Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We live at 3400 ft elevation. Expecting snow in a few weeks. This bird has been with us for a week. Fairly friendly, but can't get too close. He has 2 bands. Can't read them. Do we let him alone or build a house for him?

·
Registered
911 Posts
Since the bird has two bands on him, he is obviously lost. See if there is any way you can get close enough the read the bands. This bird is domesticated and does not know how to forrage for food for himself. If you could provide some seed and water for him it would help save his life. Maybe by placing food out you will be able to get closer to read the bands. He will need protection from the weather.

Thank you so much for your concern for this bird. Welcome to our forum. I"m sure there will be more members on shortely to offer more advice.

Where are you located? Possibly we have a member in your area that can offer you assistance.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
This bird needs food and shelter for winter. You can lure him with seeds to garage, shade etc. This is domestic bird used to humans so it shouldn't be a problem.

·
Registered
459 Posts
hi!!! welcome to pigeon.biz it a great forum!!!

o.k you can build a small box for him with a window and ventilation holes( 3feetby3feetby3feet) put some seed under a box and plase a stick that has a string attached to the stick and put it on in the midlle of the lip of the box so that it is lifted up and he can get under to eat . once he is under take the string and pull quickly so that he is trapped. bring the box into a small room and try to hold him. and read the bands. you can then place him in the small coop and leave him there for about 3-4 days. after this time let him out and leave the door to the coop open with food and water inside. he will probably come back at night and eat and drink. make sure you let him out before feeding so that he is hungry and wants to go back in. where are you located? you can keep him untill you find his owner. dont worry you wont hurt him. i have done this with sick ferals and works great. please i am just trying to help so no nasty cruel coments!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Thank you so much! He was here all day and yumming up the "dove and quail" food I offered. Gone tonight, but was gone night before last and back. We have a "water fountain" available to all the birds. If he stays we will build a "house" for him. If I can lure him close enough to read his bands, I will contact his owner. We are in Murphys, Calif. 95247

·
Registered
911 Posts
Thank you so much for caring for this bird. Please tell us where you are located, we might have a member in your area to assist you.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts