Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just sold two of my good cock birds. So I now have the challenge of finding the next stud out of what I currently have. How many of you have had this challenge before?

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
LuckyT, like David Clausing said himself, "It's a challenge to find the next great prepotent cock!"

lostflight, I do not visit the other site anymore because of the level of immaturity there. No offense, but I feel this site offers more to me than the other one. If you want to learn, you can always ask me or anyone here.

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
My thoughts here are that if you have a great Cock bird that you want to breed from him to produce your new founding cock birds. Now, my thoughts are if you sold those two that they were not your "Primo" as the New Mexico folks would say.

What I do is look for the best birds that I can bring in. In my opinion, I have 6 or 8 primo cock birds that I am breeding from. I have 9 cock birds in the loft that have produced winners for me. These I do not part with. I look to offspring of these for my new generation of breeders. If I had to choose only one to start over with, I could not.

Now what to look for in a new breeder. First I would look for a proven breeder that still has some years left in him. Also one that complements your birds. What distance do you want? Conformation? Size? etc.

What I would do is obtain four or five cock birds from a proven breeder and a proven family and breed from them all. Here you could then select the best out of the bunch. Another method is to find a trusted fancier and ask them which bird is their best breeding cock. Then get a brother of him. Better yet find brothers that are breeding winners and get a brother of theirs.

Randy

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
I misunderstood the question. The best of what you have would be easy. The birds that has produced the most winners. The most top 10 birds. A bird that hits in the nest them best %. I could choose my stud cock this way. I would go with "Buzz". He breeds me winners every year. Or "Kahunna" who bred "Buzz" and my futurity winner. Or "Ed" or "Tippy" or "Maverick", Ok not that easy.

My conclusion is to not just have one king of the castle.

Randy

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
I think Kal-El is looking for studs that are better than his. I suppose he is going to find those birds that already won records and probably gonna be expensive. I'll say it is an upgrade. I think I've heard someone said sell the good birds, but kept the best ones. There is always a better bird than yours, I'll say. I wonder if you can purchase the brother or sister of the birds that beat you in the competition. Will they sell?

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
I've just sold two of my good cock birds. So I now have the challenge of finding the next stud out of what I currently have. How many of you have had this challenge before?

Ok, this was his question!

He said good cocks, not his best cocks. If he would have said he sold his best cocks I would have said he was either getting out of flying or he's a fool!

To sell a few good breeders after the breeding season is over is a common thing. Normaly it is by pairs but the resault is the same. You must find new birds to take their place. If as you state you are looking to replace them with birds you already have then you need to look at each cocks ped. and race record. Look for cocks with the best race record. Look for birds out of the stock that has flowen best for you.

Now, to answer your question. How many of you have had this challenge before? Many!!!

Next Question please. LOL

Ace

·
Registered
5,367 Posts
I transfer ownership of some of my good breeders every year. Following the Ludo Claessen method of, "remove good in order to make room for better". The new breeders will be birds I have purchased and/or the top YB racers for the season. The thinking is, if you don't replace some of what you currently have, then how will you increase the quality of your colony ?

If you are not replacing the birds you sold with new ones, then you will simply have a little more room in your loft. Won't be that big of a challenge to figure out your next big stud. You simply consult your race sheets of the YB's you produce. If your four top winners are all from the same pair, then it's pretty easy to figure out. For example, last year I sent a bunch to some One Loft events, the #1 & #2 birds were brother & sister, so in that case, you did not need to be a geneticist to figure it out.

It's not fool proof, because your star racer may not turn out to be your star breeder. But your star breeder may produce both star breeders and racers, so you might consider retaining the star racer and his so so sister or brother, as they might be the star breeder.

I am assuming that you already have an idea as to what breeders are the producers, since you said you sold two good ones, which means you already have the breeding history of your remaining stock, so you should already have an idea as to who is producing what.

As a side bar, pigeon people seem to place a lot more importance on the cocks. And I'm not convinced that is the correct attitude, as it requires both a hen and a cock to produce offspring.....;)

·
Registered
5,367 Posts
I think Kal-El is looking for studs that are better than his. I suppose he is going to find those birds that already won records and probably gonna be expensive. I'll say it is an upgrade. I think I've heard someone said sell the good birds, but kept the best ones. There is always a better bird than yours, I'll say. I wonder if you can purchase the brother or sister of the birds that beat you in the competition. Will they sell?
Actually, I think it is much more easy to purchase a star racer, then it is to purchase a star breeder. The best of both world's is to acquire a world class racer which is also a proven world class producer. But, those are the things which legends are made of, and such pigeons are often out of reach. If you happen to buy such a pigeon, it is often by accident....such as you purchase the bird very young, and the owner was not aware of the bird's true value.

In the past, I have been able to gain access to some good fanciers and their birds. Being able to do that can have some great advantages. However, my methods would no longer work if I published them here on these pages. For most readers, the answer may very well rest in your own combine. You will have to put 2 and 2 together, read between the lines, and figure it out. :p

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Thank you for the insight Warren. As I have mentioned, I sold two good cock birds. But as you have eluded to, I already have two good producing birds that are half brother and sister. They share the same dam, but both their parents are full brothers. In other words, they are siblings. Now comes the challenge of breeding out of the ones I have left. In essence, you can say my aim is to ""remove good in order to make room for better".

·
Registered
508 Posts
No insight here, but sounds like fun to me! Best of luck to you. :) I understand about the other forum. I am on this forum much more often.

Hey did you hear my permit hearing is next Monday?? I'm finally doing it. If all goes well my loft will be in my yard around the first week of May. I'm so excited.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.