankly, just on the off chance that they are fertile, I see no harm in letting them continue to sit on these eggs. If they are fertile you'll have babies and if not, you don't lose anything since you're thinking of throwing them away, anyhow. It does sound like two hens though.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I replace with fake eggs and today i found the TWO doves incubated the 3 fake eggs and a new forth egg!!!!!!!!! I CAN'T BEALIVE IT! I start thinking that i have to females.... i can't explain what the hell... maybe the man who gave that to me, he said to me lies. I looked "under" them but i can't understand nothing!!!
Yes the are small "birds". They said to me that is the white doves that magicians use...

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
I replace with fake eggs and today i found the TWO doves incubated the 3 fake eggs and a new forth egg!!!!!!!!! I CAN'T BEALIVE IT! I start thinking that i have to females.... i can't explain what the hell... maybe the man who gave that to me, he said to me lies. I looked "under" them but i can't understand nothing!!!
Yes the are small "birds". They said to me that is the white doves that magicians use...
yes you have a bonded pair of hens, I do too. it is really hard to know the sex, they look all alike. the way the male one acts is a good indication, he would bow and coo, and to know the hen 100% they lay eggs. I think having two hens is a good thing, unless you wanted to breed.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts