Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, my white pair has built a nest right on the floor by the corner, what should i do? Should i lock them in her nest box until she lays, or can i move the eggs to her nest box after she lays them on the floor, or will she give up on them if i do that. Also how many days until the nest is built that the hen lays, or you cant tell that away.
I don't want to keep them on the floor because i'm scared something might happen to them from the other birds. The cock that will have the eggs from is the dominant and the biggest in the loft but still that does not matter if he starts fighting with another cock. Need some help on what to do, thanks.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
can you swap out her eggs for fake ones and have another pair raise those babies?

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
has the other pair layed eggs yet?

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yea, they layed a couple of weeks ago but i threw them away after a week of incubation, because they both were not fertile. so it has been a week since i threw them away from that pair. But the white pair that has built the nest on the floor, this is their first time having eggs in my loft.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
I would try giving the pair that had the infertile eggs the eggs from the pair on the floor
I have talked to people about pairs that lay on the floor and all have told me if you can get away without having them on the floor its MUCH better
Im sure Renee (Lovebirds) will chime in shortly with her story :)

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yea i remember she posted something similar, but i think she kept them on the floor. I will try giving them to the other pair, hopefully they are fertile in the first place.

·
Registered
702 Posts
i would give the other pair the one that were layed on the floor and lock the floor pair in a nest box they should soon change nest spots

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
Hi, my white pair has built a nest right on the floor by the corner, what should i do? Should i lock them in her nest box until she lays, or can i move the eggs to her nest box after she lays them on the floor, or will she give up on them if i do that. Also how many days until the nest is built that the hen lays, or you cant tell that away.
I don't want to keep them on the floor because i'm scared something might happen to them from the other birds. The cock that will have the eggs from is the dominant and the biggest in the loft but still that does not matter if he starts fighting with another cock. Need some help on what to do, thanks.
I personally would not let the pair raise babies in the floor. You can do this. When she lays an egg, take it away immediately and give her a dummy egg. When she lays the second egg, do the same thing. You can hold these eggs in the house for a few days, up to a week I've been told. Wait for the other pair to lay eggs and I would think it won't be long before they do since you threw out their eggs a week ago. Once they have laid their two eggs, give them THESE eggs that you've been holding and throw their eggs out.
OR.......you COULD lock them in a box until she lays, but I personally don't like to do that. It's almost as if you're punishing them. Since there's a nest built, she might lay in another day or so or it might be another week. Can't always tell unless you know the history of the bird and how they usually do things.
Do you have any idea WHY they choose the floor? Some birds are just floor dwellers........don't know why exactly. But then sometimes they may be getting run out of the box they want and they finally just give up trying to take a box and go to the floor.
Having them in the floor puts the babies at risk once the parents stop spending all their time with them and the pair can even spend the whole day chasing all the other birds off of the floor. I've seen that too. No one can get a drink of water or grit or food.........it's just not a good idea.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
No they are the dominant in the loft. They have the top nest and the biggest, you could fit 2 pairs in there 4 birds comfortably... The cock is very dominant and it seems that he owns the floor. So there is no reasons why they wont lay in the nest box. Should i just lock them up in their nest box, its not like they are cramped up in there...?
Also they started building the nest about 3 days ago, and it looks now as if they are done. The cock is very aggressive with the other cocks and he always drives them out of their nest, he is just a very aggressive bird overall.

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
No they are the dominant in the loft. They have the top nest and the biggest, you could fit 2 pairs in there 4 birds comfortably... The cock is very dominant and it seems that he owns the floor. So there is no reasons why they wont lay in the nest box. Should i just lock them up in their nest box, its not like they are cramped up in there...?
Also they started building the nest about 3 days ago, and it looks now as if they are done. The cock is very aggressive with the other cocks and he always drives them out of their nest, he is just a very aggressive bird overall.
You could try to lock them up and see what happens. Just watch and make sure that HE doesn't beat her up trying to "drive" her to where HE thinks the nest should be. I'd take the bowl and nest they've built and put it in with them. Don't know till you try.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
I think shes saying go ahead and try that
wont know till you try
it would be better than risking a baby getting scalped IMO

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I think shes saying go ahead and try that
wont know till you try
it would be better than risking a baby getting scalped IMO
.No im saing after the eggs are layed on the floor move them to the nest?
She said to lock them now.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
oh sorry lol
ummmm....
if you move them after she lays she might abandon them

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
ok, so i cant move the eggs and her to the nest box once they are layed?
I be honest to you, if she is moved to another location, she is not going to sit on those eggs...If you have a milk crate for them to use it TEMPORARY until they hatch the eggs or maybe until the babies are about a week old then try moving them to another locations or nestbox...For now you can leave them on the floor but give them some privacy by covering the milk crate with a box on the front of it and let them hatch the eggs...

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
she has not laid yet pegasus, just made a nest on the floor. I would go ahead and lock them in it with a nest bowl and some material to make a nest and put the feed and water in there. see if they build and lay in the nest box, no harm in trying as she has not layed yet....it may be hard to time the eggs from this pair your talking of to the pair that should be laying again...just see what happens with your lock up and go from there.:)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts