Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got the newspaper this morning and saw that my friend and mentor Ernie Silveri got some of his pigeons returned after a friend of his found an advertisement on the internet where his prized birds were being sold for $5 each.

Heres the article:

http://www.abbotsfordtimes.com/story.html?id=5061474

He had over 300 pigeons and fancy indoor birds stolen. There have been many cases of stolen pigeons in my city and neighboring towns/citys. Over 5000 pigeons stolen in just my city alone. And my city only has a population of 150,000-170,000 so it's a pretty big deal. I just hate it how people who have no previous experience with birds such as pigeons steal them and try to resell them. The health of the birds is put into jeopardy because the living conditions are most likely inhumane. I sure hope all of this stops but I'm glad Ernie got about 1/8th of the birds that were stolen back.

·
Registered
509 Posts
I'm noy saying it wont happen here but Im proud to live in the woods. I assume the responsibility to protect my animals out here, instead of waitind for the cops to finish doughnuts and mosey on out her fron town. People know if they steal out here they have a long run in the wide open before theyre out of gun range.
If everything was still an eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth all the cowards would quit stealing or be blind and toothless.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
I got the newspaper this morning and saw that my friend and mentor Ernie Silveri got some of his pigeons returned after a friend of his found an advertisement on the internet where his prized birds were being sold for $5 each.

Heres the article:

http://www.abbotsfordtimes.com/story.html?id=5061474

He had over 300 pigeons and fancy indoor birds stolen. There have been many cases of stolen pigeons in my city and neighboring towns/citys. Over 5000 pigeons stolen in just my city alone. And my city only has a population of 150,000-170,000 so it's a pretty big deal. I just hate it how people who have no previous experience with birds such as pigeons steal them and try to resell them. The health of the birds is put into jeopardy because the living conditions are most likely inhumane. I sure hope all of this stops but I'm glad Ernie got about 1/8th of the birds that were stolen back.
It must have been a terrible moment when he discovered his birds gone , but I am glad he has been able to get 60 % back thus far ...........Hopefully he will get lots more back ......and the scum bag will do jail time !

thanks for adding the article .

·
Registered
226 Posts
I'm noy saying it wont happen here but Im proud to live in the woods. I assume the responsibility to protect my animals out here, instead of waitind for the cops to finish doughnuts and mosey on out her fron town. People know if they steal out here they have a long run in the wide open before theyre out of gun range.
If everything was still an eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth all the cowards would quit stealing or be blind and toothless.
love your opinoin and saying on your handle, as it makes perfect life sense as well as here.

·
Registered
226 Posts
i always thought stealing homing pigeons was a funny idea, as they would just fly back as soon as get out anyway, but recent seeing people who keep confined to the stock cages, probably for this reason. though im against those who take animals bred for centuries to be active, and confine them as "show" animals to tiny cages and never have them out other than to show them off. usless people creating pathetic creatures out of something great. i was vet assistant for years and the differance in most "working" dogs, to the mentally and physically stunted ones is like a totally differant species, so not sure how these standards of perfection get taken seriously, as if the animal cannot demonstrate the abilities if its name, it shouldnt be allowed to breed, not alone all this garbage going around of not considering working animals show quality. though heard of great homers stolen and taken states away on purpose hoping they can be sold so they can demonstrate flying but come back to new spot.

·
Registered
226 Posts
does it seem like it was someone he knew who fawned over his birds, methodically taking birds and maybe stuff for and with them, or was it like a snatch and grab of some run of the mill low lives? just thought of above part saying was selling champion birds for $5, so guessing low lives, unless the crook had the sense to take off bands carefully from birds before or when sold.. can you put a statement that would show up when some one runs the bands of birds, that might be stolen??? if not itd be a good idea, or micro chip them, so they could be found if used in compititions later like dogs.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
i always thought stealing homing pigeons was a funny idea, as they would just fly back as soon as get out anyway, but recent seeing people who keep confined to the stock cages, probably for this reason. though im against those who take animals bred for centuries to be active, and confine them as "show" animals to tiny cages and never have them out other than to show them off. usless people creating pathetic creatures out of something great. i was vet assistant for years and the differance in most "working" dogs, to the mentally and physically stunted ones is like a totally differant species, so not sure how these standards of perfection get taken seriously, as if the animal cannot demonstrate the abilities if its name, it shouldnt be allowed to breed, not alone all this garbage going around of not considering working animals show quality. though heard of great homers stolen and taken states away on purpose hoping they can be sold so they can demonstrate flying but come back to new spot.
Look at the pictures with the article--his loft looks like it had plenty of room for the birds. I don't have a problem with the way the guy was keeping them.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Look at the pictures with the article--his loft looks like it had plenty of room for the birds. I don't have a problem with the way the guy was keeping them.
i didnt see the article attachment, or pics, but was referring to those that are in hobby, that steal and then keep the birds locked away in the tiny "breeder cages". if he was the guy heard about before, and last, he was a very healthy contributor to the hobby of avian enthusiasts.

though to be fair, those that have seen my setups i had/have temp, some were in smaller cages or alot in one, though doors usually open unless others are out that are more aggressive, but some just like to stay in, on or around their cages, so im not saying all birds with small cages are abused, but as long as they have rotated or/and constant enrichment and access to fly and especially walk even around and stretch their wings, they seem perfectly happy (except the ones that hate leaving cages and/or around area of cages, as they scream bloody murder and try to get back if taken out to far away), and some just dont like to many toys, trinkets, or bobbles, as mine mostly like to take junk to play with, leaving the box of toys mostly unused.. lol

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
i didnt see the article attachment, or pics, but was referring to those that are in hobby, that steal and then keep the birds locked away in the tiny "breeder cages". if he was the guy heard about before, and last, he was a very healthy contributor to the hobby of avian enthusiasts.
Ok, I was just confused by your previous comment then. I thought that you meant that it was wrong to keep fancy pigeons for some reason and that the original owner was bad somehow for it.

I agree that any bird thief (for profit/etc) is a slimeball--especially if they treat the birds badly.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
does it seem like it was someone he knew who fawned over his birds, methodically taking birds and maybe stuff for and with them, or was it like a snatch and grab of some run of the mill low lives? just thought of above part saying was selling champion birds for $5, so guessing low lives, unless the crook had the sense to take off bands carefully from birds before or when sold.. can you put a statement that would show up when some one runs the bands of birds, that might be stolen??? if not itd be a good idea, or micro chip them, so they could be found if used in compititions later like dogs.
If he had 500 birds then he probably was selling a lot to many people. So the thieves probably go to loft to loft around town check out the birds buy one then steal the rest later

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
If he had 500 birds then he probably was selling a lot to many people. So the thieves probably go to loft to loft around town check out the birds buy one then steal the rest later
The article said that there have been lots of animal thefts in general in that area including livestock. It sounds like a modern form of "rustlers."

Silveri found himself the latest victim in rash of livestock thefts that have plagued Abbotsford the past seven months. Since November more than 5,500 pigeons, 17 goats and hundreds of chickens have been plucked from local farms.

·
Registered
226 Posts
we have had a similar thing going on around me, but i have dogs, and some neighbors are cops, who shoot first, then just drag you into the woods so they dont have to do any more paperwork than the standard "accidental" weapons discharge formalities. the sellers sometimes are the crooks and steal back or check to see what everyones got to sell, then snatch it, then suddenly they come up with that animal, but some cut marked feathers or noticeable features so as not to be so obvious, though if you know what to look for you can usually spot at least half a dozen stolen birds, as well as other stuff aside at auctions and sometimes flea market locally, that is brought in from close around to neighboring states. only recently seeing pigeons though, so wonder...

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ernie still hasn't gotten any word on the rest of his birds. He still has a couple hundred birds left. Mostly rollers and muffed tumblers. He has MANY large lofts and the birds were very well kept and happy. Ernie owns a chick hatchery and sells to local farms so thats why he has so many pigeons. I feel sorry for him :(

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.